Past Guest Party

utkikr21

I just attended the VIFP Party on the Sunshine, and guest are permitted to enter with a Gold or higher member, although I don't think Carnival has planned it that way, or advertises it. I myself think it should be for just the VIFP member, and as stated, it will get out of hand.

It's not necessary to slip a waiter a bill or money, as the drinks were free flowing on this cruise, whether you had an empty or full glass. This cruise, and the one on the Breeze last year the bar waiters and those carry appetizers where stopping and asking if you wanted something before you could finish what your were eating/drinking. I also like that you could get different kinds of drinks (pre-made drinks, whiskey sour, beer, daiquiri, etc.).

Is there any reason to go to the past guest party if we don't drink?

It is a recognition event (or thank you) to loyal Carnival cruisers. At times. you hear about new things which the majority of cruisers (not the crew here for the most part) would not know about. An example of this is future cruise areas (read that as sailing the med) or new ships (the Vista).

As with most things that Carnival does, they try and make it FUN.

In addition to all the things Jimbo mentioned, there is also the fact that you can get free "virgin" frozen drinks at the party as well as fruit punches and other non-alcoholic drinks. And some little appetizers. There's usually dancing and a DJ in addition to the presentation. My kids don't drink (7 and 11) and they enjoyed it. Give it a try. It's not all about downing free drinks as fast as possible to everyone - despite what you sometimes read here.;)

In addition to all the things Jimbo mentioned, there is also the fact that you can get free "virgin" frozen drinks at the party as well as fruit punches and other non-alcoholic drinks. And some little appetizers. There's usually dancing and a DJ in addition to the presentation. My kids don't drink (7 and 11) and they enjoyed it. Give it a try. It's not all about downing free drinks as fast as possible to everyone - despite what you sometimes read here.;)

well said.

Can you think of any reason to go to any land based function, party or social get-together you were invited to attend if you don't drink?

Of course you should go. Enjoy the appetizers and some soft drinks. You can meet the captain and other staff along with fellow cruisers. I enjoy speaking with long time cruisers and their cruising experiences.

Go to the party and have a great time. No need for alcohol.:cool:

I brought my husband with me and called guest services beforehand to make sure. They said that yes, of course I could bring a guest. They did not question it at all. It would not have been very fun to go by myself and leave my husband!

On the flip side of the argument, what kind of party invites one spouse and not the other? It is just common sense.

Some level of guest should be allowed, at least spouse/cabin mate.

Edited by GatorGirl57

I brought my husband with me and called guest services beforehand to make sure. They said that yes, of course I could bring a guest. They did not question it at all. It would not have been very fun to go by myself and leave my husband!

On the flip side of the argument, what kind of party invites one spouse and not the other? It is just common sense.

Some level of guest should be allowed, at least spouse/cabin mate.

Completely agree. Why would I want to go without my husband? And I'd be kinda upset if he went without me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you think of any reason to go to any land based function, party or social get-together you were invited to attend if you don't drink?

Sure, but I know what to expect at gatherings I plan to attend. Aside from the helpful answers from jimbo and shakey in this thread, I had only heard that people attend this party for FREE BOOZE...all you can drink as fast as you can drink it. Sit in a strategic spot to get more than everyone else, etc. And that's fine--I have no problem with it. I just wondered if there was any other reason to attend, like meet the crew, or hear future plans, or door prizes, etc.

Sure, but I know what to expect at gatherings I plan to attend. Aside from the helpful answers from jimbo and shakey in this thread, I had only heard that people attend this party for FREE BOOZE...all you can drink as fast as you can drink it. Sit in a strategic spot to get more than everyone else, etc. And that's fine--I have no problem with it. I just wondered if there was any other reason to attend, like meet the crew, or hear future plans, or door prizes, etc.

I used to really enjoy the trivia about the history of Carnival that was held on the stage at the Past Guest Party. I'm unsure if this is still offered at the Gold/Platinum/Diamond party as it started to seen less and less as time went by.

Davey, it may be worth attending the GPD party at least once. You may like it - there's more than free alcohol. The worst thing is you can walk away clapping for each ship you have sailed and knowing you've tried it once. There's nothing to really lose, except maybe 30 minutes.

Edited by Disconnections

I used to really enjoy the trivia about the history of Carnival that was held on the stage at the Past Guest Party. I'm unsure if this is still offered at the Gold/Platinum/Diamond party as it started to seen less and less as time went by.

Davey, it may be worth attending the GPD party at least once. You may like it - there's more than free alcohol. The worst thing is you can walk away clapping for each ship you have sailed and knowing you've tried it once. There's nothing to really lose, except maybe 30 minutes.

Nothing like this at the party on the Ecstasy last December. More of a meet & greet. But it could be different ship to ship based on the Captain and CD.

I wonder and maybe others know the answer but is the vifp party a standard thing fleetwide or does the quality and setup of the event vary depending on ship management and the cruise director? The last one I went to was on the ecstasy almost two years ago and it was a 7 day sailing out of Canaveral. I ask because I have heard that it varies depending on the cd but I also know the program has recently been revamped. It was the best past guest party I had ever attended and at the time I was only gold, not even platinum yet. I got about four funship specials as the bar guys go around the lounge with trays full of them for the entire hour. They also have finger food if you're interested but when I went it was right before dinner so j just drank. A lot. Lol. Almost missed dinner. You can order whatever you want but it obviously will take longer to get to your table. Well worth it though. Much better than the stupid thing they used to do in the atrium lobby or wherever they held it usually. Going on the breeze in a few weeks so hopefully they have a good party there.

I wonder and maybe others know the answer but is the vifp party a standard thing fleetwide or does the quality and setup of the event vary depending on ship management and the cruise director? The last one I went to was on the ecstasy almost two years ago and it was a 7 day sailing out of Canaveral. I ask because I have heard that it varies depending on the cd but I also know the program has recently been revamped. It was the best past guest party I had ever attended and at the time I was only gold, not even platinum yet. I got about four funship specials as the bar guys go around the lounge with trays full of them for the entire hour. They also have finger food if you're interested but when I went it was right before dinner so j just drank. A lot. Lol. Almost missed dinner. You can order whatever you want but it obviously will take longer to get to your table. Well worth it though. Much better than the stupid thing they used to do in the atrium lobby or wherever they held it usually. Going on the breeze in a few weeks so hopefully they have a good party there.

The parties are pretty much same ship to ship. A cruise does have to be 5 nights or longer to have one though.