Doggy bag

On a recent galley tour on the Oasis question was asked about crew food. We were told that in many ways the crew was harder to cater to than the passengers as the crew galley had to deal with so many nationalities and in some instances religious preferences. Chef also indicated that some of the dining options for passengers that were of an international flavor or type of cuisine were actually originally crew recipes and ideas that had been "tweaked." He indicated that the crew galley was indeed separate and in some instances similar menus on any given day simply for convenience and use of food on board, however, the crew definitely did not get leftovers.

We did a Behind-the-Scenes tour last year and it included the crew area. There were 2 different crew dining options. There was a a regular buffet set up, and a healthy option. There was a dedicated kitchen crew to prepare food. It was pretty much a 24/7 operation as that's when the crew worked. The food seemed to be Asian inspired, with other nationalities represented. It was way different from MDR food.

We were told that the left over food from the MDR was compacted and turned into fuel and NOT dumped overboard to feed the fish.

The crew does not get left over MDR food.

I think someone was having a laugh with you.

Food is NOT dumped overboard. The eco-system is fragile enough down there without sending our waste overboard.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/environment/saveTheWaves.do

states :

Practice Pollution Prevention - Nothing may be thrown overboard. Nothing

There are meals when if we had been home - I would have asked for a doggy bag. Could have made another meal with the leftovers. But that's going directly home, with food into the fridge, and reheating in some really creative way the next day.

On The ship - I just wave byebye to all those great leftovers. :(

Food is NOT dumped overboard. The eco-system is fragile enough down there without sending our waste overboard.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/environment/saveTheWaves.do

states :

Practice Pollution Prevention - Nothing may be thrown overboard. Nothing

Of course nothing is "thrown" overboard. the environmental officier might argue that appropriately discharging cetain materials that throwing overboard are different. Non biodegradable Waste is compacted and stored. Of course, human waste is handled appropriately. Still, I am rather sure I have been told that ships do use grinders and pulpers to process food waste which can be discharged in some areas. I do not have a link to say what Royal Caribbean does, but here is one for Princess.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Cruises'-Commitment-to-the-Environment.html#.U_o7zGt5mSM

Well, then it was the head of the HR dept. and had a lot of stripes on her shirt. I don't think she would make this up.

Unfortunately, just like here on CC, there is a lot of misunderstandings, and officers from non-technical departments do not always really understand what is going on. Food waste is ground, and the resultant waste (sort of an oatmeal consistency), is either discharged to the ocean (and it does not affect the eco-system, it is merely fish food), or dried and incinerated. I have seen that RCI does not use their incinerators much, as they off-load cardboard and paper in one of the islands, so it is probably discharged. Food waste that is not ground in the pulper system must be kept refrigerated (there is a walk-in refrigerator just for garbage that can't be ground).

Unfortunately, just like here on CC, there is a lot of misunderstandings, and officers from non-technical departments do not always really understand what is going on. Food waste is ground, and the resultant waste (sort of an oatmeal consistency), is either discharged to the ocean (and it does not affect the eco-system, it is merely fish food), or dried and incinerated. I have seen that RCI does not use their incinerators much, as they off-load cardboard and paper in one of the islands, so it is probably discharged. Food waste that is not ground in the pulper system must be kept refrigerated (there is a walk-in refrigerator just for garbage that can't be ground).

Incinerated...YES. That's what it is. It's NOT used as fuel as I said.

Thank you!!

Food waste is ground, and the resultant waste (sort of an oatmeal consistency), is either discharged to the ocean (and it does not affect the eco-system, it is merely fish food),

Fattens up the crabs and lobster:D:D

We were told that the left over food from the MDR was compacted and turned into fuel and NOT dumped overboard to feed the fish.

Right, and the waste water is being filtered, filled into PET-bottles and sold to Carnival :D.