The King And Queen Of The Chair Hogs!

Spaniel Lover

My DW (who has a physical disability), is not ashamed to make loud comments about 'those whose disability seems to be mental' (aimed at chair hogs/elevator bargers, etc.)

Again, in this case it would probably fly 3 feet over their heads...

If I were one of the people that they were saving chairs for and I walked up to see them sitting on two chairs... I would have been mortified and truly embarrassed!!! Maybe that is why nobody ever came. They saw these two crackpots and made a U-Turn saying to one another "I don't want to be associated with those two entitled jerks! Let's act like we don't know them."

Anyways, that's what I envision! :-)

I'm currently onboard the Norwegian Getaway and just came back from the fireworks show up on deck 16 at the Spice H2O area. The open deck was jammed full with hundreds and hundreds of people all crowding in to this area to get a view of the fireworks show, which was scheduled to start at 10:45 PM.

We arrived at 10:15 in order to find a decent place to sit or stand to see the fireworks. All the seats were taken by that time, and so it was standing room only throughout the entire area. However, over in the far corner I spotted what looked like two empty seats... which I assumed someone was saving for a friend or relative who hadn't arrived yet.

My wife and I walked over to that corner to verify that the seats were indeed being saved. Someone had placed a shawl or sweatshirt or something on the chair to indicate that it was taken. I decided to move those two seats forward just a tiny bit so that there would be enough room for my wife and I to stand behind them. As soon as I touched the chairs, a woman snarled at me that those seats were taken. I didn't respond or even look towards the woman... I simply maneuvered in to the space behind those two saved chairs and stood there for the rest of the lead-in to the fireworks show.

The chairs remained empty the entire time, and the woman waved off anyone that dare come anywhere near them. Finally, when an announcement was made that the fireworks show was about two minutes from starting... and the chairs were still empty... the woman did the most outrageous act of chair hogging I've ever seen on a cruise ship! It was incredible!

With the show two minutes away from starting, and the chairs having sat empty for at least a half an hour, the woman must have started to realize that whoever she was saving them for wasn't going to show up after all. So, rather than apologize to the people around her and to offer the chairs to any of the elderly people standing in the area, here's what the woman decided to do: she took the two chairs that she and her husband were sitting on and stacked them on top of the two empty chairs... and then she and her husband sat on them so that NO ONE could have the two unused chairs!

I snapped a photo... because I wanted all my friends on CruiseCritic to be able to see what I think must have been one of the most outrageous chair hogging incidents in the history of cruising! If we had a chair hogging wall of shame, this picture would surely go on it!

ChairHogs-IMG_5373.JPG

I hereby nominate these two fine folks to be the King and Queen of the Chair Hogs!

Like Button!!!

Too bad that there wasn't a staff member around to see that. Those people are nasty.

I have to give them credit for creativity. I would never think to stack the chairs!!

I guess having kids has made me bolder...either that or old age. Anyhoo, I probably would have used it as a learning opportunity and since I have several kids I sometimes have to talk loudly to be heard. I think I would have said something like....

Kids, remember how we discuss sharing? This is an example of what not to do. OR it is a great example of how to be a complete and utter A$$. Either works!

I'm sure that you ran into them at every turn for the remainder of the cruise...that's just how it goes!