Irritated by the Valor/Liberty swap

topspin1267

IMHO, having been on a combination of 1.0 and 2.0 ships (Triumph pre 2.0, Triumph after 2.0 and Magic, which has some of the 2.0 stuff) I found it doesn't make that big of a difference. Sure Guy's burgers are good. The burritos at the Blue Iguana are pretty good too but I found something I liked on all three cruises and ate way more than I should have. lol

Also, the bars served the same drinks no matter if it had a branding or not. I surely enjoyed plenty on all three ships! ;)

Edited by babsee101

First World Problems, people....

It will be fine. Enjoy your vacations. The Valor is fine. The Liberty is fine. The food is the same on both ships except for a hamburger.

Except they're not the same. As someone else said, there's no Guy's Burgers, no Red Frog, no Blue Iguana, no sports bar, and no Alchemy bar. You're right, we will enjoy our vacation no matter what. But I think it's understandable to be upset if the you book a certain ship specifically because you'd like to try the things that haven't been on the other ships you've sailed. You spend time planning, looking at different ships and itineraries, book what you want, get excited as the months go by, and then you end up being put on something that doesn't have the very things you researched to find and book.

Yes, the ports are the same, but for the ship experience is something I look forward too just as much. And again, while I'll enjoy my vacation with my family, I'll be extremely upset if after all the planning I did to find the ship that had the ports and ship amenities we wanted, they change it to something I didn't choose.

:(

We did as well. They will give you an 8d on lido. Im still looking forward to the cruise but this is our honeymoon cruise and the room was going to be a surprise (as I told her it was an interior hee hee). Oh well it will still be a heck of a cruise.

Just my opinion but...for a honeymoon I would much rather have the balcony cabin than the OV even if it does have extra room (especially for the lower price) and you get the "newer" ship.

The balcony can be so romantic watching the sunset before dinner or star gazing at night, quiet breakfasts alone on the patio... consider the upgrade and ship change a wedding gift from Carnival, order a bottle of champagne and enjoy it on your balcony the first night! Best Wishes!!!

Maybe it was listed in this thread somewhere but I missed it. When are they moving the Liberty out of Port Canaveral?

We are sailing in 8 weeks Nov 2 on the Liberty. Is it next year that this is happening? or has my ship been changed and I know nothing about it :eek:

I had the same question, and here's what I found...

The last sailing of the Valor out of San Juan is 3/15/15.

There is no sailing scheduled on 3/22/15. Assume that this was canceled to reposition the Valor and the Liberty.

The first sailing of the Liberty out of San Juan is on 3/28/15.

We are booked on the Valor for the 3/15 sailing, and are happy with this ship and it's staff. I'd be fine on either ship.

Just my opinion but...for a honeymoon I would much rather have the balcony cabin than the OV even if it does have extra room (especially for the lower price) and you get the "newer" ship.

The balcony can be so romantic watching the sunset before dinner or star gazing at night, quiet breakfasts alone on the patio... consider the upgrade and ship change a wedding gift from Carnival, order a bottle of champagne and enjoy it on your balcony the first night! Best Wishes!!!

I also had a scenic oceanview (although a 6J) for my honeymoon and was switched to an 8D. I think part of the disappointment is that a 6J is such a unique cabin that not many get to experience, and would be more memorable, whereas there are numerous balcony cabins on board and not anything special about them.

While I had not booked yet, we were planning on a Liberty cruise next October. We have sailed on the Fascination & Conquest. I was already doing research on the ports and had done lots of research on the Liberty and we were looking forward to it. Now, we will have to re-think everything.

We like driving to port as we are from Atlanta. We prefer to do a 7 or 8 day and want the 2.0 upgrades. Any suggestions for which ship to choose now? Frustrated! Even though we had not booked, we were getting excited about the Liberty as we enjoyed the Conquest a lot and were looking forward to having everything on the Conquest plus the Mongolian wok.

So our choices now are Conquest (again), Sunshine, Valor, Dream or Glory. Any suggestions? With Valor not having any 2.0 upgrades I just cannot get excited about changing to that ship. Not really sure we want to do the Dream as we cruised out of NOLA last year. We would like to try other ports.

How about the Glory? We haven't been on it yet, but it appears to have most if not all of the same amenities as the Liberty.

There is no sailing scheduled on 3/22/15. Assume that this was canceled to reposition the Valor and the Liberty.

We are booked on the Valor for the 3/15 sailing, and are happy with this ship and it's staff. I'd be fine on either ship.

Thanks for the info[emoji4]

I am quite upset about the swap. I booked a 6k cabin on the Valor more than a year in advance, and the Liberty has no 6k cabin. I suspect Carnival may "upgrade" me to a balcony, but I specifically booked a 6k for its size and unique view. Good thing I hasn't booked air or hotel to San Juan so if I cancel there will be no financial penalties.

I had a 6k room as well on the valor, they moved me to a balcony. I hope the same happens to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was scheduled for a 8 day leaving 4/27/15 on the Liberty. The Valor, if you have cruised on a ship with 2.0 upgrades, is a 100% downgrade at the same price as the Liberty. Just talked to my DS and BIL who is sailing with the bride and I. They said anything I wanted to change to they were ok with. With all that being said, we will be changing to the Sunshine's 7 day cruise leaving PC on 5/2/15!

Except they're not the same. As someone else said, there's no Guy's Burgers, no Red Frog, no Blue Iguana, no sports bar, and no Alchemy bar. You're right, we will enjoy our vacation no matter what. But I think it's understandable to be upset if the you book a certain ship specifically because you'd like to try the things that haven't been on the other ships you've sailed. You spend time planning, looking at different ships and itineraries, book what you want, get excited as the months go by, and then you end up being put on something that doesn't have the very things you researched to find and book.

Yes, the ports are the same, but for the ship experience is something I look forward too just as much. And again, while I'll enjoy my vacation with my family, I'll be extremely upset if after all the planning I did to find the ship that had the ports and ship amenities we wanted, they change it to something I didn't choose.

:(

Agree 100%. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

We do exactly the same in research and choosing a ship, not just for the ports, but the onboard experience.

To those that say be thankful that we can cruise, please understand we are thankful, but we have the right to determine where we spend our money, especially when we travel a long way to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First World Problems, people....

It will be fine. Enjoy your vacations. The Valor is fine. The Liberty is fine. The food is the same on both ships except for a hamburger. I've been on new ships, I've been on older ships. Ask for some OBC if you feel you need extra attention. I'm sure that carnival will work to keep folks happy. The ports are the same. The islands will look the same no matter what ship you show up on. Be happy that you the ability to enjoy a cruise and spend time with your loved ones. Don't be your own worst enemy.

Carnival are not working that hard at the moment I can assure you. Unable to speak to someone with adequate knowledge and when I do get through they tell me they are the same, they are not.

Please explain why I am my worst enemy.

Agree 100%. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

We do exactly the same in research and choosing a ship, not just for the ports, but the onboard experience.

To those that say be thankful that we can cruise, please understand we are thankful, but we have the right to determine where we spend our money, especially when we travel a long way to do so.

Exactly! If i'm honest it kind of bothers me that there are people saying "why are you complaining? Its still vacation . Just be happy you get to cruise" I dont think that's really fair. Being upset about something like this doesn't we are simply whining. Maybe ill be blessed enough to one day say that ive sailed on many types of ships with many different amenities. At that point I may very well be much more relaxed about it if l've experienced all the differences. It is a wonderful thing to be able to afford this type of trip. Please understand that for some of us its a very tight budget for a year SO we can afford this. So when you've only sailed a couple of times on older ships it's a big deal to get to experience the newer amenities. Is it a deal breaker? No. But being upset about this doesn't make us whiners.

Was scheduled for a 8 day leaving 4/27/15 on the Liberty. The Valor, if you have cruised on a ship with 2.0 upgrades, is a 100% downgrade at the same price as the Liberty. Just talked to my DS and BIL who is sailing with the bride and I. They said anything I wanted to change to they were ok with. With all that being said, we will be changing to the Sunshine's 7 day cruise leaving PC on 5/2/15!

Just curious on the logic of it being 100% downgrade (the non-2.0 ship). Listen I know there is emotion involved in having cruise plans uprooted. 100% downgrade?

I totally get why people are upset. You would think carnival would have this planned out better. I would look at it as a downgrade. I was looking over ships the other day and when I realized there was no guys or blue iguana I moved on. I would not choose a ship without the 2.0 upgrades.

Yes the Valor 3/22/15 7-day cruise has been canceled. A 5 day cruise to Port Canaveral should be available soon. Ask me how I know. I got canceled. Received the cancellation letter from Carnival. No compensation for airfare changes. So we have airfare but no Carnival ship. It's not like we can drive to another port. We will be on an island. Consider yourself lucky you only have a ship swap. It looks like we have a lot more changes and expenses.

Sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy right now. I just feel that our cruise really got the short end of the stick. I know a lot of people are upset about getting a non 2.0 ship, but it could be worse, you could be in our situation.

Sharon

I can understand being a little upset that the choices you worked so hard to make have been changed for you without your input. I would be upset too. I don't think it would last very long for me. I just need a chance to figure things out and know that things will be OK. Now, I DO feel for the people who are on the CANCELED Valor sailing, especially if they have non-refundable airfare. That is an actual loss. I think if I was in their shoes, I would take the money from the canceled cruise and book a condo for a land vacay in PR.

HERE IS WHY WE ARE UPSET:

1. This cruise is the most expensive one out there on Carnival right now. Obviously, the upgrades are PART OF THAT REASON it's so expensive.

2. This cruise has A LOT OF SEA DAYS. Had we been sailing on a ship with the usual one or two sea days, meh, the lack of eaterie choices wouldn't be such a big deal. BUT WE HAVE FOUR SEA DAYS!!!! That's a lot of days to have a few select eateries to chose from.

3. AND YES WE ALLLLL KNOW ITS FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. But we PAID for the first world problems and have a right to them.

I'm holding out hope they do the 2.0 upgrades before spring break. Maybe they will. They don't usually announce dry dock a year earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes the Valor 3/22/15 7-day cruise has been canceled. A 5 day cruise to Port Canaveral should be available soon. Ask me how I know. I got canceled. Received the cancellation letter from Carnival. No compensation for airfare changes. So we have airfare but no Carnival ship. It's not like we can drive to another port. We will be on an island. Consider yourself lucky you only have a ship swap. It looks like we have a lot more changes and expenses.

Sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy right now. I just feel that our cruise really got the short end of the stick. I know a lot of people are upset about getting a non 2.0 ship, but it could be worse, you could be in our situation.

Sharon

As you know, Carnival isn't responsible for how you get to their ship. Carnival doesn't tell people to book a flight 7 months or more ahead of time. That's up to the individuals.

I am sorry but I do not see how its a 100% downgrade!! I have sailed both ships. Liberty first and then Valor and I did not miss the upgrades one time!! The Valor is fine ship!!

As you know, Carnival isn't responsible for how you get to their ship. Carnival doesn't tell people to book a flight 7 months or more ahead of time. That's up to the individuals.

And as you know this happens to be Spring Break and you can't wait to the last minute to book your flight or it will cost you a fortune or even worse may not be available. We only booked our airfare 10 days ago and has already gone up $100.

I know Carnival isn't responsible for how we get to the ship but they are responsible for not having a ship to get to now. It's not like we can drive to another port like in Florida. We are on a bloomin' island.

We have done some research and for about $200 more we are going to be going on the Celebrity Summit. It sails 1 day before the Valor was supposed to sail. All the same ports except instead of St Kitts it goes to Antigua. And since we were coming in a couple days early we can make. Now we just have a extra day after the cruise before the flight home.

Some others are doing the same and some are going on RCCL Adventure of the Seas sailing the same days as the Valor was supposed to. It would cost us $500 more on RCCL than the Valor. But that's OK. We have been wanting to try another line and now Carnival has pushed us into it.

Sharon

Edited by luv2trvlnow

I just got off the phone with Carnival. I am also on the same cruise as Spudder. They are claiming it is a problem with my computer. That something isn't compatible on my computer, that's why I can't see them. It not just March 22, 2015 that is missing. It is everything from March 22 on that's is missing. That would be a really long 1 year drydock.

They can look up and find all those cruises, but they can't reprice them because they are claiming they are SOLD OUT. Really all of them starting with March 22, 2015 is Sold Out!!! Yeah! Right! Just can't be. Has to be a problem on their end not mine. Hopefully they will reappear later.

Sharon

And as you know this happens to be Spring Break and you can't wait to the last minute to book your flight or it will cost you a fortune or even worse may not be available. We only booked our airfare 10 days ago and has already gone up $100.

I know Carnival isn't responsible for how we get to the ship but they are responsible for not having a ship to get to now. It's not like we can drive to another port like in Florida. We are on a bloomin' island.

We have done some research and for about $200 more we are going to be going on the Celebrity Summit. It sails 1 day before the Valor was supposed to sail. All the same ports except instead of St Kitts it goes to Antigua. And since we were coming in a couple days early we can make. Now we just have a extra day after the cruise before the flight home.

Some others are doing the same and some are going on RCCL Adventure of the Seas sailing the same days as the Valor was supposed to. It would cost us $500 more on RCCL than the Valor. But that's OK. We have been wanting to try another line and now Carnival has pushed us into it.

Sharon

My, my. How this has escalated from when you were informed "something wasn't compatible with your computer..."

Edited by Disconnections

A last thing, as I said my mom is going and is handicapped so we have to be near their cabin. Well the only quad they have for us on Deck 11 is not the same cabin we had booked. Its on the opposite side and its the cabin right next to the stairs (we avoid those usually). So not only do I get no guys, no Blue Iquana, no EA sports bar (son loves that) but I get a worse cabin location.

Looking at some other sailings and some RCCL options. Really thought all my "shopping" was over. :rolleyes:

My, my. How this has escalated from when you were informed "something wasn't compatible with your computer..."

Oh Yes. It has been a wild 24 hours. A Carnival customer service representative even told me it was my responsibility to find out how they were going to refund the gift card I used to make a payment on this cruise. She said she didn't know, and it was my problem to figure out. Can you feel the Love? :p:D:eek:

Sharon

Oh Yes. It has been a wild 24 hours. A Carnival customer service representative even told me it was my responsibility to find out how they were going to refund the gift card I used to make a payment on this cruise. She said she didn't know, and it was my problem to figure out. Can you feel the Love? :p:D:eek:

Sharon

I wish you the best of luck getting that resolved. In the mean time, enjoy your cruise with Celebrity.

With the exception of your Bon Voyage Experience and your cruise nearly 20 years ago, it doesn't look like you have ventured out too much recently. I know BVE will allow you to get a feel for the cruise line, however, you may find that you really enjoy your cruise onboard the Celebrity Summit. It never hurts to experience another cruise line and this may end up being a blessing in disguise for you.