Poll: Do you Like the idea of Dynamic Dining?

Do you like the idea of Dynamic Dining?  

540 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of Dynamic Dining?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided- I will wait until I try it out to decide

Please explain it....

27Aug2014

Royal Caribbean's new way of dining on a cruise ship that is debuting first on its Quantum-class of ships will start spreading to other ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet.

During a Quantum of the Seas media event in Germany, a Royal Caribbean executive announced that Oasis of the Seas will get Dynamic Dining during her upcoming refurbishment.

No other details have been released yet but the idea behind Dynamic Dining is to remove the Main Dining Room and replace it with a combination of complimentary and additional fee specialty restaurants that guests can choose from to dine each night.

Dynamic Dining is a fundamental shift in how Royal Caribbean offers its guests dinner, opting to forgo the formality of a main dining room and make dinner more convenient with no set times and a relaxed dress code.

Oasis of the Seas is scheduled to go to Europe in October 2014 and have her refurbishment shorthly thereafter.

I think it sounds interesting.

We tried MTD out for the first time on our Majesty cruise last weekend. It was so nice to get ready to eat when WE wanted to, not worry about making table mates wait if we decided to do the Windjammer, etc.

I think this is just a larger version of MTD where you have more options of locations and menus.

Seems to me that would really get old if your on a ship for 30+ days.:rolleyes:

Even thinking of the 13 day transatlantic cruises we have been on, we got a different menu each day. Yes, there were a few entrees repeated, but it was mostly different every day. With DD, if you want something other than the 4 menus, you pay. Hmmm - maybe this is their way of transitioning to the NCL model.

Edited by clarea

I am not quite sure exactly how it is supposed to work. MTD did not appeal to me because on our last cruise we would see long lines of people waiting to be seated in that area. I like knowing that my table is ready when I go to dinner and we can just go in and be seated (maybe a little spoiled that way).

If it is an easy reservation system that works and does not take a lot of time and hassle cutting into prime vacation time, I think I will be fine with it.

I would like for there to be an option whereas we can just indicate: schedule us for dinner at 7 pm every evening and just tell us which restaurant to show up at!! As long as a table is ready and we don't have to wait in long lines - that is our criteria.

The *idea* of Dynamic Dining- yes.

As pointed out, the crux of it is MTD, but with 4 menus instead of (num days) menus. If I REALLY like one menu, I can repeat it.

Theoretically, when restaurants do the same menu all the the time, they get really good at it. MOST restaurants keep the same meny all the time, with occasional specials, so this is pretty normal for the consumer.

For US (that would be my wife and I) we always dine as two, regardless of where we eat. So the lack of random table mates isn't a big deal. We mostly got really great wait staff, so that will be kinda missed. BUT, there's no reason we can't repeat dining.

In terms of actual execution, we'll see. But instead of loathing the new idea, we are looking forward to it.

I just really wish Royal made the menus differently so people on here could stop complaining about "Static Menus". They should have just put 4-6 entrees on each Menu and rotated them instead of putting 20 entrees on a single menu for each venue. I bet if people counted all the entrees from each of the 4-5 complimentary restaurants, it would meet or exceed the amount on the current rotated MDR menu.

In theory, the concept is sound - if you find something you love, you can have it more than once during the course of a vacation, that's always a good thing.

My concern is implementation. I don't want, for example, to have to book my dinner time a year in advance of my vacation. It's a little different with the MDR, because the menu is what it is. But with DD, you have to know what restaurant you're going to want to eat in and what time you want to eat long before you set foot on the ship - or you're waiting in a line for the "next available" space at the restaurant you want to eat at, and your only other choice is WJ. And if you DON'T book soon enough, your options are 5:30pm or 9:30pm.

So, essentially, reserving judgment to see how it plays out.

I just really wish Royal made the menus differently so people on here could stop complaining about "Static Menus". They should have just put 4-6 entrees on each Menu and rotated them instead of putting 20 entrees on a single menu for each venue. I bet if people counted all the entrees from each of the 4-5 complimentary restaurants, it would meet or exceed the amount on the current rotated MDR menu.
WE will see how the folks on the Repo cruise to China like DD. After 50+ days if they still like the idea maybe it's ok.

As someone who hasn't been in the MDR at all on his last five cruises, I LOVE the idea of Dynamic Dining. My biggest hope is that with the increase in NUMBER of venues, and thereby a commensurate decrease in the VOLUME served at each venue, the quality will improve. As the ships got bigger and bigger, the MDR undeniably drifted more and more away from restaurant quality to banquet quality. That is one of the biggest appeals of the specialty restaurants, the potential for higher quality, made-to-order meals.

I hope Dynamic Dining accomplishes this as well.