Has my cruise been chartered?

Dianek0977

Hello,

Hoping someone here will have some insight for us. We booked a Spring Break cruise on the Silhouette for 3/22-3/29/15. Another couple decided to join us, so we got back on the website tonight to look for rooms that were close to each other. In looking, we noticed that there were two listings for our cruise, and one of them said the word "Charter" at the top. When we called Celebrity, we were told that half of the cruise ship has been dedicated to a charter group, but they were not able to let us know what kind of charter it was. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how we can determine what kind of charter this is? I was a bit leery about cruising with Celebrity with kids in the first place, and I'm concerned that the Charter may make it even more kid-unfriendly. Thanks!

I googled it and didn't come up with anything so hopefully there is someone here w/ the "secret" formula to find out.

And don't be worried about cruising with kids on Celebrity, but I DO understand. I do NOT cruise with kids and had I been on the American Girls Dolls cruise a few years ago I'd have wanted to jump ship. There are groups I wouldn't want to cruise with and they may be 100% polar opposite of my groups, but it would be nice to know, especially when the group is taking over half the ship. Good luck.

It also looks as if the Reflection has been chartered from early February until it crosses the pond in April?????

That sounds like more of a case of the "invisible boat" on Celebrity's infamous website.

Others were having similar problems this week with looking at Bookings, Itineraries, Ships etc

In the case of the OP she can see her Cruise, just now that it is double-listed presumably as a Charter as huge blocks of rooms are now not available (threrfore does sound like a Charter to me)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This is reading "7N RF Canada YHZ Charter". Hope its just the ghost in the machine!!

Don't know about the rest...

But YHZ is the call letters for Halifax, NS, Airport

--- --- ---

Wait a minute... You said February onwards. That is the period of time that Celebrity is running their Cdn Charter Program this year (an AI deal from select Cdn Cities in Ontario, Quebec & The Maritimes)... Perhaps it is their inhouse way to put a bunch of rooms on hold. As they can and will sell out these AI Charters in the months to come

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This is reading "7N RF Canada YHZ Charter". Hope its just the ghost in the machine!!

Don't know about the rest...

But YHZ is the call letters for Halifax, NS, Airport

--- --- ---

Wait a minute... You said February onwards. That is the period of time that Celebrity is running their Cdn Charter Program this year (an AI deal from select Cdn Cities in Ontario, Quebec & The Maritimes)... Perhaps it is their inhouse way to put a bunch of rooms on hold. As they can and will sell out these AI Charters in the months to come

Cheers!

These two posts gave a LOT of information. Celebrity has offered some deals for Canadians from Halifax and other provinces for an inclusive vacation during the winter at about $1999 per person including air, gratiuties and classic drink package. If they've charted the planes (which they have) they have to have the cabins available to fill with people to make it worth while. So these are probably the "Chartered" 7N = 7 Night, RF = Reflection, Halifax charter.

The fact the call center knows nothing is no surprise.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Personally, I would be very concerned about a partial charter of a cruise.

Our latest cruise was not exactly chartered but was partially taken by a Celebrity marketing conference. You would have thought that would not be a problem but it very definitely was!

For example, when you have a huge number finishing a session for lunch at the same time [and not the same time everyday - Celebrity people are clearly dreadful at keeping to a schedule], they all hit the buffet at the same time. They formed queues for certain items blocking the routes to other areas of the buffet. As they continued their discussions, they were oblivious to others requesting to be let through the queues to get to those other areas.

There was, I understand, huge problems with there being too many smokers for designated areas during the comfort breaks and this caused problems which, luckily, were not affected by.

There were other problems on the cruise which were probably exacerbated by the crew, understandably, putting the conference attendees' needs before those of normal guests but, I suspect, that could also happen with some other large groups if they were regular customers of Celebrity.

These two posts gave a LOT of information. Celebrity has offered some deals for Canadians from Halifax and other provinces for an inclusive vacation during the winter at about $1999 per person including air, gratiuties and classic drink package. If they've charted the planes (which they have) they have to have the cabins available to fill with people to make it worth while. So these are probably the "Chartered" 7N = 7 Night, RF = Reflection, Halifax charter.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yes there are all inclusive deals offer from Halifax for both Feb. sailings. Last year it was done from Toronto and was a hit!! I noticed that travel agents around here have signs out advertising these cruises. I can't imagine that they would fill the ship as that would be a lot of planes but maybe the offer is extended to other cities as well

How do you find this info about the various charters?

GOOGLE Ship Name & Sailing Date along with the word Chater, or check to see if it listed on the website that I linked to back in Reply # 5 (first link)

There are also other Websites that keep lists as well, but this one was well broadcast after the American Girl Charter fiasco

As discovered then, Celebrity doesn't have to reveal to fellow Pax if there is a partial Outside Charter on your cruise, so well worth doing a search.

*Outside Charter is not the same as a Celebrity Charter. The Cdn Charters this winter for Silhouette & Reflection are organized by / with Celebrity... An outside charter is not. These Cdn Charters are going to be no different than any other pax onboard... Just that they all flew in on planes with other Celebrity Pax from Cdn Cities.

Outside Charters and then they are true groups with their own interests... And may or may not also take over large parts of the ship for their activities (ie areas therefore closed to other guests... Or not very hospitable). Those are the types of Charters to be concerned about if you aren't part of the group. The bigger the group... The more you could feel like an outsider on your vacation cruise.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks to everyone for their input. My husband called Celebrity back today, and they confirmed the Canadian charter package. That is a huge relief, as I was concerned we were going to end up on a nude swinger's cruise....and I realllly didn't want to have to explain that to my kiddos!

Yes there are all inclusive deals offer from Halifax for both Feb. sailings. Last year it was done from Toronto and was a hit!! I noticed that travel agents around here have signs out advertising these cruises. I can't imagine that they would fill the ship as that would be a lot of planes but maybe the offer is extended to other cities as well

And Winnipeg gets left out in the cold again:eek: However, maybe Celebrity will offer a Canadian one from Calgary as I usually fly there to meet my relative who cruises with me

[quote name=Sloop-JohnB;43836214

There are also other Websites that keep lists as well' date=' but this one was well broadcast after the American Girl Charter fiasco[/quote]

I keep hearing hints about the American Girl Charter, but I don't know what happened. More info, please!

Hello,

Hoping someone here will have some insight for us. We booked a Spring Break cruise on the Silhouette for 3/22-3/29/15. Another couple decided to join us, so we got back on the website tonight to look for rooms that were close to each other. In looking, we noticed that there were two listings for our cruise, and one of them said the word "Charter" at the top. When we called Celebrity, we were told that half of the cruise ship has been dedicated to a charter group, but they were not able to let us know what kind of charter it was. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how we can determine what kind of charter this is? I was a bit leery about cruising with Celebrity with kids in the first place, and I'm concerned that the Charter may make it even more kid-unfriendly. Thanks!

Whatever the outcome, when a significant portion of the passenger content comes from a group, it has a profound impact on the hospitality of the cruise.

It could be in your favor, and it could be a recipe for a unpleasant experience.

Choose wisely.

GOOGLE Ship Name & Sailing Date along with the word Chater, or check to see if it listed on the website that I linked to back in Reply # 5 (first link)

There are also other Websites that keep lists as well, but this one was well broadcast after the American Girl Charter fiasco

No link. Care to try again, please?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This is so true. Our cruise on the Summit in March 2016 disappeared from the X site. I called to ask if it was being chartered, the X agent said she would check with her "supervisor". After a couple minutes, she came back and said it wasn't being chartered. It was only undergoing an "inventory price adjustment" and that I had nothing to worry about.

THE NEXT DAY I received a call from X informing me that our cruise had been chartered and that we had to make alternate arrangements. Wonderful communication at X. ;)

I keep hearing hints about the American Girl Charter, but I don't know what happened. More info, please!

Hi Pat...this link goes back 3 years....2011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425403

I guess I am just in the search mode....that AG cruise was Thanksgiving Week 2011....11/19.

Edited by Lois R

I'll give you an example. How would you like to go to the theater or buffet and not be able to find a seat because the girls were sitting in one seat and their dolls in another. And they and their parents didn't think anything was wrong with it.n

To find out if there is an outside charter on your cruise, I think the website is themecruisefinder.com. It's incredible how many outside charters there actually are. Guess there's not much you can do to control whether there is one or not, but it surely could be a pain if you're one of passengers on your cruise who are NOT in the charter group.