Is my cruise sold out?

katrn09

We are sailing in just 5 days (so excited!) but have no room number yet. We are on the Grand Princess in an ocean view obstructed Inside Passage Alaska Sept 7. Reading the boards I see that this might mean a chance for an upgrade if they have unsold suites and balconies and start moving people up one category at a time. I was wondering how I can tell if the cruise is sold out? For weeks now the Princess website hasn't been showing any prices/rooms available, but then I wonder why I don't have a cabin yet. It's making it difficult to plan, as we don't know which group to arrive with at the pier for the staggered boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to your first post on Cruise Critic.

Worrying about staggered boarding isn't necessary. Since you don't yet have an assignment, just show up when you want to.

You can get an assignment as late as showing up at the dock. Staggered boarding in most cases is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Although we have priority embarkation, it is our practice to show up later during the boarding process, avoiding the long lines altogether.

Good luck with an upgrade and have a great cruise!

Edited by beg3yrs

We are sailing in just 5 days (so excited!) but have no room number yet. We are on the Grand Princess in an ocean view obstructed Inside Passage Alaska Sept 7. Reading the boards I see that this might mean a chance for an upgrade if they have unsold suites and balconies and start moving people up one category at a time. I was wondering how I can tell if the cruise is sold out? For weeks now the Princess website hasn't been showing any prices/rooms available, but then I wonder why I don't have a cabin yet. It's making it difficult to plan, as we don't know which group to arrive with at the pier for the staggered boarding.

My guess would be yes, it is sold out this close to the sailing date. As far as getting your cabin assigned, there is a possiblity that you could be assigned as late as when you check in at the pier.

Regarding the staggered boarding, that is more of a suggestion than a requirement. You can show up at any time after they open the terminal and get checked in.

Have fun on your cruise!

There is no way to tell that the cruise is completely sold out. Princess is shuffling people and cabins right up to a couple of days before sailing.

Some cabins are not viewable to the public and are held by Princess. You will just have to wait and see.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It looks like it's sold out. What may be happening is that Princess is hoping some people won't be able to take this cruise. They may have started sending out move-over offers to get people to take a different cruise. Don't worry. If you don't have a cabin assignment now, you will eventually get one.

There is no way to tell that the cruise is completely sold out. Princess is shuffling people and cabins right up to a couple of days before sailing.

Some cabins are not viewable to the public and are held by Princess. You will just have to wait and see.

Yes, this is true. The information on the public web site is not the information available to Princess itself. There will doubtless be many changes in the final configuration right up to the day of boarding. There may be a bunch of open balconies, etc., but you can't access that information.

It looks like it's sold out. What may be happening is that Princess is hoping some people won't be able to take this cruise. They may have started sending out move-over offers to get people to take a different cruise. Don't worry. If you don't have a cabin assignment now, you will eventually get one.

This sounds similar to the airlines over selling flights. I had no idea cruise ships do this as well.

Welcome to your first post on Cruise Critic.

Worrying about staggered boarding isn't necessary. Since you don't yet have an assignment, just show up when you want to.

You can get an assignment as late as showing up at the dock. Staggered boarding in most cases is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Although we have priority embarkation, it is our practice to show up later during the boarding process, avoiding the long lines altogether.

Good luck with an upgrade and have a great cruise!

Thank you!

This sounds similar to the airlines over selling flights. I had no idea cruise ships do this as well.

Yes, they do oversell cruise ships because just like with airplane flights, there are historical data on expected number of cancellations.

Sometimes actuality does not conform with past statistics, and that is when the move-over offers start to get made.

Well finally got our cabin assignment, still obstructed ocean view so no upgrade. Would have been a nice surprise for our anniversary, but as my husband said "at least we have a place to sleep!" Thanks for all the replies! :)

Have a great cruise. Our first cruise to Alaska was in an obstructed view cabin and we had a great time. The good thing was that the Promenade Deck was only one deck down. Sometimes we would be able to see something interesting out the window (looking over the lifeboat) and run downstairs to see it without the obstruction.