Irritated by the Valor/Liberty swap

topspin1267

We are booked for the Liberty April 4 out of Port Canaveral and just got info that they are moving the Valor to Port Canaveral instead. No biggie but..... The Valor does not have the 2.0 upgrades and hasn't been in Dry Dock in awhile and they are offering no compensation for the loss of amenities or inconvenience.

I know they can move ships, change policies, etc based on the ticket contract but I don't feel that a non 2.0 un refurbished ship is an equal experience.

Guess we'll have to think about if we still want to take Carnival that week.

Don't they give you the option to rebook without penalty if you're not happy?

Yes, unfortunately there are very few sailings from Port Canaveral that do Southern itineraries. This is a spring break trip and we chose it because it goes to 2 ports we've never been to, Aruba and Bonaire.

We are booked for the Liberty April 4 out of Port Canaveral and just got info that they are moving the Valor to Port Canaveral instead. No biggie but..... The Valor does not have the 2.0 upgrades and hasn't been in Dry Dock in awhile and they are offering no compensation for the loss of amenities or inconvenience.

I know they can move ships, change policies, etc based on the ticket contract but I don't feel that a non 2.0 un refurbished ship is an equal experience.

Guess we'll have to think about if we still want to take Carnival that week.

It always seems odd to me that carnival continues to announce these changes with ships only 7-9 months out. Most major organizations plan 3 to 5 years in advance for their business. However, until enough people get fed up with this practice and move to another cruise line I guess they figure they can treat their customers this way.

It always seems odd to me that carnival continues to announce these changes with ships only 7-9 months out. Most major organizations plan 3 to 5 years in advance for their business. However, until enough people get fed up with this practice and move to another cruise line I guess they figure they can treat their customers this way.

All cruise lines do this. Royal did it most recently with The Quantum and the Anthem, and they are still being built. Also, I was considering a sailing on Norwegian Pearl for next month. Just last week, they changed the itinerary with a little over a month to go. Glad I didn't book if since the eliminated ports are exactly the reason why I wanted to book that sailing. I would've been livid.

I do feel sorry for those who planned to sail Liberty from Pt Canaveral and are now being forced onto a ship without the 2.0 upgrades. I think it's because Carnival spent so much money remodeling Destiny to Sunshine and the bookings aren't as great as they expected, so if you want the upgrades, you have to sail Sunshine or pay the same for a ship without the upgrades and sail on Valor.

It is all a money maker for Carnival. It doesn't seem likely to me that Carnival is going to upgrade Valor, and I get this impression from theses who said Valor was to be upgraded in 2014, but there are now no plans for that, so those already booked can pay the same for the downgrade to Valor or take one of the options that Carnival offers. I wouldn't be a happy camper with the situation, but what do I know?

All cruise lines do this. Royal did it most recently with The Quantum and the Anthem, and they are still being built. Also, I was considering a sailing on Norwegian Pearl for next month. Just last week, they changed the itinerary with a little over a month to go. Glad I didn't book if since the eliminated ports are exactly the reason why I wanted to book that sailing. I would've been livid.

It does make you wonder the mechanics involved in the decision process and why they cannot be more proactive instead of reactive (planning further out). I would love to hear the"behinds the scenes" of decisions like these. We have had it happen once to us and can totally understand the frustrations involved.

I heard she goes in to dry dock for the 2.0 upgrades sometime this year. Anyone else know about this schedule?

Drydock for Valor was cancelled earlier this year. It has not been rescheduled.

It does make you wonder the mechanics involved in the decision process and why they cannot be more proactive instead of reactive (planning further out). I would love to hear the"behinds the scenes" of decisions like these. We have had it happen once to us and can totally understand the frustrations involved.

I also wonder about this move especially since the Liberty just repositioned to Port Canaveral this past April. :eek:

From what I gathered, the 2.0 upgrades for Valor were postponed/cancelled because they were not necessary at the current time with the port intensive itinerary the ship was on.

The Valor is a great ship. and while it does not have the 2.0 "upgrades" it does have features that the Liberty does not have post 2.0 upgrades, like the full production shows instead of playlist for example. Many on here will tell you that the 2.0 "upgrades" are not upgrades at all. So if you have never been on Valor, I suggest you take your cruise as planned and enjoy the unique features of a new to you ship instead of getting caught up in the lack of what Carnival calls "upgrades".

Getting more and more peeved from what I read about this change. We cannot change dates due to our non refundable flights from the UK to Florida (over $2000).

We paid extra for a specific cabin, yet our cabin as yet to be assigned although others on the same cruise, but based in the US have had theirs reassigned and got the same cabin as they had on Liberty. Why not ours? We chose 'Your Time' dining (or whatever it's called on Carnival) and now that's listed as 'On Request', that's not acceptable.

If we in the UK cancel we lose our deposit (around $450), no small amount.

First time on Carnival and not happy.

Oh and btw I have just 17 days to make up my mind, otherwise Carnival make it for me.

Edited by peteukmcr

I'm on the end that benefits from this change. I just booked the Valor yesterday out of San Juan with my DW for our 10th anniversary cruise in Sept 2015. Today I saw then news on Facebook about the ship swap and when I logged into my account saw that it had been updated with us sailing on the Liberty. Our cabin is exactly the same.

I was on the Dream last year which has some 2.0 upgrades but does not have a Guy's Burger joint. I'm looking forward to being able to try my first Guy's burger.

The Valor is a great ship. and while it does not have the 2.0 "upgrades" it does have features that the Liberty does not have post 2.0 upgrades, like the full production shows instead of playlist for example. Many on here will tell you that the 2.0 "upgrades" are not upgrades at all. So if you have never been on Valor, I suggest you take your cruise as planned and enjoy the unique features of a new to you ship instead of getting caught up in the lack of what Carnival calls "upgrades".

I thought the Liberty had the full production shows?

Getting more and more peeved from what I read about this change. We cannot change dates due to our non refundable flights from the UK to Florida (over $2000).

We paid extra for a specific cabin, yet our cabin as yet to be assigned although others on the same cruise, but based in the US have had theirs reassigned and got the same cabin as they had on Liberty. Why not ours? We chose 'Your Time' dining (or whatever it's called on Carnival) and now that's listed as 'On Request', that's not acceptable.

If we in the UK cancel we lose our deposit (around $450), no small amount.

First time on Carnival and not happy.

Oh and btw I have just 17 days to make up my mind, otherwise Carnival make it for me.

So call them. :)

Where is the LIKE button? Those "upgrades" people worship are not upgrades. Just a few more eateries, bars and a big slide.

I have been on both ships, and really enjoyed both. The valor was a great ship back in 2009...but I'm sure she needs a little sprucing up by now.

We have also sailed the port intensive itinerary from San Juan. I don't understand why they would move the an upgraded ship to a port intensive schedule. Guys burgers and the Blue iguana cantina are only open for lunch - when most people are out enjoying the ports. Makes no sense.

Is Valor built the same as Liberty? Is there smoking on Lido because of not having Guys? Is there stadium seating on Lido?

The Valor & Liberty are sister ships in same class, so will have same layout. Since we were going to be on Valor - did learn they do have a Serenity area, comedy club, Pirate Pizza. The grill is in same place as Guy's so I am sure any smoking policy is universal. IMO 2 cents.

Don't you think I've tried? Guess what, the only number given is a US number, really inexpensive for me in the UK, not!

And then I'm put on hold, not very good customer service.

I'm sure they are swamped. Maybe try in the middle of the night US eastern standard time. I always get good customer service in the off hours. Good luck.