Opinion on Oceania Cruises

gusjakefred

AND, this is just one of the reasons we love O. We carry on a bottle of Scotch & a bottle of Bourbon so we can enjoy drinks in our room/balcony while getting ready for dinner.

HOWEVER, we also go to the lounges, listen to the music and visit with friends while we have another pre-dinner drink (Manhattans - yum yum). THEN we enjoy a glass of wine from the bottle/s we have purchased.

We have cruised since the 50's, and it is nice how we are treated on O. :D

You mention people bringing on cases of wine and liquor. The policy is clear in just 3 bottles of wine. If cases are allowed just what would you think abuse is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I have stated many times that the "official" rule is published for legal reasons but not generally enforced. I have also repeated the obvious fact that the cruise line cannot very well publish a contradictory policy establishing the lack of enforcement as fact. Therefore, we have experience as the only guide. While the regular posters on this forum may be relatively few in number, their experience and knowledge of the cruise line is almost staggering in its entirety. Sometimes you just have to trust someone.

Formerly you were able to bring on-board unlimited wines and spirits but their new "official" policy says no liquor and 3 bottles of wine per cabin. I have had some friends who were prevented from bringing on more than 3. Another said they looked the other way for passengers in suites... <snip>...

Yes I have gotten free gratuities on all of my O cruises but it really depends on the popularity of the cruise. I recently tried to book an O cruise and my TA said impossible to offer free gratuities since O management did NOT offer it to agents.

The policy has not changed. While I have never heard of anyone being prevented from bringing on any wine, beer or spirits, if it happened yo your friends it might have been due to an overzealous shore-side staffer who had read the policy but did not understand Oceania (to clarify, shore-side staffers at embarkation are employed by a third party company, often Intercruises). The Oceania security folks on board have never even commented on anything we have brought aboard at any port, and the crew members who handle the luggage on board have often delivered cases of wine and spirits. Cabin attendants will supply various drink glassware and mixers.

Regarding the gratuities, your TA is likely correct. Oceania offers the funds to TAs who have a "group" booking on many cruises. Those funds cannot be kept or used by the TA; they must be passed on to the guest. The same is true of much of the OBC, unless the TA is paying that out of their commission. If the TA did not reserve group space, the perks are not available. It's also possible for Oceania to not offer the perks on certain sailings, or to withdraw them on popular cruises as the ship fills.

I have stated many times that the "official" rule is published for legal reasons but not generally enforced. I have also repeated the obvious fact that the cruise line cannot very well publish a contradictory policy establishing the lack of enforcement as fact. Therefore, we have experience as the only guide. While the regular posters on this forum may be relatively few in number, their experience and knowledge of the cruise line is almost staggering in its entirety. Sometimes you just have to trust someone.

If this is for legal reasons any problems would be based on past practice not a written policy which is not enforced. I really do not care if people bring a truck load of booze on board. What I have a problem with is the interpretation of the contract between Oceania and their guests. If I read it how am I to tell which terms are for real. Is it really OK to bring my one month old grandchild with me, can I really take drinks out of my room, can a 16 year old drink at the bar. It goes on and on. If I am being held to a contract then i must know all parts are being in forced for all. Its a simple contract case.

If this is for legal reasons any problems would be based on past practice not a written policy which is not enforced. I really do not care if people bring a truck load of booze on board. What I have a problem with is the interpretation of the contract between Oceania and their guests. If I read it how am I to tell which terms are for real. Is it really OK to bring my one month old grandchild with me, can I really take drinks out of my room, can a 16 year old drink at the bar. It goes on and on. If I am being held to a contract then i must know all parts are being in forced for all. Its a simple contract case.

You won't find rules posted in your local buffet restaurant, stating that patrons may not take entire chafing dishes of food back to their table, yet in actual practice, it's just not "done".

Similarly, there are areas in every business relationship which simply cannot be spelled out specifically in advance. You must have come across this in other areas of life.

I can give you 600 other examples of it, from travel to health care to education. May we please move on?

What I have a problem with is the interpretation of the contract between Oceania and their guests. If I read it how am I to tell which terms are for real.

I think it is a common thing in life: rules that are only enforced when people stretch them to the limit or beyond. The only way to know is to tap on people's experience.

This gets back to Don's earlier comment about accepting what the long-term posters have stated regarding the policy on alcohol. I've never brought on a case of wine but I have brought on 4-5 bottles of wine without a problem (at the onset of a cruise and in the midst of a cruise).

One person of very many may have had a problem, but very many more have not. So do you give extra weight to the isolated problem?

Hypercafe, are you suggesting that all rules are black and white and you cannot accept what more experienced cruisers (i.e., experienced on Oceania) tell you?

Yes, Oceania protects itself by making a rule ... but it enforces that rule when people abuse the rule, not for everybody.

Mura

. Is it really OK to bring my one month old grandchild with me, can I really take drinks out of my room, can a 16 year old drink at the bar.

Common sense would tell you NO you cannot bring a 1 mth old on when the rule is 1 yr

NO you are not suppose to take drinks out of the cabin

NO a 16 yr cannot drink at the bar when they state the legal drinking age in the T & C

You can continue to be argumentative if you wish it does not change things

The only contract between you and Oceania at the time of sailing is the Ticket Contract provided in the blue book of documents sent to you prior to sailing. It specifically covers such items as the minimum age of children (one year old as of the first day of the cruise), the age at which one mY be served at a bar (21 years old) and everything else you might question.

There is a clause under "Alcohol Policy". It does NOT prohibit liquor or other alcohol. There are NO limits imposed. The only reference is, "Carrier reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard the ship". Note: "reserves the right", not "will confiscate" like all the mainstream cruise lines who do not trust their guests to be responsible. There is no specific mention of wine, nor is beer mentioned.

Read that Ticket Contract. All your questions will be answered, and you can continue to ignore the advice offered here. I wonder why you even participate if you can't accept what is offered?

The "rules" you have been quoting are NOT part of the contract.

Sorry, Jacky, what is unkind are folks who are deliberately disruptive or excessively argumentative.

Sorry, I was interested in the subject of this thread- thought I could learn something but found the troll comments a bit rude. Okay -- Guess I'll leave this thread since I don't plan on bringing alcohol on board.

Edited by Travelcat2

Can anyone tell me a little bit about Oceania Cruises.

Also, what ship would anyone recommend who would like a comprehensive South Pacific cruise itin.

thanks.

gusjakefred

Back on topic!

I don’t know a lot about “Oceania Cruises” as a company but I do know what we like and it is all about ticking your preference boxes.

We have only been on 4 cruises, 2 of which were with Oceania. I research the various cruise lines regularly and keep coming back to Oceania and have just booked our next cruise in 2015.

For us we like –

1. Small to mid size ships which can access different and closer to ports. Getting on and off is a breeze with fewer passengers.

2. Casual attire – from bathers and sandals around the pool to dress pants and open button shirt in the evening – No compulsory suit or jacket.

3. No formal nights.

4. No Kids – We have bought up 4 beautiful children and would prefer to reserve our energy in that area for our grandkids

5. Open Dining – Should put this as no 1. We like to go to dinner when we choose to. As much as we like interacting with our fellow passengers we rarely like sharing a table at dinner as we only eat 1 course. To sit through a shared table with the various orders of soup, appetizer, salad before we get our main meal has left me more than a little light headed for one reason of another.:p

6. Art, culinary and enrichment classes – I am sure other cruise lines have them.

7. Alcohol – Oceania are very good - we could take a bottle or two on board and usually did at each port. On a past cruise (not Oceania) our suitcase was scanned and not delivered until we declared our alcohol (In this case it was 1 bottle of Moet, a gift). We then had to go down the baggage hold and pay a $25 fee or it was to be confiscated.

8. Cost. I think Oceania is classified as upper premium and after experiencing the top end of a basic cruise line, I think we received better value for money with Oceania.

So make yourself a list of “LIKES” and see if Oceania can tick all the boxes for you.

Good luck!

Bev

Well said, I think this is excellent advice. Although I don't think it's possible to be certain that a particular cruise line is your perfect 'fit' until you have experienced it, it is possible to glean lots of valuable information through research, particularly on these boards from which you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect. For us, Oceania is 'the one', for most of the reasons listed by the previous poster and also because for us the following are important and we don't think we could do better on any other line :

1. Food quality and variety

2. A beautifully decorated and tasteful environment, both in the public and private areas of the ship.

3. The opportunity to have a larger room at a more competitive price than other cruise lines.

4. The opportunity to choose whether to pay for the Ship's excursions or not.

5. The opportunity to choose whether to take the drinks package or not, not only because some people don't drink so much, but also because some might prefer to spend the same amount of money on fewer, but better individual bottles of wine - or not.

On Oceania we never feel like we were being controlled or regulated.

We really appreciated the “no hands” food policy in Terrace Café buffet area. – Less chance of cross contamination with only gloved servers! I presume that is an Oceania policy on all ships.

Another high light - the Barista on the Marina and the Riviera (mid sized ships) was a huge plus for me. I am an early riser and my husband is not so I would be first in the door of the Barista (deck 14) and I would sit with my Café Latte, Biscotti and Camera, with the sun rising as we sailed into each port – Absolutely magic!!!

Rumor has it - the smaller ships are installing the same – but not sure it will have the same view?

Can’t wait for our next cruise!:D

I am getting so much great information from this site although I do find it kind of busy and from time to time, I have difficulty posting. Any quick suggestions.

I agree re folks being disruptive. I believe this forum should be used for helping folks find out all about cruising. We all love different aspects of some cruise lines. I would love to experience them ALL. LOL

Rumor has it - the smaller ships are installing the same – but not sure it will have the same view?

They are a fact...no view like on the O class ships though

Barristas are located on deck 5 on the R-ships

I am sure you could get a to go cup & take up to the top deck for the views

I am getting so much great information from this site although I do find it kind of busy and from time to time, I have difficulty posting. Any quick suggestions.

What types of opinions or suggestions are you looking for?

That may help narrow the field a bit

My suggestion is try an O cruise & decide for yourself ;)

Lyn