First Med Cruise: Athens/Istanbul or Yachtsmen's Med?

quickdraw03

I'm thinking about taking my wife on a cruise in the Med for our 10th wedding anniversary. We're doing our first cruise in Feb. with the kids in the Disney Fantasy. We could find grandparent care from mid-June to early August next year, so we have a narrow window and a 7 day cruise is our time limit.

I've done about half of the typical Athens/Istanbul itinerary, but my wife hasn't. Everything on Yachtsman's cruise would be new to both of us.

Any recommendations would be great. I'm searching for a TA, who can help me make sure I get the best deal whatever I do.

Thanks,

QD

We are not supposed to recommend agents on these boards, but certainly suggest you use one used to Seabourn and/or the other luxury lines.

Thought I would just suggest you might prefer to travel in the June slot - less crowds, less hot, usually lovely weather and what you might well enjoy, as parents without your own being with you, less likelihood of there being many if any children on board.

Tilly,

Your post makes a lot of sense. The downsides to that route are the extra travel and the fact that the itinerary is not especially unique. I would love to do Istanbul with my wife. It's definitely on the bucket list.

For some reason, I'm less excited right now about the prospect of a Athens to Venice or Venice to Rome cruise.

We did the Athens to Istanbul route at the end of July and it was fabulous in every way. There were a few children but being SB they were all very well behaved and we did not notice their presence. The sail into Istanbul was wonderful and Ephesus exceeded expectations. Each stop had something different to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just looked at these itineraries - I presume the Yachtsman's is Monte Carlo return? These are both marvellous itineraries; very hard to choose. The evening in Ephesus is indeed magical (certainly the first time you go!). If you live in Europe particularly the other one would be easier flights, lots of flights to Nice airport each day, but I would honestly not be able to recommend either one over the other, the Monte Carlo one has some lovely small ports. Maybe if you really only have 7 days it would be worth saving Istanbul for when you have time to stay over there for 2 or 3 nights?

I would pick the Athens/ Istanbul route as the sail into Istanbul is absolutely stunning, also if you are to visit kusadasi on the itinerary the evening at Ephasus will be included which is really worth doing.

apuleius: We did the Athens to Istanbul route at the end of July and it was fabulous in every way.

Super agree about the sail-in to Istanbul being totally amazing. Here is one of my visuals as photo proof/evidence!! Our first cruise in 2006 was on the Seabourn Spirit in mid June' date=' Athens to Istanbul. Worked super well. Perfect weather, no summer crowds, loved Ephesus and other stops in the Greek Isles and along the Turkish Coast. Below are two examples of the evening at Ephesus setting.

[b']Lots of great options!![/b] Nice to have many spectacular choices.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 73,980 views for this fun posting.

Here was our first view of Istanbul in 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has so much variety, history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Walking to night concert at the Ephesus library gives a great, less-crowded sampling for this historic site.:

EphesusWalkingIn.jpg

Here is the wider view as we enjoyed a night concert in front of the historic library at Ephesus with the sun getting ready to set. This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

NightLibrary.jpg

Hi,

Just had a more in depth look at your options.

We have done all three options you speak of, and i would definitely say Athens to venice or Athens to Istanbul would be my preference. Venice to Athens would also include Croatia which is stunning.

Yachtsman's rivera looks reasonable,but there do seem to be some less exciting ports, however, corsica is lovely.

The travel is not really too much of an issue, an extra 1 or two hours on the plane. You might even have to travel one way with two different airlines, but for us it is worth it.

I'd definitely book in June. We did a 21 day Med cruise a few years ago, starting on June 19th. We had really lovely weather the first 2 weeks, and then the weather turned very hot starting July 4th. After that point it was too hot to enjoy the ports. Friends who boarded the day we got off the ship experienced the same hot weather for the next two weeks. They said they'd never cruise the Med in July again.

Our cruise included 6 of the ports in Yachtsmen's Med itinerary if you have any questions.

Wow. Thanks for the replies.

Tlc, I love your pictures.

I know the Med gets hot having spent one August in Athens. I'll look for June and early July options. I had not thought about direction. Sailing into Istanbul would be neat.

I'm going to research the Venice to Athens routes as well.

Thank you!