Spa Sales Push

karatemom2

Just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Star and took advantage of a nice port day price on a Hot Stone Massage. It was great, but afterwards I remembered why I tend to avoid the spa as I walked away yet again with a product I didn't really want, in this case a pricey body brush! Now I know I should be a little more savvy and tougher about the sales process, but in this case it felt especially sneaky as I was never really asked if I wanted the brush. Just told how much I needed it and how wonderful it was and then an additional slip place in front of me to sign selling me the product. In my relaxed and rather vulnerable state following a very nice massage, I couldn't seem to muster the nerve to tell my sweet, nearly pleading technician no. At least I did note that the gratuity had already been added and thanks to her successful sales pitch, I didn't add extra as I might have otherwise. I figured I was buying the product, so that would suffice. But an hour later I just couldn't rid myself of the nagging feeling that I had once again been a sucker. I probably should have just gone back and returned it but I didn't want to get the girl in trouble or have it be a black mark against her. So I will try to use and enjoy it and remember this as a lesson learned IF I muster up the resolve to go back to the spa again since I'm apparently such an easy sales target. :o

I feel for you as this could just as easily be me as well.

I don't intend to buy something but they are very adept at taking advantage of the 'relationship' created. i didn't buy a product but i booked another service i didn't really need. I walked away feeling cheated and taken advantage of but mostly angry at myself. unfortunately for both princess and me, i don't go to the spa anymore because of this.

yah, I'd probably get one too. i don't want to hurt their feelings, so i go along with it. i know better but am such a wuss.

Me too! I promise myself in advance I won't get sucked in, but boy do they see me coming!

I was once you. I found it very difficult to say no. Now, when I am filing out the pre treatment form, at the bottom I write in that I am not interested in purchasing any products. Adding that in I have never had an issue with a less then great treatment. ;)

I used to do two, sometimes three massages a cruise when they were much lower priced and without the sales pitches. The prices have now gone so high as to price me completely out of the market, and the push for ancillary product sales at the end is such a turn off, that I no longer use the spa services at all. I can get better priced massages locally, without the sales pitch, so why give the cruise lines the money!

Who's the loser here? Not me, as I still have plenty of things on a ship to help me relax and rejuvenate.

I used to do two, sometimes three massages a cruise when they were much lower priced and without the sales pitches. The prices have now gone so high as to price me completely out of the market, and the push for ancillary product sales at the end is such a turn off, that I no longer use the spa services at all. I can get better priced massages locally, without the sales pitch, so why give the cruise lines the money!

Who's the loser here? Not me, as I still have plenty of things on a ship to help me relax and rejuvenate.

Totally agree with this. I had one massage onboard our second cruise. One manicure on our third. Never again to any spa treatments.

Me too! I promise myself in advance I won't get sucked in, but boy do they see me coming!

Try this:

As soon as you see the product, before she (the technician) can say a word, pick up the brush and say "Wow, you really have great stuff here, I just bought this exact brush at Nieman's last week & I just love it!)

Us too! Instead, we massage each other! :D And we each are comfortable telling each other exactly what feels good and not! Sorry to the singles. :o

Us too! Instead, we massage each other! :D And we each are comfortable telling each other exactly what feels good and not! Sorry to the singles. :o

TMI. LOL.

Try this:

As soon as you see the product, before she (the technician) can say a word, pick up the brush and say "Wow, you really have great stuff here, I just bought this exact brush at Nieman's last week & I just love it!)

This is a great idea!

My approach is very simple, I inform them politely as we start that I will inquire about any products that interest me at the end but please do not offer as I don't want sales pitches to disturb my mood. That works almost every time.

I haven't had issues when I've gone to the spa. As soon as they start talking about purchasing anything, I politely say I won't be buying anything but am looking forward to -or I enjoyed the treatment.

On the other hand, I was on a cruise with my sister, we both got pedicures. She ended up spending $150.00 in products. She didn't have buyer's remorse so all was well.

My husband and I do the couples massage on our cruises and they very much push for us to buy supplements. Even after we told them the DH is a personal trainer and also sells supplements, they still pushed a little more.

With that being said, we will continue to do the couples massage, even though we know they will continue to push (even though it's borderline rude).

working in sales myself, I know what they are up against and the goals they have to meet. I am always polite, and I have bought 2 things post treatment, one that I really enjoyed, and one that I had bought on land before and wanted.

My last treatment they didnt even offer to upsell me on any products and it was nice. I definitely know that I am going to pay more for a service on the ship then I would on land, it just like going to a 5 star resort... several resorts I have stayed at the prices are way price prohibitive. For example I just booked a 55 minute pedicure, I love that one at Lotus, and it is $55. At a cheap nail place near me, I would pay probably $30, but it would not be as long, I wouldnt be in a beautiful ship, and I wouldnt be able to then just go relax by the pool.

I do like the tip to write it on my sheet before hand to not upsell. Ill try that on this cruise.

My husband and I do the couples massage on our cruises and they very much push for us to buy supplements. Even after we told them the DH is a personal trainer and also sells supplements, they still pushed a little more.

With that being said, we will continue to do the couples massage, even though we know they will continue to push (even though it's borderline rude).

We do the couples also. Never had a sales pitch. ;)

Edited by janetz

They are only doing their job and from what I read here some do it better than others. With that said, you can't go to any establishment today whether it be a restaurant or department store without someone trying to up sell you an apple pie or a tie to go with your shirt. In the words of Nancy Reagan, "Just Say No"!

We do the couples also. Never had a sales pitch. ;)

You must've answered the pre-massage questionaire differently than I did.

I read on another thread about someone writing on the bottom of the form that they don't want to be sold anything. That's a great idea!