Irritated by the Valor/Liberty swap

topspin1267

Yes. I check the fares every day. That is how I found out about the switch. The cruise wouldn't show up. Then saw posts about the valor on the boards.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Then what's the price difference after the switch...I'm assuming it's a lower cost?

Then what's the price difference after the switch...I'm assuming it's a lower cost?

But thats the point, its more than what i booked at, but they arent going to drop the price now, think of all the fares that would receive a credit. They arent doing anything to give us any compensation for the change. If they dont want to say "heres $50 for changing ships", they sure as heck wont lower the fare and give anyone money back.

Just off the Valor a couple of months ago. Haven't been on the Liberty since 2007, but experienced the 2.0 upgrades on the Breeze last October. With that...

The Liberty has Guys. The Valor has the traditional grill. You'll lose a few options of toppings. You'll gain those delicious chicken fingers. It's a wash.

The Liberty has the Blue Iguana Cantina. The Valor has the burrito bar. The burritos tasted the exact same to me.

The Liberty has the pasta bar. The Valor has fish and chips. Depending on how much you enjoy seafood (or pasta), it can go either way.

The pre-2.0 production shows are, far and away, better audience experiences than the post-2.0 shows. And the shows on the Valor are spectacular. Really. And if the shows on the Liberty are anything like the ones we saw on the Breeze, I'd skip 'em.

You'll still get the Taste Bar on both. Plenty of bar options on both. Same brunch. You're not looking at an entirely different experience (unless you spend most of your days on the water slides).

As others around here have said, I wouldn't say the Valor is in desperate need of a dry dock. The pools are lovely. The Serenity deck is expansive and well-kept. The common areas don't show much sign of wear and tear. The Liberty is a lovely ship, too, but from someone who sailed both a pre- and post-2.0 ship in the past year, I don't think you're going to experience anything vastly different on one than you would on the other.

Edited by Nicole721

Sorry to go off topic but I can't figure out how to send a private message. Was 7439 bookable online? If so then it is not available for our sailing. Or maybe not available for 3 guests?

They only show 10 rooms at a time so it could be available if you call. I booked more than a year in advance so thought they might be available. When are you going and what ship? Might not work with 3 guests.

Don't they usually send the new ships to Miami or NYC?
The only new ship that sailed to NYC in recent memory was Carnival Dream, which finished its Transatlantic at NYC and then did a CTN. It didn't go well - the "jetways" between the pier and the ship didn't fit given the lifeboat placement, so they had to do embarkation and debarkation from deck 0.

Now that I'm back from my RCI cruise I have just got off the phone with Carnival. The only consideration that Carnival will give, is to allow us to change to another ship/itinerary at no cost or obtain a complete refund if we in the UK cancel before 15th September (normally if we cancel we lose our deposit).

Even when I explained we are locked in with dates as we have already purchased air fare which is non changeable, non refundable (again common from here in the UK to the US) this gives us only 1 option to switch and that is to sail on Sunshine departing on May 9th for a 7 night sailing. Basically, sorry but it's you who are inflexible.

Shore excursions will be rebooked starting September 8th and Your Time dining will be reinstated.

That's it, so off to find videos of Valor.

But thats the point, its more than what i booked at, but they arent going to drop the price now, think of all the fares that would receive a credit. They arent doing anything to give us any compensation for the change. If they dont want to say "heres $50 for changing ships", they sure as heck wont lower the fare and give anyone money back.

I understand that...I'm talking of the woman that checks the prices daily. Ik the rates of the San juan cruise are the same as they were the day before the swap. Just wanted to know how The price of the PC cruise are different t now than the day before because someone said that they paid more because of the ship.

Don't think so. Exact same week 2013 dream $2000 for 7 days in a balcony for 4. $3900 for an 8 day on the liberty.

I can live with the swap. I just think it should be cheaper.

You probably booked it on purpose right? We booked Liberty. I know we can cancel but it's hard to reschedule spring break :p

Thats right! But I also don't book for the ship. I book for itinerary first, then price. Ship really doesn't make or break my cruise. :p Just my opinion.

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers
added wording

Just to let you know I have received a response to an email I sent to Carnival regarding what I consider a downgrade (I know others don't and I respect your opinion, but I do consider it a downgrade).

This is some of the response.

"Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We received your e-mail message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We understand your concerns and disappointment with the change of ship. Although, the Valor does not offer the same features as the Liberty, the Valor is a terrific ship with a variety of other exciting features that we believe will be exciting and to your enjoyment. I’m sorry to say there is no compensation for the change in ships. We are confident our guests will have an equal amount of fun on the Carnival Valor. "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by peteukmcr

It seems to me that the Carnival Organization is in a bit of disarray, possibly because their cost cutting plans do not seem to be working out. They felt that the public would view the Carnival Sunshine as a new ship, but this is apparently not the case with major complaints in regards to it such as poor air-conditioning and service.

As compared to RCCL with their new builds and even NCL with both their new builds and the recent mergers it does seem that Carnival has fallen way behind.

In respect to the Carnival Valor it is in the same class as the Liberty and Freedom, I do not think that the new "upgrades" will make a big difference. It will be esentially the same cruise. Instead of a burger at Guy's, you can get much the same burger at the pool.

If given the option of rebooking, consider RCCL out of Pt. Carnival. Freedom of the Seas currently sails out of the Port and in cruise experience it leaves Carnival in the dust.

We just did Freedom in February and would rebook there but its the same itinerary we just did.

I wouldn't be so upset but we booked a 4h on deck 10 mid way down the hall forward. The only 4h quad on 10 on the Valor is on the end by the stairs by the waterslide. 2 walls are adjacent to the common area meaning , nosier location. So not only did we get an older non-2.0 ship, for us, we didn't even get the same cabin:mad:

We had just booked two cabins on the Lido deck of the Valor for the July 19th cruise the day before the change. One of the cabins was the coveted 6K's on the Lido deck. Well, Carnival said they cannot put us on the Lido on Liberty but would give us the Verandah.

We decided to switch plans completely - this is a special trip with 3 of our teen grandkids and we chose specific cabins. Carnival was unable to help us with the Liberty, so we have chosen the 8-day Breeze, with cabins on the Lido deck.

If it weren't for the grandkids, we couldn't care less what deck or what ship we're on, but since this is a one-time thing for them, we wanted it to be special.

So now I'm getting excited all over again for the Breeze. Carnival had better not switch ships on this grandma again!

We were originally booked on the Valor and just found out that we are now on the Liberty. On this itinerary, the 2.0 upgrades don't mean much to us since we only have 1 sea day and 6 ports. What I'm irked about is being changed from an 8N to an 8F category with no compensation. Carnival's website even shows the price difference and yet 5 different Carnival supervisors refuse to acknowledge that. They keep telling me that I should be happy about the change. I should be happy about being moved from an extended aft balcony to a regular balcony? I just want to pay what I should be paying for an 8F not what I did pay for my 8N! Their arrogance is shocking.

We were originally booked on the Valor and just found out that we are now on the Liberty. On this itinerary, the 2.0 upgrades don't mean much to us since we only have 1 sea day and 6 ports. What I'm irked about is being changed from an 8N to an 8F category with no compensation. Carnival's website even shows the price difference and yet 5 different Carnival supervisors refuse to acknowledge that. They keep telling me that I should be happy about the change. I should be happy about being moved from an extended aft balcony to a regular balcony? I just want to pay what I should be paying for an 8F not what I did pay for my 8N! Their arrogance is shocking.

Can't you take a refund and rebook the cabin or price you want?

Can't you take a refund and rebook the cabin or price you want?

I would have to pay out of pocket since my refund would take "some time to process" as Carnival says. The price difference is not monumental at all, its more their arrogance of seeing the price difference and refusing to acknowledge it. They just keep telling me that "I should be happy about the change." Well, no, actually I am not happy about it. And from what I read on here, Carnival is refusing to refund or compensate those that are now on the Valor. If I'm supposed to be happy for the upgraded ship and thus the higher cost for a lower category room, then what about the people that paid for the Liberty but now have a downgraded ship? If that's their logic for the new Liberty passengers, then those that are now on the Valor should be receiving some sort of compensation, especially for those that had to change cabin categories. It seems to be a company wide mandate to not compensate any passengers for this change even though many people are being impacted financially by their cabin changes.

I would have to pay out of pocket since my refund would take "some time to process" as Carnival says. The price difference is not monumental at all, its more their arrogance of seeing the price difference and refusing to acknowledge it. They just keep telling me that "I should be happy about the change." Well, no, actually I am not happy about it. And from what I read on here, Carnival is refusing to refund or compensate those that are now on the Valor. If I'm supposed to be happy for the upgraded ship and thus the higher cost for a lower category room, then what about the people that paid for the Liberty but now have a downgraded ship? If that's their logic for the new Liberty passengers, then those that are now on the Valor should be receiving some sort of compensation, especially for those that had to change cabin categories. It seems to be a company wide mandate to not compensate any passengers for this change even though many people are being impacted financially by their cabin changes.

Agreed. As I posted we also got downgraded on our cabin AND OUR SHIP!! but still have the same price.

I usually host a meet and mingle with open bar (or under the new policy 3 drink choices plus beer and wine) for our roll call. I host from 30 - 105 cruisers in a lounge on the ship, have always been a sao called Carnival "cheerleader" but I'm very disappointed in the treatment we've gotten so far. :(