San Francisco in February

Kiwi_cruiser

We are looking at possibly doing a cruise from San Francisco, USA to Auckland, New Zealand on Cunard.

I have never been to San Francisco before, and I was wondering what is the weather like normally in San Francisco in February??? :confused:

I guess going by what I have seen on TV, its going to be cool to cold there??.

An Internet search of the weather sites will give you the solid numbers. But February is a transition month as we go from Winter to Spring. It is never truly cold (by my definition, don't know yours) in SF any time of the year, and definitely not in February. I would expect high temps in the 50 to 60s, (lows in 50s, maybe a rare 40s)perhaps a couple of 70s. It can be wet to very wet. Or, as we have been in a very severe drought, no rain at all.

I come from Southern California...but spend a lot of time in San Francisco and the Bay Area (Two daughters and a brother up there and my employer for 23 years was headquartered in Oakland)...SO...it ALWAYS feels cold to me in San Francisco (So Cal is always several degrees warmer and far less rain or fog)...

But, it's never cold as in down jackets and mittens cold...It never snows...

You can usually get away, in February, with long pants, sweat shirt and a windbreaker or light jacket...

It definitely could rain a little...so be prepared for that. At worst, you'd be pleasantly surprised and not get rained on.

Definitely plan on at least a few days in San Francisco and surrounds. The City is magnificent...but it's also worth taking a day or two to venture across the Golden Gate to visit the Wine Country of the Napa and Sonoma Valleys and go see the Giant Redwoods in Muir Woods...

In the City, try to find a nice hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area..this will put you near a lot of touristy shopping, walking areas, restaurants and attractions such as the Alcatraz and Harbor Boat Tours, the end of the Cable Car line, Pier 39, the Wharf ...as well as very close to the Cruise Ship Pier...

Do not rent a car in the City--streets are difficult, parking impossible. Taxis are reasonable and easy to find...even public buses are good...Tour companies run all sorts of tours out of the Wharf area as well...

Have fun...

We are looking at possibly doing a cruise from San Francisco, USA to Auckland, New Zealand on Cunard.

I have never been to San Francisco before, and I was wondering what is the weather like normally in San Francisco in February??? :confused:

I guess going by what I have seen on TV, its going to be cool to cold there??.

San Francisco can be mixed. In SF City (proper) it us usally a bit chilly. A medium to light jacket required. Go south an hour and you could be needing sunscreen. The hills in Marin are usually windy.