How has Cruise Critic helped you?

SewMuch

Because of tips I got on the CC boards, on our next cruise (#6) we are getting $335 in OBC, our first ever! (Got nothing on the first 5)

Also because of info I got here, we are going to make Platinum one cruise earlier than I thought we would.

Thanks guys! Any other testimonials?

There is good info all over cc but over the years we have found the best info on the ports of call/homeport boards. Most of that is real time info and not speculation

Also, the M&M boards can offer up great info, look at the ones on the cruises before yours to get tips that people have researched

Edited by setsail

Learned about being able to bring wine on board!! Also have gotten price drops, what cabins to avoid. Good information about ports and hotels before the cruise. Lots of info from the saving money and budgeting boards. Truly a wealth of information from experts!

Over the years I've learned about things like beach massages at the Krysal resort in PV for $75 bucks to two of us......so many tips and information I could not even try to keep track of. As they say "informaiton is power".....thanks to all. I also use Trip Advisor religously for land travel.:)

Oh let me count the ways that Cruise Critic has helped me...

- I like, no LOVE, how roll calls on old cruises have led to years of great friendships with past cruisers.

- Prices Drops and all the savings information...

- Planning... everyone here has a story about planning, and if you are a planner like me, you don't feel so all alone...

- Packing - if it wasn't for CC I would have been without my trusty mini power cord, not to mention the countless uses of Bounce Fabric Refresher!!

- I know the first, last and every meal in between that i am going to eat once on board..

- I know about the hidden balconies, spots, artwork on the Oasis/Allure

- it TOTALLY helps when battling Post Cruise Depression to answer everyone's questions about your reviews when you return.

- The LIVE Blogs and how wonderful the folks that do them are - Thank you for taking me on vacation with you! :D

These forums have been amazing! From loads of first-time help and advice before taking my first proper cruise to learning about price drops in the UK (which travel agents refused to believe but ended up saving me a stack)!

I'm certain I wouldn't have got the bug so strongly if I hadn't spent time browsing through all the information and reviews on here...

I just want to take a moment and thank all of those who spend the time to do reviews, good or bad I always take something away and that to me is invaluable.

Thanks very much! and thanks CC for having this great place to converge! :)

Same for us as far as saving money. Learned about price drops, OBC, savings certificates, shareholder OBC, Next Cruise certificates, etc.

I've probably learned more from you than anyone else. You always have the answers. Thanks for all you do for CC. They should send you a weekly check.;)

Gwen :)

I've probably learned more from you than anyone else. You always have the answers. Thanks for all you do for CC. They should send you a weekly check.;)

Gwen :)

Thanks, but I learned from Patti!:)

I created a monster packing list from all the posts on here. I am an over-packer, but some of the things that I was glad I had on the first cruise, I would not have thought of without the people on here!

I am learning more and more for my next and future cruises. We want to try several different lines and since each line is so different, it's nice to get input and advice/information from those that have been on them. And same with the Ports...we haven't been to many yet, so there's so much to learn so that we can maximize our time! I have also learned that most everything is subjective, and that you'll never know about something until you experience it for yourself.

Oh, and I absolutely learned to "bring twice as much money, and half and much clothing as you think you'll need" :p

Countless advice on rooms, excursions, interest in other routes and ships due to reviews, helping fill the void between cruises, etc, etc.

However, the most valuable information so far...

The knowledge necessary to feel comfortable taking my then 7.5 month old with us on a cruise. (And not only cruising but flying) This was truly a wonderful experience and we learned she has a love of water/swimming on this cruise. I'm so glad we had reviews here to give us tips to make things easier or manageable and the courage to do this otherwise we might have been shut ins her first two years.

I am prepared as possible for last minute deals which work the best for me now. I know when a deal is good and to still watch for drops before final payment if time. I learn ao many pleasing little things on any ship i want to try after chosen. I learn the happy way happy folks access these ports and visiting islands...I have almost learned island choices and future land trips before the ship visit. I have learned many r and r beach visits from a ship which well, is just wonderful to me..I have dreams of a youngest niece or grand neice taking that solo funny auntie and niece time by ways families have worked things out.

Above all I can travel by chair when waiting and travel with both friends and acquaintances here..there is a space where folks can get to know each other more and become real friends...this is pure heaven..thanks God for CC, Travel Dreams both Dreamt

and Realized..and loving understanding friends here..whose prayers may be part of making it on that final trip...and they have mine...I love it here..Sarah

For better or worse, it has turned me into a CC junkie; I find myself reading threads that don't even pertain to me;)

So many generous, knowledgeable, and articulate responses - from ports to cabins to food to excursions to cost tips- it's all here!

I must agree, clarea's (Bob) responses are in a class of their own-thank you!

Thanks to CC, I think I'm ready for my first RCCL cruise 10 days away:):)

I've made the most amazing friends in real life from CC.... people I've cruised with and met ashore more than once and hope to again.

I joined CC before my first cruise as an adult and haven't looked back. Being able to learn how to blog has probably been the best thing and one that is continually evolving.

I love the banter, the stupid questions as well as the new ones..... there's always new questions!

Group <<<hug>>>

I have saved a ton of money on cruise fare. I can not readily calculate the savings but many multiple thousands for sure.

I learned about solos getting double points and cruised before they doubled the supplement; got me to Diamond faster

I have learned about good excursions, trips, and ways to save money while in port.

I have learned about special features on certain ships.

I have learned about once in a blue moon blow out deals that I was not able to take advantage of but shared with others who could.

I have met very nice people onboard ship that we have stayed in contact with thanks to CC.

With advice from others have:

Saved a bunch of Money

Found great excursions

Got the right cabin at the right price in the right location

Been able to plan hotels and travel with great recommendations

Found that secret balcony;)

With menus and compasses posted, been able to schedule a lot easier

Been able to make good friends through M&M and enjoy chatting to all that are on specific roll calls for future cruises.

All in all great advice from great people with a wealth of knowledge in what we all love to do!! CRUISE:D

Happy Days!

And for all that have assisted and given great advice or pointers, I say a big Thank you y'all

I have learned to be a better packer from tips on CC

I have satisfied the compulsive planner in me by knowing the layout of new ships and using the tips from others on exploring. I would never have known about the secret balcony on the Allure if not for CC.

I have learned not to take no for the final answer when calling RCI. Call back and I will probably get a different answer.

I have learned that I cannot go a week without at least scanning these boards.

I found out about:

--over the door shoe holder for bathroom items.

--is there shampoo or not

--where to stay before or after the cruise

--is there a clothes line in the room

--I guess I can't fly a kite off the balcony

--NO IRONS

--which excursions to definitely do or not do

--there must be so much more

I have been a member for 9 yrs now and still learn. I have learned so much from the Port of Call Boards, visiting other Roll Calls for similar cruises, and from the general boards. With things that I have learned, I now love to share that information with our new CC members along with being able to meet so many new friends here on CC and during our cruises.