Just booked on the Zuiderdam

cruiserabc123

We just booked the Sept 13th, 2014, 7 Day Alaska sailing out of Vancouver. This is my first time sailing with HAL, however second time doing the Alaska trip (first time was with NCL). Interested in thoughts and comments about the ship and if you get a daily "newsletter" of activities?

Thanks!

Ariane

We just booked the Sept 13th, 2014, 7 Day Alaska sailing out of Vancouver. This is my first time sailing with HAL, however second time doing the Alaska trip (first time was with NCL). Interested in thoughts and comments about the ship and if you get a daily "newsletter" of activities?

Thanks!

Ariane

Did a quick day tour of her yesterday ... loved it .... so many little spots to sit and have a drink .... and the crows nest is the perfect spot to nature watch ... wish I could have stayed on it.

Thanks!

Ariane

We were on the Zuiderdam in May for the second year in a row on an Alaskan cruise. We love the ship, service was great, a wonderful captain and great food.

Thanks!

Ariane

Here are the daily activities (On Location) from last years Zuiderdam in Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1547

Here are the current HAL regular menus (Room Service, Beverages, and Specialty Restaurant) in PDF format that may be of interest:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Here are the Zuiderdam Main Dining Room menus from 2013 to get an idea of what there is to eat without having to pay extra:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1591

Note that Room Service 24/7 is free a is coffee, tea, juices, and hot chocolate.

Here is a PDF tour of the Zuiderdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1605

We were on the Zuiderdam two weeks ago. The food was great. The ship needs a bit of refurbishment..some of the rooms are quite lovely and some well let's just say there were some creative use of colors. The captain is charming. Be sure to go to the talk with the captain on the first sea day. We liked Dave the cruise director.

Be prepared for some choppy seas as the cruise does go out in the open ocean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Zuiderdam 7 night cruise from Vancouver a week ago, August 16-23, and we had a wonderful time! We had Neptune Suite #7081. We loved the food and service in the dining room and Pinnacle Grill, food in Lido was fine, and we preferred to find a table first so we didn't have to wander around with plates. Room service breakfast was delivered on time and to order - nice luxury first thing in the morning as you are waking up! We had spectacular scenery and weather in Glacier Bay and Ketchikan - 72degrees and clear....so lucky. I like the aft pool deck for scenery, and the Crow's Nest with our mochas from the Explorations Café....:) The stage shows were glitzy and fun, tho' I skipped the percussion group and the comedian. Lots to do, or not do, on board! Excursions were Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau (4 years ago we loved the Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watching), The Best of Skagway (bus up, train down, Liarsville, and Red Onion Saloon), and the Duck Boat in Ketchikan and lunch at Fish Pirates Saloon (4 years ago we did the bus tour to Saxman Village). Formal nights were Sunday and Wednesday, variety of "dress" seen but most tried to glam up a bit. We loved the ship overall, the usual fabulous staff and crew, and great organization getting on/off the ship. Lucky you!

Thanks everyone for your posts! It's very helpful! The two family members I am traveling with have never done an Alaskan cruise before, so we are all looking forward to it.

Hello

In case it's of interest or helps with your planning, from the Zuiderdam RT out of Vancouver on 26 July I have made these (destinations only, with the merest glimpse of the ship on Glacier Bay day)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085124

We were lucky with the weather, with the only rain at Juneau, where it made little or no difference to our whale-watching trip, and some on the last part of drive back to Skagway. When we really wanted good days (Glacier Bay, Ketchikan) we got them - especially at the latter.

So overall it was a great cruise, and I hope you are as fortunate and enjoy it as much as I did. All the best, Tony

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are extremely excited to go. We have a Verandah booked on Deck 5. There aren't many photos online of the ship itself, so I'll do my best to take some while we are away (I'm a photographer so I am very snap happy). I know it probably won't help too many though as I guess she is going in for refurbishment? By the sounds of it, things are still in working order...

Edited by enaira
adding more info

I did that cruise last month and loved it. Service was great and the Cruise Director was one of the best I've seen (Hamish). We loved the food, and entertainment wasn't too bad.

The only thing that left a little to be desired was the ship. I wasn't a big fan of the decor and thought it was a little gaudy. Well, that and the fact they reserved the Crow's Nest for private groups several times during the cruise. Hopefully they don't pull that crap on your cruise.

Otherwise, I loved the cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy. :)