What's the Most "LAST MINUTE" you've ever cruised?

M'mei

I always see "Last Minute" Cruise deals out there, but was wondering how extremely "last minute" are we talking about:confused: ? I realize that arranging airfare on a moment's notice can be expensive and problematic:( , but what if no air travel is required to reach the port for a Last Minute cruise? We live on the West Coast and could just drive to the port. So, what's the shortest time you've ever booked ahead before departure....anyone? Did you receive your documents OK? Are there pitfalls to booking these "last minute" deals that we should know about:eek: ? Thanks for your help.

Last minute deals generally mean 30 days away from sailing. Since cruise ships have to submit their passenger manifests to Homeland Security at least 3 days before a cruise leaves, there's no more walking up to the dock on the day of sailing and buying a ticket. Last minute bookings generally mean e-tickets and not true documents.

Back in 2000 we flew to Houston for a cruise on PCL (now bankrupt). After arriving at the airport we were told the cruise was cancelled (the ship's rudder was broken while coming into port). Since this was a Saturday I called Carnival and booked a cabin on the Sensation sailing out of Tampa the next day.

We flew out the next morning, were delayed at our stop in NOLA and SW lost our luggage in Tampa. The ship sailed at 4:00 and the clock in the background of our boarding picture read 3:58! They somehow got our luggage to the ship because after dinner it was in our cabin, and after such a hectic start we had a great 7-day cruise.

I don't think such a last minute booking would be possible with Homeland Security now in place, but back in 2000 that cruise was booked about 26 hours in advance.

John

A few years ago, some friends of mine flew to Miami to go on a cruise. When they got to the pier, they discovered that their cruise line had shut down. While almost everyone was heading back to the airport to see if they could get home that day, they went up and down the pier to all the other ships seeing which ones had openings. They were able to get on another ship, Royal Caribbean I think.

Booked a Celebrity cruise on a Tuesday special 12 days before the cruise. Received the documents via email. Only problems with e-ticket is that I had print it out myself, couldn't do baggage tags until I got to the dock, and couldn't take advantage of any type of express check in or prebooking shore excursions on-line. None of those were any problem with me. Had a great cruise!!

We checked into a Marriott Resort in Palm Desert in Feb. 2004 on a Saturday. When we turned on the weather channel, they said rain was in the forecast Mon-Friday. I gave hubby a couple beers and then asked, "How would you like to take a cruise Monday?" He thought I was crazy and didn't think I could find one, but I did. We departed Los Angeles Monday morning and returned on Friday sailing to Mexico and Catalina Island for only $199 including all fees and taxes. We also met a couple from New York on the ship who booked last minute. I love Carnival for those last minute getaways when you just need a break from it all and live on a tight budget. Fortunately, our ship took us away from the all the rain hitting California that winter during El Nino. We never saw a drop of rain the whole time we were sailing.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

How about the same day as the cruise? We have done this twice on the Holiday when it was sailing from New Orleans. Both time, the regular itinerary was upset by hurricanes, and they did cruises to nowhere to get back on schedule. One was three nights, the other two, for $99 per person.

Back in late Feb. 2001 hubby called me from work and asked me to call Carnival and see if they still had room on Paradise leaving in 8 days. We had discussed taking the no-smoking ship and then checking out the Keys but I wasn't prepared for him actually deciding to wanted to get away from work with such little notice. So I booked a cabin, booked the flight (unfortunately, very costly for last minute, non red-eye, one stop), reserved pre-cruise hotel in Miami, post-cruise hotel in Miami, hotel in Key Largo, hotel in Key West, and pre-flight hotel in Miami, and reserved car...all in three days time! The only glitches were the rental car (we won't use that company again...starts with an A...as they mislead us on the rate and availability and shuttle pickup) and the last hotel screwed up on my request for no-smoking room and we had to wait for a decent room (even the second room, on a no-smokiing floor, was reeking of cigar).

A big difference from this next cruise, booked 13 months ahead, with only other logistical decision is how to get to San Pedro (drive or use a shuttle for the 30 miles).

I called RCI to check prices for cabin on a date months away but since we were 5 we had to see which would be cheaper, 2 insides, all of us in a room....? So while she was checking different room set ups for us and 3 kids, she came across a deal for a suite for all five of us in one cabin $2,712 out the door! We paid $1,000 for first and second and the kids paid $237 for 3rd, 4th and 5th! The only problem was that it was leaving in 2 weeks!

We could not believe what we were hearing so I told her to fax it over in writing and if it was exactly like she said we would call her right back and book. And she faxed it and we booked! This was in 2000 on the VOS! We had so much fun we went again on the VOS but not for anywhere near what we paid the first time and they were 2 inside rooms. Never going to see a deal like that again!

Aah, the good old days!

Cruizinrican:)

Wanting to go on the Destiny back in 99 when it was new I called for prices and the Carnival rep said by the way if you can leave in three weeks instead it will be a lot cheaper and I can get you a nightowl cabin - so we took it!

Then we were camping over Easter and I mentioned that they had $199 rates for the Jubilee out of galveston on 5 night cruises. HE looked at me and said "book it." So I did and we left 10 days later. We had to get our documents at the pier and fill them out but had no problems....It is a lot of fun to go last minute! :) :)

Over Christmas last year I saw a $319 outside cabin price on the Esctasy out of Galveston 5 night for 4 weeks later and I had Credit card points for $500 and a stock holder credit for $50 so I booked it. That was a month out.

We do typically sail last minute - just dont' know about jobs ahead of time but it is kind of hectic and not as much fun as looking forward to a cruise for months.. Also the prices may be good but they are the same as if you booked a year out. :) Debbie

We've had two very close bookings. Sunday, the day after Christmas, 1999. we couldn't decide what to do for New Years, 1999,The Millenium. Our neighbors,- their 2nd home-, who we usually celebrated with, were all set for Y2K taking over the world. they were staying in their main home. We wondered if we could find a cruise. We did! And on our favorite little ship, the Dolphin IV. At 10:30AM, Sunday, we booked. At noon we were packed, drivng from NC coast to get the ship in Port Canaveral, the NEXT day, Monday! We got on the ship about 26 hours after we booked. We had a ball!!!!!! The best cruise ever.

Then, my husband was NEVER going to go on Carnival again! But.......... He found an 8 day cruise on Carnival's Legend for $379 and could not resist it. We booked that at 10AM on friday, bookings closed at noon that day. Monday we got on the Legend and were so surprised by this ship, we spent last new years on her again!!!!!!!!!

WE are both self employed so can do this. We booked this new years cruise in April and i hate the wait!!!! Just booked a Nov. 5 cruise and feel that's almost too far in advance!!!!!!!!!!! but we love cruising and find prices we can't ignore!

• 5 years later...

Last Jan./10 we were visiting in Florida and couldn't take the COLD anymore. In frustration I called [on a Thurs.] to see if we could get on the Sat. sailing of Grander of the Seas. It was booked up but I asked if we could be put on a waiting list. We were fifth on that list.

I got a call friday night that we were booked to go!!!!:D:D:D

I was so excited - we got an inside for $229.00 per person but when we arrived at the Port- we had been upgraded to an outside room!:D:D:D

The closet to 'cruise boarding day' we have ever booked is 22 days. I will only fly non-stop flights so to book closer than that makes it almost impossible to book a non-stop.

We most usually book up to a year (or more) in advance but cruise fairly frequently each year.

Last Jan./10 we were visiting in Florida and couldn't take the COLD anymore. In frustration I called [on a Thurs.] to see if we could get on the Sat. sailing of Grander of the Seas. It was booked up but I asked if we could be put on a waiting list. We were fifth on that list.

I got a call friday night that we were booked to go!!!!:D:D:D

I was so excited - we got an inside for $229.00 per person but when we arrived at the Port- we had been upgraded to an outside room!:D:D:D

I meant to say a BIG THANK YOU to "Pammy"!!!

We know people who've retired to Spain, and have cases permanently packed all winter....their TA rings with last min deals a day or two before departure, and they're ready to go...they can do 10 cruises over the winter months for very little money.

Jo.

It was 2 and 1/2 days. Last Thanksgiving cruise my DH called me on Wednesday night and said can you be ready to sail Saturday? I said you bet!;)

The was the closest, we have had others with a couple of weeks from booking to sail.

Happy last minute cruising!

Toni

DH changed jobs one year and we wanted a vaca in between. As soon as he had negotiated his start date we called our TA and a day later had booked a 7 day Caribbean on WindStar, which left seven days later and off we went.

We usually plan way ahead so this was very spontaneous for us!

Last spring, during the H1N1 virus fiasco, we booked on a Tues afternoon, and we were on the ship on Friday. (The prices on the Fri-Mon LA-Ensenada itinerary were SO cheap, we couldn't pass it up (and it went to Catalina instead).

Archived