Withheld info by travel agent

DH and I have been avid cruisers for more than 20 years, and we've learned a lot from the advice of others on these blogs. So I would like to "pay it forward" with some info and advice from a recent experience with a well-known travel agency. I know it is against the rules to mention the precise name of the agency so I won't do that. I will, however, suggest that if you are ever tempted by one of the "incentive" promotions that CO advertises, be very leary and make sure you know ALL the facts.

We normally book directly through the cruise line, but recently this TA offered reduced deposits and OBC for a 5-day cruise, so I booked 4 cabins with them for our upcoming family vacation. About a month after making our deposit, I found a better deal through Celebrity for a 7-day cruise and called the TA to cancel my reservation with them, only to be told that I would not receive my deposit back and that they would be charging me a fee to cancel. This was never mentioned in the initial reservation process, and, as much as I tried to convince them of this, they were not gracious at all. So, suffice it to say, I will never again use this particular travel agency and, if I could say their name, I would love to encourage all of you to stay away from them.

I don't usually complain very much and always enjoy every cruise we have been on, regardless of the cruise line, but this was one time that I was very upset and wanted to mention it to any of you who might randomly choose a TA based upon the so-called incentive deals they have.

Terry from Georgia

Dispute with your credit card company. If witholding your deposit for a cancellation was not in their terms and conditions when you booked you will get your $$ back.

Starting to hate dealing with TA's. Dealing with lines directly isn't better anymore either it seems. Just getting burnt out on forking over money and not getting what was advertised, everyone is just trying to rip everyone else off these days. Sorry for your frustration, I hope it gets resolved in your favor:mad:

Sorry to hear this happened. Hope you get it worked out.

We have been using the same online TA for many years, and their terms and conditions are clearly displayed on their website during the booking process, and as soon as we receive our booking conformation, it is also printed there. We once cancelled a cruise and replaced it with another and they charged us a $35 fee, which was clearly written in their terms and conditions, and we had no problem paying it. We were still outside the final payment date, so they refunded us the deposit for the original cruise, and then we put down another deposit on the new cruise.

If it was me, I would probably file a claim with the Federal Trade Commission, after giving the TA a chance to make things right.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

Some TA's don't say up front that there is a cancellation fee. They will make the booking and take the deposit. Then they give you or email a form for your signature disclosing the cancellation and other fees. Then if cancel they collect the cancellation fee.

Some agency charge cancellation fees. I do not like it, and, unless it is a special deal, I tend to avoid those agencies. fortunately, the cancellation fees have been disclosed to me, though I do not know if it was volunteered or if I knew to ask about the fee. past the cancellation fee, not getting the deposit back surprises me.

I am considering booking a cruise through my well known car insurance agency.... but now I am unsure if I should do so. Perhaps I should just do it through the cruise's direct site.

You just have to be a wise consumer and ask questions before you "sign on the dotted line".

I wasn't able to edit my previous post, but the online TA that we use charges a cancellation fee if you don't rebook another cruise within 30 days. Again, that is all clearly printed in their Terms & Conditions.

DH and I have been avid cruisers for more than 20 years, and we've learned a lot from the advice of others on these blogs. So I would like to "pay it forward" with some info and advice from a recent experience with a well-known travel agency. I know it is against the rules to mention the precise name of the agency so I won't do that. I will, however, suggest that if you are ever tempted by one of the "incentive" promotions that CO advertises, be very leary and make sure you know ALL the facts.

We normally book directly through the cruise line, but recently this TA offered reduced deposits and OBC for a 5-day cruise, so I booked 4 cabins with them for our upcoming family vacation. About a month after making our deposit, I found a better deal through Celebrity for a 7-day cruise and called the TA to cancel my reservation with them, only to be told that I would not receive my deposit back and that they would be charging me a fee to cancel. This was never mentioned in the initial reservation process, and, as much as I tried to convince them of this, they were not gracious at all. So, suffice it to say, I will never again use this particular travel agency and, if I could say their name, I would love to encourage all of you to stay away from them.

I don't usually complain very much and always enjoy every cruise we have been on, regardless of the cruise line, but this was one time that I was very upset and wanted to mention it to any of you who might randomly choose a TA based upon the so-called incentive deals they have.

Terry from Georgia

When you found the better deal, did you ask the TA if you could replace the Celebrity cruise with the one you previously had booked?

I am considering booking a cruise through my well known car insurance agency.... but now I am unsure if I should do so. Perhaps I should just do it through the cruise's direct site.

Just call and ask them their cancel and change policy.

Recently I have been having second thoughts about my long time TA and was thinking of trying someone else. A friend told me that her TA (an internet base TA) was great and gave her tons of onboard credits and perks. So I contacted this TA by email to transfer my booking to her. She insisted that she could would only tell me on the phone what her prices, perks and conditions were, and she wouldn't put anything in writing until AFTER I transferred the booking to her?!?!? I asked her why and she said it was because she didn't want me to take that information and go shopping with it. Whatever!!

My old TA always gives me her prices and perks before I book and has never charged me for changes or cancellations....so I figured I would stick with what I know even if she has communication problems at times.

I had a similar experience with an on-line travel agent. I had booked a cruise about a year in advance when they had a $0 deposit promotion going on. After a few months realized it wasn't going to work out so I called to cancel, well before cancellation period and was told they charge $100 cancellation fee--this was in addition to the $25 booking fee. So they told me I'd have to pay the $25 booking fee plus the $100 cancellation fee to cancel a cruise that I had not put any money on.

I ended up getting out of it though in a round-about way. I decided not to cancel, figuring things might change and our plans might eventually work out, and wasn't really out anything since I had paid no deposit. But, in the meantime I had lost my credit card, so I called my card company and got a new one. Realized not too long afterwards that the old credit card number that the TA had was no longer valid, and by the time final payment was due it definitely would not work. When it came time for final payment for the cruise, I just ignored their messages asking for a new credit card number. They said if I didn't provide a new number, my booking would be cancelled. Viola! They had to cancel it and had no credit card number to charge the $100 fee to, so it all worked out.

Edited by cruise_blog

A lot of TAs have cancellation fees, but this is the first time I've heard of a TA refusing to refund the cruise line deposit. Were you entitled to it based on RCI's cancellation schedule? Did RCI collect the deposit from your credit card (standard practice) or from the TA (irregular practice)?

It may turn out that the agency's fee is owed, depending on fine print in paperwork, on website, etc. But the whole business about the deposit sounds fishy....

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Recently I have been having second thoughts about my long time TA and was thinking of trying someone else. A friend told me that her TA (an internet base TA) was great and gave her tons of onboard credits and perks. So I contacted this TA by email to transfer my booking to her. She insisted that she could would only tell me on the phone what her prices, perks and conditions were, and she wouldn't put anything in writing until AFTER I transferred the booking to her?!?!? I asked her why and she said it was because she didn't want me to take that information and go shopping with it. Whatever!!

My old TA always gives me her prices and perks before I book and has never charged me for changes or cancellations....so I figured I would stick with what I know even if she has communication problems at times.

That would have sent up the BS flag for me too. :)

I know we are not allowed to mention TA's but in situations like this it would be nice to be able to keep an eye out...but without knowing who we are talking about....it makes no sense.

I believe this media is here to help us out....and without knowing who the scammers are does not help at all.

Just my 2 cents!

Dispute with your credit card company. If witholding your deposit for a cancellation was not in their terms and conditions when you booked you will get your $$ back.

Starting to hate dealing with TA's. Dealing with lines directly isn't better anymore either it seems. Just getting burnt out on forking over money and not getting what was advertised, everyone is just trying to rip everyone else off these days. Sorry for your frustration, I hope it gets resolved in your favor:mad:

Yeah I agree credit card company should deal with that for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know we are not allowed to mention TA's but in situations like this it would be nice to be able to keep an eye out...but without knowing who we are talking about....it makes no sense.

I believe this media is here to help us out....and without knowing who the scammers are does not help at all.

Just my 2 cents!

I agree, however I'm still glad they don't allow TA names under any circumstances. Could you imagine what these boards would look like if "Look out for (TA)" or "(TA) screwed me" was the type of title for nearly every post.

I do wish the boards had a specific board for TA info. Limit TA names etc to that one board and let it go wild.

I agree, however I'm still glad they don't allow TA names under any circumstances. Could you imagine what these boards would look like if "Look out for (TA)" or "(TA) screwed me" was the type of title for nearly every post.

I do wish the boards had a specific board for TA info. Limit TA names etc to that one board and let it go wild.

Where's the like button??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big TA was recently recommended to us. During my call to the TA , the pre final date/ deposit cancellation policy is always my first question. The agent told us they "hold" any deposit for a cancelled cruise till the next cruise. They do this as a "courtesy" for their customers. He made it sound like it was a perk.

No thank you. If I cancel a cruise prior to final payment, I want my deposit back.

M

Their are several cruising boards where this type of information is allowed.

We just booked a cruise for 12/2015 a few days ago with a major online cruise site. You probably used the one I did. I'm sorry your rep wasn't up front with you.

The terms of the contract clearly state "If cancellation/rebooking occurs, a fee of $100 will be applied plus $24.99 processing fee." The TA was up front with me and told me about this even before I had the chance to ask. For us the $50 pp deposit was worth it. TA assured us that the $100 can be used for another cruise. Glad she was upfront with us. I would have shopped around but I was able to grab the much coveted Ben & Jerry's "Sweet".

In the future, I probably will seek out a TA that doesn't charge a cancellation fee.

As others have said.. ask before you make any payment.

This thread caused me to check my long time TA on the Better Business Bureau. Glad to see they have an A+ rating with 0 complaints listed.

When it comes to Royal, I think it is better to use a TA, but it is important to research and ask the right questions. Thankful for a CC member who shared this process with me at our meet and mingle years ago...

So, ask other CC members at the meet and mingle on your next cruise :)

I agree also.

We have always only used a TA.

It would be nice to hear both the good and bad experiences others have.

Without being to vicous.

Nice Idea

Thanks for posting.

Sea Ya