Upgrade question

kaceyisme

If you receive a free upgrade, do you get credited the Captains Club points for the cabin level that you booked or the higher level that you were upgraded to?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by kaceyisme

I "room transferred" a friend who was in an inside cabin to my Royal Suite after we boarded. He paid for inside only. His sea pass account was then billed for the extra $3.50 per day gratuity. we did this so he could get the free beverage package tacked on to my reservation.

He got points for sailing in the Royal.

This was Constellation January 2014 for 5 nights.

The rules seem to say you get points based on what you pay for, but in this case he only paid for the Inside..

I "room transferred" a friend who was in an inside cabin to my Royal Suite after we boarded. He paid for inside only. His sea pass account was then billed for the extra $3.50 per day gratuity. we did this so he could get the free beverage package tacked on to my reservation.

The rules seem to say you get points based on what you pay for, but in this case he only paid for the Inside..

Hi cle_guy ,

How do you transfer from one cabin to another, do you see the front desk ? one of my friends is in a 4 berth cabin ,as I have a much bigger cabin ie the Penthouse ,with only 1 person in it ,was thinking of paying for her to be moved to mine ,would I do it now or wait till boarding ?

Cheers Deb

Hi cle_guy ,

How do you transfer from one cabin to another, do you see the front desk ? one of my friends is in a 4 berth cabin ,as I have a much bigger cabin ie the Penthouse ,with only 1 person in it ,was thinking of paying for her to be moved to mine ,would I do it now or wait till boarding ?

Cheers Deb

I did at after boarding, we went to Michael's Lounge and had the concierge take care of it as we sat in the lounge sipping bubbly :-)

Having concierge do it, no fees were involved such as paying for 3rd and 4th passenger at higher passenger suite rate versus what they already paid for in the standard cabin, though as I noted, they did tack on the extra $3.50 per day gratuity.

I explained it as 2 of us are in the RS, and our 3rd got "assigned" to a stranger for a roommate thru our travel agent's group share program, and would prefer he just stay with us on the sofa bed...

As you are single in PH, the added person could then get the perks like your 2nd for specialty dining Michaels access etc. As a solo, they will only give you 1 specialty doing space, not 2 , even though you paid for 2. I had this argument on my November reflection sailing when in the PH.

YMMV, of course, but this is how I handled it and out worked perfectly.

Alternatively, could get your butler or concierge to make some "pass keys" to give to other guests. Did this on my 1st sailing, that was in a PH and had a friend staying down the hall in his own cabin.

If you receive a free upgrade, do you get credited the Captains Club points for the cabin level that you booked or the higher level that you were upgraded to?

You get the credit for the cabin you paid for. (With some aberrations)

If you pay extra for an upgrade, even as little as $1, you will get the points associated with the cabin purchase.

Kurt it's complicated but that wasn't an upgrade.

Kurt it's complicated but that wasn't an upgrade.

Perhaps, but the transferred guest did not pay the extra person charges that are higher in a suite versus his assigned cabin, so same methodology, no? Everyone is saying you get points based on the cabin category you pay to sail in, not the category you actually sail in.

Clearly I have an actual experience that does not follow this rule.

I.e. a standard cabin would have paid for example's sake, (not sure what the actual amounts are) $150 extra for 3rd and 4th. The Suite would charge $500 for 3rd and 4th.

My guest paid for one category, did not pay any more money to sail in another cabin and got the perks and points of the higher category cabin.

It's definitely a YMMV situation is all I'm pointing out. We have lots of anecdotal and theoretical evidence in this thread and a couple real experiences.

Part of the purpose (to me anyway) of forums like Crusie Critic is finding the "inside scoop" and little nuances for ways to bend and get around the rules or policies that are in place using legitimate methods.

I will be aboard the Century next Sunday, going to Alaska. I was upgraded from an ocean view to a Family Veranda. I too was curious as to the points I would be accorded so I called the Captain's Club. I was told I would be getting the points based on the cabin I will be sailing in. Who knows? Will let you know after the cruise.:)

Oh the secrets of upgrading...if you can only figure out how they do it:confused:

I know that we are talking Celebrity here but in over 25 combined sailings on Royal/Celebrity both with no upgrades I was upgraded 2 times in a row on Oasis/Allure from a balcony to a junior suite. As far as the points...got the points for the balcony...NOT the Junior Suite. To further make you wonder...with both these upgrades I had reserved the same exact cabin #. Makes one wonder if they look at upgrading the same certain cabin #'s:confused:...just seemed very coincidental that I was never upgraded and then all of a sudden twice booking same cabin # that I never booked before.

I'm curious to hear more of other people's experiences as X's practices seem inconsistent.

I booked Inside Guarantee, and was assigned 2C Veranda.

If they give us the points for the cabin we sail in, we will finally move up from Classic to Select. I know the differences of benefits between these 2 tires are not much, but with the new system the points are really hard to earn.

I'm curious to hear more of other people's experiences as X's practices seem inconsistent.

I booked Inside Guarantee, and was assigned 2C Veranda.

If they give us the points for the cabin we sail in, we will finally move up from Classic to Select. I know the differences of benefits between these 2 tires are not much, but with the new system the points are really hard to earn.

Celebrity rarely gives free upgrades. Chances are slim to none. You

do read about folks getting one but the majority of times it does not

happen. You booked an gty inside and they gave you balcony

for the same price? I would say that is in the slim category...VERY

unusual...congrats on that one:)

I have near 40 cruises now and have never been upgraded for free.

Gave up on looking for that a long time ago...I just book a cabin I

am happy with and don't worry about getting something better for

free.;)....

Couple of years ago I booked an OV guarantee and received and OV. Two weeks before sailing when I checked my account I noticed I had been upgraded to a balcony. One day before sailing when checking my account again, I noticed that I had been upgraded again to Concierge! Received Captain Club points for the Concierge cabin! Helped me earn Elite!

Hi Lois R,

I was very surprised to have 2C veranda as well. This will be our third cruise with Celebrity. The first time we sailed in balcony, the second time in oceanview. However, this is the first time we booked guarantee cabin. Of course, we did not expect to get such a big upgrade. and we would be happy to be in inside cabin as well.

The cabin was assigned in less than a month after booking, a couple of month before sailing. We are sailing in less than a week. The assigned cabin is still the same, no downgrade or upgrade.

By the way, I have read other threads about some cruises where many people in guarantee inside are being upgrade to balcony. Some even go up to 2B or 1C.

Oh the secrets of upgrading...if you can only figure out how they do it:confused:

I know that we are talking Celebrity here but in over 25 combined sailings on Royal/Celebrity both with no upgrades I was upgraded 2 times in a row on Oasis/Allure from a balcony to a junior suite. As far as the points...got the points for the balcony...NOT the Junior Suite. To further make you wonder...with both these upgrades I had reserved the same exact cabin #. Makes one wonder if they look at upgrading the same certain cabin #'s:confused:...just seemed very coincidental that I was never upgraded and then all of a sudden twice booking same cabin # that I never booked before.

Maybe that cabin has a problem, they don't take it out of service, so they keep moving anyone who books it to another cabin. Or maybe they have a guest or staff person in it long term, and keep moving those who book it out?

I'd also add, I think it will depend on when you're upgraded what points you get. If your reservation is officially upgraded pre-cruise, I'd reckon you're likely to get the points for the cabin you've been assigned to on your reservation. If you're cabin is moved by the ship, or last minute, maybe you get the points for the cabin you paid for.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Maybe that cabin has a problem, they don't take it out of service, so they keep moving anyone who books it to another cabin. Or maybe they have a guest or staff person in it long term, and keep moving those who book it out?

I'd also add, I think it will depend on when you're upgraded what points you get. If your reservation is officially upgraded pre-cruise, I'd reckon you're likely to get the points for the cabin you've been assigned to on your reservation. If you're cabin is moved by the ship, or last minute, maybe you get the points for the cabin you paid for.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Both times I was upgraded pre-cruise...first about 30 days out....second about 2 weeks out...points received for what paid for.

I think where the confusion may be coming from here is with booking a Guar cabin and then receiving a higher category.....that is NOT truly considered an upgrade. Booking a Guar means exactly that...you are guarantied a cabin in the category you took the Guar at OR a higher category. I have booked Guar cabins and several times received a higher category...BUT i don't consider that an upgrade.

Edited by bajathree

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you talking about the 1 cat upgrade given to all Capt Club members?

If so, the upgrade is in the same point cat not a higher one.

•One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/terms-and-conditions?scrollID=oneCategory

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

Edited by wallie5446