Questions from a Newbie to "O"

chrismch

After cruising on other mainline cruise companies, I'd like some advance info for a Caribbean cruise scheduled in January.

1. Standards in all rooms: slippers, robe, umbrella, binoculars?

2. Are port day spa treatments discounted? What would you consider the best value in a spa treatment?

3. Specialty restaurants is it possible to book "day of "on the cruise? Or are they already fully booked by boarding?

4. What are your favorite "must have" foods on board? What foods look good, but can be skipped for not worth the calories?

5. What are things to do or see on a ship that a newbie might not be aware of?

6. Do included no-cost beverages cover San Pellegrino and Vitamin Water?

Edited by chrismch

After cruising on other mainline cruise companies, I'd like some advance info for a Caribbean cruise scheduled in January.

1. Standards in all rooms: slippers, robe, umbrella, binoculars? No binoculars in all cabins

2. Are port day spa treatments discounted? yes they have specials

3. Specialty restaurants is it possible to book "day of "on the cruise? Or are they already fully booked by boarding? you will find limited availability but you can still book them

4. What are your favorite "must have" foods on board? What foods look good, but can be skipped for not worth the calories? none can be skipped ;)

5. What are things to do or see on a ship that a newbie might not be aware of? Culinary classes on the O class ships

I think they had vitamin water in the gym but do not quote me

If you use the search function you may find other answers to your questions

I have seen binoculars in the very top suites ... not lower down. (By "top" I mean OC, VS and OS on the "O" ships and VS and OS on the "R" ships.)

As to specialty waters, you're talking about small ships (686 or 1250 passengers). They can't stock everything. But you can always ASK to have them stocked.

We are not "spa" people but we have seen specials on port days. You may not be able to assume that they will always be available on the port day you want. It depends on itinerary and how many port days/sea days you have. Read the "Currents" to see what can be head.

It's impossible to ask which foods must be ordered because we have lots of differing stomachs! For example, on the "O" ships many people love the Red Ginger offerings but we personally don't care for them. OTOH, I love the mussels in "Jacques" but you need to order them early in the cruise.

Waves is good for various 'burgers, not to mention surf & turf offerings, and I personally adore the smoothies. You'll have to decide for yourself.

The specialty restaurants are not sold out "online" but if you can, booking online is advised. Space is reserved for people who don't do computers, but you're safer booking ahead. Bear in mind that some passengers only want to eat in the specialty restaurants and others (like us) aren't that concerned. It's hard to know from cruise to cruise what kind of demand will exist for the specialty restaurants. And of course on the "R" ships, there are only two to choose from whereas the "O" ships have four.

(Lyn is so much briefer than I am ... alas!)

If you are only two people and want to dine alone, by all means book as early as you can. If you want to share a table with others (not strangers but people you already know), that can be a little more difficult.

We like to share and sometimes we arrange ahead of times that we've met on the roll call to share a meal, other time we just say "share" and we meet strangers. We've never had a difficult dinner doing the latter.

We, however, prefer to share.

Mura

They definitely have Pellegrino - my wife inhales that when she isn't drinking champagne :)

Do all cabins have umbrellas?

I believe they do

all the ones we have been in had them

They are also available at the gangway

I prefer a rain jacket with a hood for those wet days ..less chance of being Mary Poppins ;)

Edited by LHT28

Despite the availability of those big umbrellas in the room, we prefer to bring mini-umbrellas that we can back easily in a backpack or an Oceania tote. Those big ones can be cumbersome -- although in a real rainstorm they can be very practical! I had a friend in college who preferred small umbrellas because she didn't want to feel obliged to "share". At the time I thought she was unreasonable ... now, not so much! My husband is shorter than I am and if he's carrying the umbrella it often seems like he wants to decapitate me. So I like the small umbrella option.

Plus, they don't take up nearly as much room. From O's standpoint, giving you a huge umbrella to use means you probably won't try to take it home with you ...

Mura

Edited by Mura
Posted too soon

Well, Jim, I still claim to be 22 although no one would ever believe it these days!

I didn't have backpacks when I was a student (boy, could I have used them with all the books I was lugging around in high school) but I DO use them now!

I got this wonderful deerskin backpack in Perce, Quebec a few years ago ... so beautiful ... and backpacks ARE convenient on a cruise tour!

Howard, on the other hand, uses a tote of some sort or another ...

Mura

So I like the small umbrella option.

Plus, they don't take up nearly as much room. From O's standpoint, giving you a huge umbrella to use means you probably won't try to take it home with you ...

Mura

+ 1 However, keep those backpacks out of the aisles when walking in an airplane. As early boarders on planes can't say how often one of those dreadful things has hit us in the face.

Edited by orchestrapal

+ 1 However, keep those backpacks out of the aisles when walking in an airplane. As early boarders on planes can't say how often one of those dreadful things has hit us in the face.

I'm sorry, but this just begs the question-

Would you be crawling around in the aisles of said airplane; or are these backpacks of the infamous floating about the cabin variety?? :confused: ??

I'm flummoxed as to how else a "backpack in the aisle" could possibly "hit one in the face".

Derek%20Fowlds%20%20

OMG, it has finally happened, I've become Bernard from Yes Minister :p

Edited by StanandJim

I'm sorry, but this just begs the question-

Would you be crawling around in the aisles of said airplane; or are these backpacks of the infamous floating about the cabin variety?? :confused: ??

I'm flummoxed as to how else a "backpack in the aisle" could possibly "hit one in the face".

Derek%20Fowlds%20%20

OMG, it has finally happened, I've become Bernard from Yes Minister :p

Bernard,

If you board first and sit in an aisle seat the inconsiderate folks with backpacks

Swing them toward you as they walk by. Those with heavy shoulder bags do the

same. Many folks are considerate and carry their bags in front of them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just off the Marina 12 day Baltic cruise.

Yes, robes and slippers in every cabin. One large golf umbrella in each cabin- we used only 1 day when we had rain- but if windy, it does not have wind vents- and with the big "O" trademark on it. Always carried a small compact umbrella in a backpack for showers, plus hooded windbreaker jackets. Binoculars not available in PH and below.

Made our specialty restaurant reservations on line- targeted sea nights in the advance reservations. But were able to get additional reservations for all specialties on the cruise, especially the nights we were in port- the additional were tables for 4 or 6. Was extremely satisfied with all of the food served in all of the restaurants- quality and served HOT! Often tried multiple appetizers for the flavors and in Toscana you could get an appetizer portion of pasta. Polo and Toscana also have the quintet dessert tasters. Try it all - you will not be unhappy with the food.

Although, I did prefer the rack of lamb served in the specialties vs. Terrace- in the latter I thought the "lollipops" were too thin compared to the large rack sections served elsewhere where you could get medium rare to rare doneness and cut this portion down the middle to have a nice chop seared on one side, and red on the other. Yes, you could get medium rare to rare doneness on all meats on this cruise. We don't get very much veal in the NW, so veal was special for us- especially the veal chop in Polo- 12 ounces of meat with a 12 inch rib bone- a very impressive presentation on a rectangular plate-rivaled the veal chops I've had in NY, Dallas and Chicago restaurants (I know, heresy to some of you on this board). So...with veal and lamb everywhere, we didn't do too much beef but what I saw others eating, it looked great. And... lobster, prawns and fish are also available everywhere and done perfectly.

Just off the Marina 12 day Baltic cruise.

Yes, robes and slippers in every cabin. One large golf umbrella in each cabin- we used only 1 day when we had rain- but if windy, it does not have wind vents- and with the big "O" trademark on it. Always carried a small compact umbrella in a backpack for showers, plus hooded windbreaker jackets. Binoculars not available in PH and below.

Made our specialty restaurant reservations on line- targeted sea nights in the advance reservations. But were able to get additional reservations for all specialties on the cruise, especially the nights we were in port- the additional were tables for 4 or 6. Was extremely satisfied with all of the food served in all of the restaurants- quality and served HOT! Often tried multiple appetizers for the flavors and in Toscana you could get an appetizer portion of pasta. Polo and Toscana also have the quintet dessert tasters. Try it all - you will not be unhappy with the food.

Although, I did prefer the rack of lamb served in the specialties vs. Terrace- in the latter I thought the "lollipops" were too thin compared to the large rack sections served elsewhere where you could get medium rare to rare doneness and cut this portion down the middle to have a nice chop seared on one side, and red on the other. Yes, you could get medium rare to rare doneness on all meats on this cruise. We don't get very much veal in the NW, so veal was special for us- especially the veal chop in Polo- 12 ounces of meat with a 12 inch rib bone- a very impressive presentation on a rectangular plate-rivaled the veal chops I've had in NY, Dallas and Chicago restaurants (I know, heresy to some of you on this board). So...with veal and lamb everywhere, we didn't do too much beef but what I saw others eating, it looked great. And... lobster, prawns and fish are also available everywhere and done perfectly.

Thank you sor sharing!