We always go on RCCL, now going on Reflection, what do we need to know?

balle26

All of our cruises have been RCCL and we are going to try Celebrity Reflection in November. I know they are owned by the same company but looking for tips, advice, major differences, anything thing else we need to know. It'll be weird being newbies so we know all of the how toos on all of our previous cruises and we haven't been a newbie in a long time. We never get off the ship so not looking for island help or anything like that. :)

What you need to know is that once you've experienced Celebrity you probably won't go back to RCCL unless you have a strong desire to experience their huge ships :p

Given that this is the Celebrity portion of the forum you'll get responses from a lot of pro-Celebrity people like myself.

Here is how I would sum it up.

Ships The Celebrity ship will not have all the "toys" you'll find on RCCL but you will find it is more elegant and functional. The restaurants and bars are much better (IMHO)

Food This is the biggest area where you'll find Celebrity better than RCCL. The food in the MDR and the various specialty restaurants is better.

Entertainment Celebrity will have fewer people at the disco but the regular bars will be filled with people and music. The evening shows will be good but ultimately that will be a personal preference.

I'm sure others will chime in... but unless you're 20 something and are looking for a party, I'm sure what Celebrity has to offer will be good.

thank you, do we have to book shows ahead of time and worry about going to them 45 minutes early due to seating issues. That is always annoying on RCCL to be honest. We are 40 years old and do love all the "toys" on RCCL but realize we will not be getting that on Celebrity.

When in port and going back to the ship you look for the one with the "X" on it, plus there will be the sofa, canopy with the refreshment station and sometime the red carpet by the gangway.

Since you sailed before you will know the procedures and the layout of the ship as they are basically all the same. You will find that they are more alike than different.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I am also sailing on the Reflection in Nov on the 8th-15th with my friend. We went this last March as well and had to book a second trip on her this year that is how amazing it is! Lets just say you will never go back. Unless you have kids that might make a difference there. However I think Celebrity is the best and most luxurious line out there. Sure it may be more expensive than most but you pay for what you get and cant be the first class service and quality. I cant wait to be back on her here in Nov!

After 29 cruises on RCCL, we went on our first Celebrity cruise last year.

We now have 4 more cruises booked with Celebrity and 2 more with RCCL.

Hopefully you'll enjoy Celebrity as much as we did. Our only regret is not trying Celebrity sooner !

Enjoy your cruise.:)

I have been one time with Costa, one with RCCL, now just Celebrity :) If you stay on the ship, hope you have the drink package, you will love the martini bar and my favorite, the molecular bar, food is very good too, did I mention the cafe al bacio :D

If you are Diamond Level with Royal you would qualify for Celebrity's Elite program after your first cruise.

The Sunset Bar on Reflection is the best in the whole fleet!

Actually, if you are diamond on RCCL, you would qualify for Elite on your first X cruise. All you have to do is contact the Captains Club and have them give you a CC number. Just remember there are no dedicated Elite lounges on X. You will get a list of CC activities and it's up to you to keep track of them. We bring a magnet to hang the invite up to remind us when to go. Very few announcements over the ship's loudspeaker.

As for shows, no reservations are needed. We usually go about 10 minutes before show times and still get decent seats.

Overall, expect a laid back, easy going crowd of adults looking for a pleasant cruise. Enjoy being a newbie again.

Welcome to Celebrity!

We sailed RCCL the first time in 1990, Celebrity in 1994, the Reflection last Nov. You know the in's an out's of how a cruise flows, this will be no different. BUT:D IMHO, and experience, it will be a tad different. A bit more laid back, not sedate tho:rolleyes:. The service in Vintages on RCCL was better than the single over loaded SOM on Reflection, now he has all the craft beers too.

The Lawn Club Grill is a MUST, as the steak is on par with Chops, but with a laid back outdoor watch and listen to the ocean go by patio to dine on. Qsine has to be the most daring speciality venue at sea! Go hungry and if you can in a group.

Other than this, oh a couple of nice funky bars, the Sunset is where to hang foe sail away and of course, to watch the sunset!

Please come back and give us your thoughts when you return.

EW

• 2 weeks later...
I am also sailing on the Reflection in Nov on the 8th-15th with my friend. We went this last March as well and had to book a second trip on her this year that is how amazing it is! Lets just say you will never go back. Unless you have kids that might make a difference there. However I think Celebrity is the best and most luxurious line out there. Sure it may be more expensive than most but you pay for what you get and cant be the first class service and quality. I cant wait to be back on her here in Nov!

I love Celebrity. Elegant, classy and luxurious. I'll be on that Nov., 8th Cruise too. Can't wait.

Steve

Hi Balle26,

we sailed for years with Celebrity. Always enjoyed it. the last 6 years we have sailed with RCCL and we loved that too. I do enjoy the glitz and the bigger ships but I also love the elegance of Celebrity.

Celebrity makes you feel special.

So, as you can tell, I like both. Its always fun to explore a new ship too.

Enjoy!!

If you are Diamond Level with Royal you would qualify for Celebrity's Elite program after your first cruise.

The Sunset Bar on Reflection is the best in the whole fleet!

Helen,

I totally agree about the Sunset Bar. What a great way to spend the evening before going to dinner.

Someone mentioned Celebrity costs more and that isn't true. We've paid less for our Nov.15 reflection than we did for either FOTS or OOTS (comparable cabin).

Which sailing are you on OP?

Agreed. In our experience over the past several years X is significantly less for a comparable "sea-view" balcony...especially when the drink package and on board credit is included.

15 Royal Caribbean cruises and last 4 on Celebrity. Food is overall better on Celebrity but sometimes inconsistent. For example I prefer the MDR bread on Royal. Have had a few bad meals on Celebrity but most are outstanding. Don't think I ever had a bad meal on Royal but the good ones are not as good. Buffet is much better on Celebrity, especially for breakfast. Did not care for MDR breakfast on Celebrity but we like it on Royal. Go figure!

Entertainment in the theater is comparable between the two and sometimes the exact same headliners are on both lines.

Many more ship board activities on Royal. The music around the lounges is much more laid back on Celebrity. I really miss the piano bar and pub guitarist when I am on Celebrity. I feel that Celebrity gets too caught up in being "sophisticated" at times so they have events and parties which sound good on paper but are just boring to me.

Overall I highly recommend Celebrity for more port intensive cruises but prefer Royal for cruises with more sea days.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For DH and me, X has better food and service than RCCL, and the X ships are prettier. X is a very elegant cruise line, even though it does not have as many active entertainment venues as RCCL. You will enjoy everything about X EXCEPT their website! :D

All of our cruises have been RCCL and we are going to try Celebrity Reflection in November. I know they are owned by the same company but looking for tips, advice, major differences, anything thing else we need to know. It'll be weird being newbies so we know all of the how toos on all of our previous cruises and we haven't been a newbie in a long time. We never get off the ship so not looking for island help or anything like that. :)

We also love Celebrity and the Reflection. We are D+ in RCCL, moved to Celebrity looking for a better smoking policy and we found our home. Hope you enjoy Celebrity as much as we do...:)

HI. I'm on the same cruise and agree with you. We did the Serenade of the Seas southern route on RCL and while it was great, once we went on a Celebrity cruise, we never looked back. See ya in November. ;)