Formal/cocktail nights

Courier95

On our Med cruise last year, I if the 3 formal nights was replaced with a cocktail dress code night. As this was only announced during the cruise, it meant that those gents who had taken a tux as their only jacket had no option but to wear that or, of course, eat in one of the speciality restaurants or buffet. Does anyone know if the cocktail night is now the norm as we would like to be prepared but don't want to pack another jacket unnecessarily.

You can almost wear what ever you wish on any night. You can wear a tux every night is you wish. You could also wear shorts every night but may not be allowed to dine in the main venues but will be allowed everywhere else. He could wear a sport jacket instead of a tux or suit on both nights and be able to pack less.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On our Med cruise last year, I if the 3 formal nights was replaced with a cocktail dress code night. As this was only announced during the cruise, it meant that those gents who had taken a tux as their only jacket had no option but to wear that or, of course, eat in one of the speciality restaurants or buffet. Does anyone know if the cocktail night is now the norm as we would like to be prepared but don't want to pack another jacket unnecessarily.

Folks can always dress up and go the the MDR. We would not leave home without a tux. After 50+ cruises... from Cunard to NCL it always works for us.

200+ nights on Celebrity ships, including many sailing from UK ports and have never heard of a Cocktail Night.

No interest in one, either.

The cruise was Barcelona back to Barcelona on the Equinox. The Celebrity Today gave the dress code as Cocktail attire but other than that it was all exactly as a normal formal night. There was no "cocktail theme".

I was on two cruises in 2012 that had two formal and one cocktail night. We learned about this after boarding both times. Many men, including my husband who wore a tux on the formal nights, dressed in smart casual on those nights. I asked for guidance from our waiter and he told me no jacket was required on those nights.

First I've heard of this...

But as I understand it the Ship Captain as Master is in charge of what happens aboard... He gets to decide for example WHEN on the Itinerary that Formal Nights occur

In both cases mentioned, the cruise was meant to have 3 Formal Nights (Cruises 12 to 15 Nights), I am guessing that the Captain figured that 2 was enough... So he called dibs on making the 3rd one Cocktail Attire / Semi Formal...

Would not however count on this happening on any or all cruises 12 Nights or longer

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There were a few reports of this mostly last year and mostly on Europe cruise. The designation was not anything official from corporate. They were mostly port intensive cruises or cruises with a lot of late departures. All the designation meant in reality was that formal was optional you could do smart casual if you wished. As cruise stitch stated just pack for three and you are all set.

Edited by dkjretired