Royal vs Norwegian

juanita1767

There is a group(8-10) of us that are planning a trip to Italy in 2016 and we want to do a cruise also. We don't want to have to dress up every night to go to the main dining room for supper. When I say dress up I mean suit and tie for the guys and formal dresses for the gals. I have cruised once on Norwegian and 1 other friend is a Royal girl. I like that NCL is freestyle and so do 4 of the other in the planning process. Can you tell me more about Royal? Is it freestyle or do you have to have a time for dinner every night?

Thanks so much

On Royal Caribbean you have the choice of traditional dining at a set time each evening or what they call my time dining where you can go to the dining room any time of your choice so there is the flexibility that you are looking for.

What would be the dress code for the main dining room on Royal? I can't seem to find that anywhere. We are use to going south to all inclusive resorts, the guys have no problem wearing collar shirts and the girls usually like to get dressed up just not formal gown dressed up.

What would be the dress code for the main dining room on Royal? I can't seem to find that anywhere. We are use to going south to all inclusive resorts, the guys have no problem wearing collar shirts and the girls usually like to get dressed up just not formal gown dressed up.

Resort dinner clothes fine. Two nights on a one week cruise is the formal nights. Ladies do not need gowns, but typically dress up for a dinner party. Men, do not need to wear a tux, but I have witnessed them wearing jackets and ties. I am not sure if that is required however. No shorts or ripped jeans are allowed in dining rooms ever.

If you want to have dinner as an entire group, you should go for traditional dining with RCCL. That will guarantee your group a table together without needing to wait. If you just show up for dinner on either line, you are likely to have a wait for a table for 8-10.

As far as the lines, I'd prefer RCL. But where you are going to be sailing, the itinerary would be of greater importance to me. Our experience with NCL and being part of a group, it is going to be difficult to get a table for 8 or 10 (or even 2 tables, 1 for 6 and 4 next to each other at the same time) other then VERY early or VERY late. For our group, it was either 5PM or 9:30. If it was inbetween, we didn't even have the option of waiting, we were just told "no...we'd have to split you up". If dining all together is very important, go with RCL.

Edited by marco

Not really sure yet. I think most of us want to have greece and turkey as our ports so it looks like we will be going out of Venice.

No problem. Generally, I recommend RCI over NCL. I've cruised both several times and in my experience, every aspect of RCI has just been a notch better than NCL. If you narrow it down to specific ships though, let us know.

Years ago most passengers dressed up......long gowns for women and a tux for men. But now things have changed quite a bit on Royal Caribbean. A nice dress for ladies and a tie for men.....some with and some without jackets is acceptable for the dining room on formal nights. And some people don't dress up at all.

Your group's preferences fit perfectly with NCL's dress code.

You could experience some problems on RCCL if the restaurant manager enforces their published dress code on formal nights.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

Edited by swedish weave

You could experience some problems on RCCL if the restaurant manager enforces their published dress code on formal nights.

Negative. Dress codes are only a suggestion. They will not be turned away for wearing collared shirts. The only rules they have are no open toed shoes, no tank tops and no hats. And even those aren't always enforced.

Negative. Dress codes are only a suggestion. They will not be turned away for wearing collared shirts. The only rules they have are no open toed shoes, no tank tops and no hats. And even those aren't always enforced.

You say NEGATIVE to my post, but it is what is posted on RCL website. Also, a blog on RCL website describes the dress codes and enforcement.

What FACTS do you have to back up your reply to my post.

I see posts on this forum from some who have been turned away from the MDR's or have witnessed others being turned away.

It is more beneficial to post accurate information to those asking questions than to post opinions just to support your favorite cruise line.

You say NEGATIVE to my post, but it is what is posted on RCL website. Also, a blog on RCL website describes the dress codes and enforcement.

What FACTS do you have to back up your reply to my post.

I see posts on this forum from some who have been turned away from the MDR's or have witnessed others being turned away.

It is more beneficial to post accurate information to those asking questions than to post opinions just to support your favorite cruise line.

My favorite cruise line is Celebrity, so....... :rolleyes:

And yes, I said NEGATIVE because what you said is factually wrong.

Perhaps you should re-read that link you posted and pay special attention to the part where it says "SUGGESTED guidelines for these nights are:" This is factually what RCI's website says - SUGGESTED being the key word.

It is a FACT you do not have to dress formal on their SUGGESTED formal night.

You will not be turned away from a RCI dining room for not dressing formally. Like Cruz said, formal wear is the suggested attire on formal nights, not mandatory attire. I've been on a lot of RCI cruises and I have never heard of anyone being denied entry for not wearing a jacket and tie on formal night. Wearing shorts on formal night might get you denied, but that's because it violates their posted rules. There's a big difference between the rules and suggestions. In fact, go on a 3 night RCI cruise and you'll notice only about half the people are dressed up.

My favorite cruise line is Celebrity, so....... :rolleyes:

And yes, I said NEGATIVE because what you said is factually wrong.

Perhaps you should re-read that link you posted and pay special attention to the part where it says "SUGGESTED guidelines for these nights are:" This is factually what RCI's website says - SUGGESTED being the key word.

It is a FACT you do not have to dress formal on their SUGGESTED formal night.

Where can a new cruiser find this information you are posting ? I have not been able to locate it on RCL or Celebrity websites.

Your group's preferences fit perfectly with NCL's dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

That's a big "if." I see a lot of people that dress casual nightly . . . The suggested code, particularly smart casual is seldom enforced.

????? That would eliminate most women's formal footwear! :eek:

But I digress...

Carry on.

Hilarious! Do they duct tape open-toed sandals? :rolleyes:

Our experience on Royal on the Oasis was, formal nights were a little overwhelming - I would not even know how to pack a few gowns I saw on formal nights

I have never seen a rule about open toed shoes. Where did you get this from?

If open toed shoes were not allowed there would be no women in the dining room.

I have never seen a rule about open toed shoes. Where did you get this from?

If open toed shoes were not allowed there would be no women in the dining room.

????? That would eliminate most women's formal footwear! :eek:

But I digress...

Carry on.

My apologies. Open toe was a poor choice of words. I don't know if they still do, but RCI used to have signs posted outside the MDR that listed sandals as prohibited, along with shorts and tank tops. So it was the sandals I was referring to. Sorry.

Where can a new cruiser find this information you are posting ? I have not been able to locate it on RCL or Celebrity websites.

On the RCCL site you click on "Before you Board", then "What to know before you go" and then "What to pack"

The clothing suggestions are all listed for the different evenings.

Guest maddycat

We sail on RCI twice a year. My husband no longer wears a suit on formal nights. He wears a long sleeve dress shirt and dress slacks, no tie. I wear dress slacks and a fancy top. We have never had a problem getting into the MDR on formal night. My husband is far from the only one who does not wear a jacket and tie. RCI is becoming more and more casual.