Does Princess have an up sell policy?

Reximus

It seems to be a great mystery, does anyone know if Princess has a up sell policy? If so what is it!

Yes, they definitely do have an up sell policy but I don't really know what it is in terms of "policy". I was offered an up sell on a cruise a few years ago and took it--not sure how they decide what cabins to up sell and to who in what order and at what price, to be honest. I suspect it depends on what it still available and on that particular cruise that we were offered an up sell, there were still quite a few suites available. We were in the highest category mini suite and were offered an up sell. I recall that it was time sensitive and that the first person that responded got the first choice, and so on. Keep hoping for more up sell offers but haven't received one yet--guess the cruises I've been on since have all been sold out!

Thank you for the information! It does make sense. I have sailed with Princess many times and also wondered if priority is given to Elite passengers that are sailing in the category below the up sell category?

Rex

Thank you for the information! It does make sense. I have sailed with Princess many times and also wondered if priority is given to Elite passengers that are sailing in the category below the up sell category?

Rex

No, priority isn't given to elites. If Princess needs your cabin, then you will either get a free upgrade or an upsell.

Rex

Priority is given to new passengers in order to hook em and reel em in. :(

Priority is given to new passengers in order to hook em and reel em in. :(

I really can't agree with this. I had been on 9 cruises with Princess before being offered an upsell on a cruise to Hawaii. It was for a window suite an we accepted and enjoyed.

I think it is great to hear that people are being offered up sells and they have taken advantage of the offer. I would just like it to be more transparent so all passengers can see and understand the policy.

Rex

Colo Cruiser is right: there is no policy. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the cruise. The trend seems to be that if there are unsold suites close to sailing, people in mini-suites are offered the upsell because (and I'm just guessing here) a mini-suite is easier to sell at the last minute than a suite. But I've also heard of people in inside cabins or an oceanview being offered an upsell to a balcony. The objective is for the ship to sail full; but the strategies to achieve this are deep dark Princess secrets.

I've sailed with Princess since 1974 and I just got my first upgrade and upsell this year--go figure.

There is no written upsell policy that is available for viewing that I am aware. They probably have an upsell policy as part of their marketing plan to maximize revenue. I've been offered upsells in my last two cruises, but both cruises have been way less than 100% full so there were alot of cabins to upsell. Who they pick to upsell is a mystery. I suspect that because we usually book oceanview, but sailed in balconies numerous times that we would be good candidates for upsells.

Hi,

I have been on 12 Princess cruises and received an upsell offer one time. Prior to our Mediterranean cruise on the Regal Princess in June 2014, we were booked in a standard balcony stateroom and offered a mini-suite for a small additional charge. We accepted the offer and greatly enjoyed the mini-suite. I am guessing that this varies by cruise and the staterooms that are available.

Chuck

Colo Cruiser is right: there is no policy. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the cruise. The trend seems to be that if there are unsold suites close to sailing, people in mini-suites are offered the upsell because (and I'm just guessing here) a mini-suite is easier to sell at the last minute than a suite. But I've also heard of people in inside cabins or an oceanview being offered an upsell to a balcony. The objective is for the ship to sail full; but the strategies to achieve this are deep dark Princess secrets.

I've sailed with Princess since 1974 and I just got my first upgrade and upsell this year--go figure.

Exactly.......

And an oversold category plays into it as well.

We were just upgraded from a aft balcony to a midship balcony cabin for our Norway cruise next June.This will be our 2nd Princess cruise and we were also offered a upgrade last June which we turned down.I think we were given a upgrade because it is easier to sell the less expensive balconies.We took the upgrade this time which moved us from aft to midship.:D

I guess the point is if princess had a policy that was made public there would be no mystery to the up selling. But as it is now we all are in the dark when it comes to how princess decides who it offers the up sells.

Rex

We were just upgraded from a aft balcony to a midship balcony cabin for our Norway cruise next June.This will be our 2nd Princess cruise and we were also offered a upgrade last June which we turned down.I think we were given a upgrade because it is easier to sell the less expensive balconies.We took the upgrade this time which moved us from aft to midship.:D

Most upgrades are given because they need the cabin you are in for gty's etc.

I don't know if it was an "upsell" or not, but I had my TA call Princess today (we sail on Saturday...4 days away) and ask about moving from an inside cabin to an obstructed ocean view for as little as possible (free if it could be done). Princess came back with an offer of $120 per person to upgrade from inside category IB - Aloha deck (Caribbean Princess) to an obstructed ocean view category OW - Emerald deck for a 14 day cruise. Seemed like a good deal, so we took it. It would have been better to get some OBC, but beggars can't always be choosers.

Moral of the story, sometimes you can arrange an upgrade for yourself at very little added cost depending on how close to sailing you are, what the inventory of unsold "upsell" cabins is like, and what the demand for the category of cabin you currently hold is like. It isn't necessary to wait for Princess to contact you. Squeaky wheel and all that gibberish ....

C.

Why give away free upgrades if passengers jump at the chance to pay for what otherwise would have been free.

Upgrades are usually targeted at either relatively new cruisers to Princess to entice them them to book higher catergories of cabin in the future or they simply need the cabin for gurantees or they need a cabin in your catergory for sale because it is sold out and higher catergories are not selling. I use to get upgrades when I first started sailing Princess, but now it is just upsells if I'm lucky.:(

We are booked on the Hawaii 15 day cruise from L.A. in December and originally got the lowest balcony category. We were then upgraded to superior balcony on Caribe deck (larger balconies), which at a time was the same price as mini suite. When my TA called Princess and asked if they can make a substitute, they wanted us to pay additional fee for the full price difference between our original and current mini suite. Not an upsell in a sense we want to see it. At this point in time minis are almost sold out and there are still plenty of balconies. So, no hope for upgrade or upsell.

Never say never. There is all kinds of maneuvering going on in the last couple of months. The last two cruises I was on suites were not sold out and I got upsell offers both times--and made two very desirable minis available to someone else.

You just never know.

Upsell offers do happen, but they aren't as common on Princess as some other cruise lines. Perhaps it's because Princess so graciously still gives many complimentary upgrades. My upsell offer was targeted at past passengers only. My category was not sold out, so I think they saw an upsell as a chance to make some extra money while blessing loyal pax. Each upsell offer is different, though, depending on why it's being offered.

• 1 month later...

I have back to back cruises on the Regal in November. I was offered an upsell from Obstruced deluxe balcony to premium mini suite for the first 3days so I took it. I just took the chance that I would be offered the same cabin for the 7 days. I just received an email with the second upsell and have taken it. I am platinum for the first time on this cruise and this is the first time I have had an offer.:)

We had an upsell offer on Monday (just two says ago). We were in a mini suite, and we're given the opportunity for an upsell to a suite. We had a choice between a penthouse suite, S-4 or owners suite, S-2. We chose the S-2.

Email stated that it was being offered to Captain Circle Members, which are previous cruisers ( for those not familiar with Princess terminology), who were booked in a mini suite. in other words, not just elite members.