Benefits of Gold status

jasbo49

Greetings all. Having completed one whole Princess cruise, I guess we're officially Gold for our upcoming back-to-back getaways. Other than the great price we got on the 4-day cruise, I'm having trouble discerning any real benefits to Gold status. Wondering if someone can point out something I'm missing.

I've read the benefits on the Princess website, so I'm not asking what they are, just whether any of them are a bigger deal than they seem to me. The Gold pin and passport and stamps ... well, they aren't really going to change our lives. There's mention of a quarterly magazine. That might be interesting, but it seems to me I should already be getting that. I get lots of mailings from them but nothing like a magazine.

"Members only onboard events" could be worthwhile, but I can't really tell what that means. Is there a party or something?

Anyhow, I'm not saying we deserve anything more that a great price and a Gold pin, but I'm just curious if there are other real benefits. After these two, we'll be Ruby and again I don't see much, but if we take two more and achieve Platinum, I see some real goodies, including Internet time. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Welcome t your second princess cruise. No there are no benefits at all apart from Captains circle do where u will get a voucher for a free drink...use it to the max lol. Also when u reach ruby in USA u get more than us in uk....u get 10%of the cruise DVD .....roll on platinum :)

Depending on the length of the voyage, there may be a Captain's Circle party one evening with free drinks and hors d'ouvres. If not, there's a voucher for a free drink somewhere else on the ship. It's not much of a party, mostly an extended advertisement for more cruises. When we were Gold, we won the drawing for a free bottle of champagne, but that was so long ago, I don't know if they still have a drawing.

Depending on the length of the voyage, there may be a Captain's Circle party one evening with free drinks and hors d'ouvres. If not, there's a voucher for a free drink somewhere else on the ship. It's not much of a party, mostly an extended advertisement for more cruises. When we were Gold, we won the drawing for a free bottle of champagne, but that was so long ago, I don't know if they still have a drawing.

On our ten day in March there was a drawing for champagne and another for Elite status for the remainder of the cruise. Everyone received a drink voucher.

Edited by SadieN

They still have the drawing for a few bottles of champagne at the Captains Circle party--when they have them. I think they're on cruises that last 5 days or longer. At least we had one on our Ruby Princess cruise that was 5 days and did not have them on our 4-day cruises, receiving the vouchers on those instead.

You're right that the Gold level doesn't offer much of in terms of benefits. The Ruby level does with the ability to buy the Platinum insurance at the regular price. The Platinum level is where the real benefits start--the free Internet minutes, preferred check-in, and the Platinum/Elite/Suite event most evenings.

But the big benefit is........ (drum roll please)........ the gold cruise card and gold name tag on the mailbox. Woo-Hoo! :cool:

Other than a great big "Congratulations" the main benefit of being "Gold" is that you are on you way to "Ruby", "Platinum" and there must be something after that. :rolleyes: However, we will never get there unless we cruise when we can make a booking from our caskets! :p

Sometimes I wonder how deep the oceans would be without sponges? :eek:

After we embarked for our Coastal Cruise, we were pleasantly surprised to find a nice floral arrangement in our cabin.
Do you know why it was there? Could it have been from your travel agent or someone? I've never heard of Princess giving these away except for when people reach milestone cruises--50th, 75th, etc.

Greetings all. Having completed one whole Princess cruise, I guess we're officially Gold for our upcoming back-to-back getaways. Other than the great price we got on the 4-day cruise, I'm having trouble discerning any real benefits to Gold status. Wondering if someone can point out something I'm missing.

I've read the benefits on the Princess website, so I'm not asking what they are, just whether any of them are a bigger deal than they seem to me. The Gold pin and passport and stamps ... well, they aren't really going to change our lives. There's mention of a quarterly magazine. That might be interesting, but it seems to me I should already be getting that. I get lots of mailings from them but nothing like a magazine.

"Members only onboard events" could be worthwhile, but I can't really tell what that means. Is there a party or something?

Anyhow, I'm not saying we deserve anything more that a great price and a Gold pin, but I'm just curious if there are other real benefits. After these two, we'll be Ruby and again I don't see much, but if we take two more and achieve Platinum, I see some real goodies, including Internet time. Thanks in advance.

Jim

As I recall you do get the repeat cruiser rate reduction on future voyages.

Do you know why it was there? Could it have been from your travel agent or someone? I've never heard of Princess giving these away except for when people reach milestone cruises--50th, 75th, etc.

My sister looked at the card that came with it and said that it was from Princess.