Diamond Drink Vouchers ... Tipping Guidelines?

Yes I would tip on the total of the bill figure I actually pay, not what it 'should' have been, as it never was and will never be :-)

So if you go out to your local restaurant and the total bill is $56 but you have a gift card for $50 making your total $6, you pay tip on $6?

I tip room service very well and often extra people like cleaners, entertainment staff, culinary staff etc. I am very generous in fact.

My principle of why not in the DL still stands.

This doesn't make sense to me.

You tip for room service, 'very well' in fact, but room service is free! Entertainment is free. Why are you tipping 15% of nothing?

But your reason for not tipping for a free drink in the lounge is because you are not tipping on something that is free :confused:

Maybe you tip those others because they are *providing a service*, which is the same as that person *serving* you your free drink in the Diamond or Concierge lounge.

Edited by marci22

So if you go out to your local restaurant and the total bill is $56 but you have a gift card for $50 making your total $6, you pay tip on $6?

A gift card is not a discount. It is a prepayment. Therefore the total is still $56 and a tip on $56 is warranted (if service is acceptable)

A better comparison would be something like Groupon where you get a "deal" that is worded something like the following:

$40 for $79 worth of food. You pay $40 up front. At the restaurant there is no additional cash transaction. They restaurant will want to add 20% gratuity to the "original" $79 price, or nearly $16, even though the money that changed hands was only $40 and 20% of $40 is $8. The food never really was $79; by prepaying and giving your money before ever setting foot in the restaurant the restaurant has agreed that they are going to put the food on sale for $40. I would not hand over $16 for "service" on $40 of food. That amounts to 40% of what you paid for your "deal". As such I avoid such "offers" because they aren't really discounts and when you mandate a 40% service charge you better provide some spectacular service.

We all know Groupon is where restaurants basically go to die. If they offered good service and good value to start with they wouldn't have to give away food and gouge for service just to get people in the door.

Understood?

We all know Groupon is where restaurants basically go to die.

Well they're trying to stay in business, generate more traffic.

But I don't think asking to pay tips on the before-coupon amount is unfair. They are not jacking up their prices and putting out a coupon. Those are their regular prices and it's fair enough not to want to penalize the server's tip with a coupon.

In the end, it's still your option to leave the tip you want to leave.

Edited by marci22

A gift card is not a discount. It is a prepayment. Therefore the total is still $56 and a tip on $56 is warranted (if service is acceptable)

A better comparison would be something like Groupon where you get a "deal" that is worded something like the following:

$40 for $79 worth of food. You pay $40 up front. At the restaurant there is no additional cash transaction. They restaurant will want to add 20% gratuity to the "original" $79 price, or nearly $16, even though the money that changed hands was only $40 and 20% of $40 is $8. The fo

Of course. Wondering if delirious sees it that way

Obviously not:( Of course the post about tipping others they so deem "worthy" doesn't make much sense either. Delirious' logic completely eludes me and obviously you too.;)

And the statement about it being an "earned perk" benefits him only, and the way he thinks penalizes the server. So, basically delirious is cheap. I'd use another word, but it wouldn't be appropriate or allowed here.

Edited by BND

I always try to base tips on the actual amount of money exchanged, not some arbitrarily assigned value.

I tip services based on whether I find them useful/acceptable level. I think most people do as well. I just paid for an oil change service this morning. I even had a coupon that discounted the rate. I still gave the mechanic a cash tip because he brought me in to the shop while the car was on the lift to show me the brakes and condition of other items. To me this was a value added service. So I gave him cash. Even though ostensibly I chose that shop because it was the cheapest option when using a coupon. The service warranted additional tip in my view.

Since tipping is not mandatory, and the cruise line has told delirious that they have earned a free benefit, they aren't really wrong in not tipping for the service. It's not the way I would do it, but it is their option. I can't say I am more or less right than they are.

I always try to base tips on the actual amount of money exchanged, not some arbitrarily assigned value.

I tip services based on whether I find them useful/acceptable level. I think most people do as well. I just paid for an oil change service this morning. I even had a coupon that discounted the rate. I still gave the mechanic a cash tip because he brought me in to the shop while the car was on the lift to show me the brakes and condition of other items. To me this was a value added service. So I gave him cash. Even though ostensibly I chose that shop because it was the cheapest option when using a coupon. The service warranted additional tip in my view.

Since tipping is not mandatory, and the cruise line has told delirious that they have earned a free benefit, they aren't really wrong in not tipping for the service. It's not the way I would do it, but it is their option. I can't say I am more or less right than they are.

It's not arbitrary if you know exactly what the item would cost if you paid for it. That's how tipping is supposed to be done when using a coupon or being given something for free. DH and I were given free dessert the other day at a restaurant due to our steaks being cooked incorrectly (DH got mine and I got his in terms of cooking-mine was the smaller steak so we couldn't exactly swap) but we still gave the server 20% of what the bill would have been including the dessert. It wasn't the servers fault the kitchen messed up and they made good on it. The point is, you are using something that has a cost associated with it, so why not tip for that value, even if it's "free"?

Tipping your waitstaff and steward, among others isn't mandatory either, but most still do it. The argument delirious is using comes across as just an excuse to not tip.

Edited by BND

It's not arbitrary if you know exactly what the item would cost if you paid for it. That's how tipping is supposed to be done when using a coupon or being given something for free. DH and I were given free dessert the other day at a restaurant due to our steaks being cooked incorrectly (DH got mine and I got his in terms of cooking-mine was the smaller steak so we couldn't exactly swap) but we still gave the server 20% off what the bill would have been including the dessert. It wasn't the servers fault the kitchen messed up and they made good on it. The point is, you are using something that has a cost associated with it, so why not tip for that value, even if it's "free"?

Point understood and that was your choice. I would have tipped off the bill of what I ordered, honestly, not felt compelled to tip more than planned because the restaurant was making an effort to smooth over mishandling my order. If the restaurant chose to give me something free for their troubles I'd appreciate the gesture, but I wouldn't pay more for it. Not tipping extra for the "free" dessert is NOT penalizing the server because they have already earned the tip for the dinner. You should not have to pay more to make up for shortcomings in the restaurant, but like I said, that is your choice.

This doesn't make sense to me.

You tip for room service, 'very well' in fact, but room service is free! Entertainment is free. Why are you tipping 15% of nothing?

But your reason for not tipping for a free drink in the lounge is because you are not tipping on something that is free :confused:

Maybe you tip those others because they are *providing a service*, which is the same as that person *serving* you your free drink in the Diamond or Concierge lounge.

Room service is not an earmed perk (i.e. reward) - drinks in the DL is

I would probably tip more than $6 worth but not the total including the gift card

why. The server expects a tip on $56, not $6. You have an amazing way of justifying different ways to gyp service workers.

You said you waited tables. Time to think back

Ever wait on someone who had a free dinner coming? Did you expect a tip?

Edited by SeaUs

As I read this thread, I just can't help but remember wonderful Hilda on the Vision earlier this month. She served us all our vouchered drinks in the R Bar every night.

The reason she was so grateful to us for our tips was NOT because of the money, but because of the fact we treated her with respect and courtesy about her efforts to serve us. The tip was our way of expressing that respect and courtesy, and she greatly appreciated all of it. She told me she had just started serving Diamond and above members with the new drink voucher program in recent weeks, and was actually hurt by the way they treated her.

So, delirious9876, we don't know you, you don't know us. We're all anonymous here, and you don't have to prove or justify anything to us. But, I hope you think about what we are saying to you here, because it's not just about the money. It's also about the way people treat other people: it's called courtesy.

One thing about humans: we are so very, very adaptable. :D

Interesting, for everyone on the ship in cabins below JS level have the same "suggested gratuities, tips", ie., service charge per person, per cabin. All of the associated fares have different monetary values. So if the server brings me a double scotch or a glass of soda, his/her effort is the same.

Edited by cruzincurt

As I read this thread, I just can't help but remember wonderful Hilda on the Vision earlier this month. She served us all our vouchered drinks in the R Bar every night.

The reason she was so grateful to us for our tips was NOT because of the money, but because of the fact we treated her with respect and courtesy about her efforts to serve us. The tip was our way of expressing that respect and courtesy, and she greatly appreciated all of it. She told me she had just started serving Diamond and above members with the new drink voucher program in recent weeks, and was actually hurt by the way they treated her.

So, delirious9876, we don't know you, you don't know us. We're all anonymous here, and you don't have to prove or justify anything to us. But, I hope you think about what we are saying to you here, because it's not just about the money. It's also about the way people treat other people: it's called courtesy.

One thing about humans: we are so very, very adaptable. :D

If what you say is correct then it looks like I don't treat DL staff with courtesy or respect (which of course I know is not true).

Oh well . . . .

If what you say is correct then it looks like I don't treat DL staff with courtesy or respect (which of course I know is not true).

Oh well . . . .

You are missing my point (deliberately?): the tip IS your expression of courtesy and respect. To eliminate it is disrespectful. People that earn their living based on tips are insulted when they are not compensated. It makes them feel like they are not appreciated. After all, it's why they are working in the job to begin with.

When it comes to service industry workers, it's not all about the words, but also the deeds. You know: actions speak louder than words.

Observe how a man treats those "less important" than himself and you will see a reflection of his heart.

It would be great if you could explain your post that you posted to the whole board as to myself no one person is more important or less important than another ?????

Thanks

Edited by delirious9876

You are missing my point (deliberately?): the tip IS your expression of courtesy and respect. To eliminate it is disrespectful. People that earn their living based on tips are insulted when they are not compensated. It makes them feel like they are not appreciated. After all, it's why they are working in the job to begin with.

When it comes to service industry workers, it's not all about the words, but also the deeds. You know: actions speak louder than words.

I don't think choosing not to tip just in the DL is disrespectful or discourteous.