A Few Notes on the 5-Day Getaway on the Caribbean Princess

Rosethorn40

Just boarded the Caribbean Princess yesterday (August 23) for a 5-day Western Caribbean cruise. A few observations and information that those with upcoming 5-day cruises may find useful.

1. Sanctuary was $150 pp for cruise duration passes. You may use it on the first day (Embarkation Day). They were allowing people to select individual days the first day. By 5:30 when were leaving for the day they had sold 28 or 29 cruise duration, sold out of sea day only, and had a few spots left for port days.

2. Thermal Suite is $79 pp or $150 for 2

3. Formal night is on Day 2 (Sea Day)

4. Crab Shack is offered once on Day 3 (Grand Cayman). Reservations were filling up fast yesterday afternoon.

5. Younger demographic, but not too many children. Many, many first time cruisers, and first timer's with Princess.

6. Food in the buffet was okay, but a little salty for my taste. Dinner last night in the Palm Dining Room was very good. Of course food is subjective, so far so good.

We have calm seas, and mostly sunny skies for now. Off to the Sanctuary to take my morning nap.

We are going on CB in February and have mixed reviews based on the negative reviews of the ship not being up to par. Have they switched out beds, carpet, etc in rooms? Also, do they have EZ air on 5-day? Have a great cruise. Thanks.

Thanks for your review. Following along with you as we have an upcoming 5 day cruise.

Are they offering zumba? dance lessons?

I'd bet they do. They had both on the sea days of our 7-night cruise earlier this month.

Thanks for that. Will certainly think seriously about the Sanctuary.

We are book on Ocean for 19th December and are arriving a week early, so I am watching prices for the 13th December version of this cruise as I am expecting there might be some good prices nearer the date.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there are a lot of people on board getting their first taste of cruising to see how they like it. I know that I wouldn't want to do a cruise under 7 days now as it would feel like a really short trip to me, but it sounds like a lovely getaway! Have a great time!

Thanks for the info. We'll be onboard in less than 4 weeks. What shows are running and who is in Crooners?

Doreen, we are on this sailing also!! I think I saw you on our roll call.

This will be my first Princess Cruise!

What is the Sanctuary and what are the charges for?

I watched y'all sail away yesterday!

Enjoy your cruise! I can't wait to hear your report!

Cheryl

We are going on CB in February and have mixed reviews based on the negative reviews of the ship not being up to par. Have they switched out beds, carpet, etc in rooms? Also, do they have EZ air on 5-day? Have a great cruise. Thanks.

The carpet throughout the ship, at least in the parts I've been to looks brand new. Our bed was very comfortable, both DH & I got the best sleep we have had in months. Of course we didn't have 4 cats outside the door yowling to get in.:)

Overall I think the ship looks very good. I think it may have gone through a dry dock earlier this year.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there are a lot of people on board getting their first taste of cruising to see how they like it. I know that I wouldn't want to do a cruise under 7 days now as it would feel like a really short trip to me, but it sounds like a lovely getaway! Have a great time!

I agree, normally would not have booked a 5 day, BUT DH & I really needed a break, and even with airfare, with the great rate we got it was cheaper than going to Ocean City (MD) or one of the beaches in NC, plus with a cruise if really bad weather threatens they will change in itinerary.

We have been to Grand Cayman & Cozumel a number of times, and probably won't get off the ship.

This will be my first Princess Cruise!

What is the Sanctuary and what are the charges for?

I watched y'all sail away yesterday!

Enjoy your cruise! I can't wait to hear your report!

Cheryl

The Sanctuary is an adult only area that has a spa feel. Very comfortable loungers that you can reserve by the cruise duration, day or 1/2 day. The charge is because for the length of time you rent the bed (So to speak) it's yours and you can come and go as you please and no one calls you a chair hog. There are several stewards and waiters who are assigned to the location and see to your comfort. When it's really hot they come by with water misters for your face and cool wet towels to wipe your face, arms, whatever with. It's suppose to be quiet and tranquil, but there are a number of people at the Lotus Spa pool that are having a VERY good time at the moment.

The area around the Lotus Spa is adult only and free, but it has only 12 loungers that are teak with thin blue cushions. All 12 spots were taken by 8 am when I walked by this morning. The Aft area also has a pool area that is adult only as well, so you don't have to pay extra to find a quiet spot, but we like our little luxuries.

Edited by Rosethorn40

The Sanctuary is an adult only area that has a spa feel. Very comfortable loungers that you can reserve by the cruise duration, day or 1/2 day. The charge is because for the length of time you rent the bed (So to speak) it's yours and you can come and go as you please and no one calls you a chair hog. There are several stewards and waiters who are assigned to the location and see to your comfort. When it's really hot they come by with water misters for your face and cool wet towels to wipe your face, arms, whatever with. It's suppose to be quiet and tranquil, but there are a number of people at the Lotus Spa pool that are having a VERY good time at the moment.

The area around the Lotus Spa is adult only and free, but it has only 12 loungers that are teak with thin blue cushions. All 12 spots were taken by 8 am when I walked by this morning. The Aft area also has a pool area that is adult only as well, so you don't have to pay extra to find a quiet spot, but we like our little luxuries.

Thanks so much for that info! Sounds heavenly!

The carpet throughout the ship, at least in the parts I've been to looks brand new. Our bed was very comfortable, both DH & I got the best sleep we have had in months. Of course we didn't have 4 cats outside the door yowling to get in.:)

Overall I think the ship looks very good. I think it may have gone through a dry dock earlier this year.

I will be doing this cruise the end of Sept. I was on the CB in May and had a great time. I understand your post about the 4 cats. I also have 4 cats and do not let them in my bedroom. Yes they bang on the door and yowl to get in. :p But I love them anyway.

Will the attendants in the Sanctuary bring me cocktails from the bar too? Just sounds like a lovely area to enjoy a Bloody Mary in the morning or an afternoon cocktail. What are the hours for the Sanctuary?

Thanks!