Secrets about equinox that are good to know

poe17

We are sailing onboard the equinox in November, can anyone tell me any secrets, or a link leading to a past posting of secrets, I have had a little look, but am very busy so haven't had time to go through lots, Thankyou in advance x

Those of us who love the Solstice Class ships are happy to help a new cruiser! (I'm on my second cup of coffee.) Just two things not always known....the snacks at the Cafe al Bacio are free, its just the coffees and teas that have a fee. Also, the Mast Grill has fantastic hamburgers and fries. Its outside above the pool deck. Check your dailies regarding different things being put out at the Oceanview Buffet at different hours. For example, after lunch, sometime later in the afternoon they put out tea sandwiches and later sushi.

The ice cream! They make it on board in lots of wonderful flavors! My favorites are the cherry brandy, the pistachio, the after eight, the mango, the coconut, the cinnamon....

Please feel free to ask any question you would like.

We had a premium drink plan and let our room steward know and asked if he could put a couple of bottles of water in room each night and he was happy to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

I have sympathy for the OP - I recently decided to take an RCI cruise after years of cruising Celebrity. I read and read and searched and searched to find out info, but it was massively time consuming as well as confusing as it is hard to determine what info is current versus what has changed (of course dates give an indication, but lots of info is old). Sometimes to find an answer to a simple question I had to read literally dozens of posts. Not everyone has the time to do that. It hurts no one to ask questions.

I have researched everything possible about the Silhouette but I still love the "here and now". It's fun to read everyone's comments and helps with the excitement of my next cruise. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Equinox and the other Solstice class ships.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Happy Cruising! :)

We had a premium drink plan and let our room steward know and asked if he could put a couple of bottles of water in room each night and he was happy to.

Now that's some great info! I'm perpetually thirsty, and we're planning to upgrade to premium so this'll be a must do for us. Thanks for the suggestion! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall best advice...

Take the time to read Celebrity's Website... Or order a printed brochure. Tons of great info.

Most popular Questions on S-Class Ships:

1- Tell me how to choose a cabin ?

See the S-Class Cabin STICKY at the top of the forum. Note that although the ships have virtually identical footprints, room numbers can differ... So look for your specific ship or work with Deck Plans so as to compare like cabins.

2- What will my cabin be like ?

Check out Celebrity's Website for schematics and info on cabin size & amenities etc

And this post that I created in 2012 as to storage...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Note that this post was done for the first S-Class Ship, The Solstice minor changes were made for the 4 ships that followed her. Posters in that topic noted their findings

3- Beverage Pkgs...

Gosh soooo many topics on this. Everything from the basics to full wine lists.

Suggest you start here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092026

Replies # 10 & 11 show which items are included (as far as brand names) and how the cost limits works Classic vs Premium

Basically, if you drink 2 to 3 or more Alcoholic Drinks a day, in addition to everything else... A Bevvy Pkg is worth it. Then it is just a matter of determining your brands so you know if you should go Classic or Premium

4- Dress Code...

Again tons of topics. Suggest you start with the Celebrity Website so you can see the actual rules in writing.

That will help you understand the actual requirement (pretty straight forward) vs the wishful thinking & rumours that so many post here on CC.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... I get you are busy, but saying so in the way you did, makes it sound like no one else could possibly be as busy as you (afterall we were all once in your shoes too... Unfamiliar with Celebrity). You probably didn't mean to, but it did come off a tad condescending

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We will be on Equinox for the 4th time on a TA from Barcelona the end of October. We were on her in January and are looking forward to the new additions that were made in April.

What do we like? Well everything! I love the Relaxation Room in the spa area at the front of the ship - the loungers are wonderful to relax on and look out the big picture windows at the very front center of the ship - perfect to read, take a nap, do some needlework....

The variety of places to have a drink or relax and people-watch.

The Sky Lounge. We have elite status so we enjoy the events there, but also during the day when it's quiet it's a nice place to watch the view and meet/chat with people.

The 2-story library is nice to sit in and relax. It's not quiet and secluded like your home town library but is nice. You can feel a bit away from it all but still watch the mid ship elevators go up and down and watch people pass by.

All the specialty restaurants. We eat all the formal nights in there, and the first night as well. It's a part of the cruise experience for us.

We enjoy the hot glass show up on 15. The lawn is great too - some don't like it, but it's fun to sit out on blankets and enjoy some wine and cheese and enjoy a concert - that happens at least once per cruise so check that out.

We like to walk up on deck and work out in the gym. And sometimes we skip a lunch or just have one medium meal all day before dinner. It's ok, you don't have to have every snack, every meal, all day long. We steer clear of the buffet as much as possible just because it's too tempting to load up a plate with too many things. Having said that, I quite often get some raw vegetables and mixed lettuce from the buffet and then head up to the Aqua Spa Cafe for some fresh grilled salmon or chicken on top.

If you want a great experience, order room service for breakfast on your port days. We always do. We also write in what we want, regardless of what the menu says, unless it's something really weird. I typically like a plain bowl of fresh raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. Add to that some vanilla yogurt and some granola. I mix that all up and it's my go-to breakfast. Of course it's really a good idea to tip your delivery person when they do room service.

Some people like to go to the ice cream bar and get a small cup of M&Ms or other sprinkle treats. Just because they can. The ice cream is free. I honestly prefer the fat free/sugar free sorbets like passionfruit and mango and all the tropical flavors.

Our favorite place to sit for the theatre shows is the top balcony right on the rail. But our favorite of all is to meet people (we travel just the two of us) and have great conversations with our new friends.

Don't try to find out everything though. Allow yourself to get on board and experience the ship fresh, discovering things all along the way.

Start by getting on board around 11:30 or 12 and instead of heading up to the buffet where there will be crowds of people, go to Bistro on Five and for $7 each you have a nice relaxing sit-down meal. It's our tradition and it's become the tradition of many others as well. You can sit there and relax as long as you want, taking in the sights, and by the time you're done the cabins will likely be available.

Have fun - sorry this was so long.

Edited by ClaudiaB

• 3 weeks later...

I am enjoying this thread as well. We will be cruising the Equinox for the first time in November. I have a spreadsheet with hints and tips and I have copied several things from this thread.

I don't know if it is me or the search engine but I really have a hard time searching for a lot of things on this board. Maybe I should start a thread on how to do a precise search on search cruise critic.

If you have a drink package I would suggest getting your own water.The room steward has enough work .

when you do this, you are asking the room steward to do something that a) they don't normally do; and b) something they are not supposed to do.

Given that, a request like this coupled with a $10/20 bill would be more appropriate than just expecting this extra service and leaving the normal tip.

I am enjoying this thread as well. We will be cruising the Equinox for the first time in November. I have a spreadsheet with hints and tips and I have copied several things from this thread.

I don't know if it is me or the search engine but I really have a hard time searching for a lot of things on this board. Maybe I should start a thread on how to do a precise search on search cruise critic.

I will be on Equinox Nov 10 sailing for 1st time also. Could you share your spreadsheet?

• 3 months later...

We are on the Equinox in November and It is my first time on Celebrity. I would love to see your spreadsheet and also hear any tips you can add from sailing already if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Also, the Mast Grill has fantastic hamburgers and fries. Its outside above the pool deck.

Could not agree more. They serve the most amazing burgers (beef, turkey and vegetarian) and fries and many of my meals have been at the Mast Grill. The burgers in the Oceanview cafe buffet are no match. I just wish the Mast Grill would be open for longer periods of time.

The Equinox is basically the same as the Solstice, Eclipse, Silhoutte, and Reflection, they are all S class so whatever you read about those ships are basically the same for the Equinox. The Reflection is a little different with some modifications.

Read the FAQ section on Celebrity's website as it has a lot of useful info.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Ours did this with the classic. No problems. It's just another ship.

Edited by blindrid

Ours did this with the classic. No problems. It's just another ship.

We have been on the Reflection and are going on the Silhouette this Spring.

We just made a last stop of the night at Café Bacio or one of the bars and brought a bottle of water for each of us back to the room.

Agree with the going to Bistro Five for lunch/relaxing on the embarkation day. Worth the $7/pp to have table service, vs dealing with crowds in OceanView café.

Also when you enter the ship you are typically greeted with free "Welcome Aboard" beverage - typically the option is Sparkling Wine, Mimosas, or Orange juice.

The art collections on the Celebrity ships are fun to explore. Each ship has a theme to the collection, predominately tied to the name of the ship.

If you like interesting cocktails with fresh ingredients - try the molecular bar.

On a sea day - they will do a tour of the kitchen operations. It's pretty cool to see. Also most of the chefs/staff are very open and good for Q&A, so have some thoughtful questions prepared.

If you like to explore what's common activities and food - do a search on cruise critic or google - you can find the Daily Activity Sheets, Menus for Main Dining Room and Specialty restaurants.

We've had good experiences with the Sommeliers in Cellar Masters for suggestions on pairings with food (lunch menu, dinner menus get posted outside MDR). Also if into craft beers - the biggest selection can be found in Cellar Masters.

There will be different menus/beverage availability at the different bars - particularly for wine/beer.

If there's a beer,etc that you enjoy and want to have for dinner that might be in cellar masters, but isn't carried in MDR, ask you sommelier at dinner and they can have it sent to MDR for future nights. (Nice for you and saves them the hassle of walking to other areas of the ship when its busy dining service time).

Staff is very friendly and work very hard. Smile, say hello. Catch people doing things right.Tell them you appreciate their efforts.

In my experience Celebrity Ship officers are very visible on ship.

Interact with them, they are interesting people, but also appreciate feedback (good, bad) of what their staff is doing.

Also if something isn't right in your experience - tell the officers vs waiting to give negative feedback after cruise on cruise critic boards or your survey.

It has been our experience that they will do what they can to fix the issue.

:confused:

I find this surprising. The drink packages specifically state that they do not include room service or the mini bar. I always believed that items supplied by a cabin steward (or butler in a suite) would fall under one of these two classifications.

:confused:

I find this surprising. The drink packages specifically state that they do not include room service or the mini bar. I always believed that items supplied by a cabin steward (or butler in a suite) would fall under one of these two classifications.

It's not room service but a steward taking care of a customer.