How has Sabatinis changed?

nschille04

Is a jacket required to eat at the speciality restaurants ?

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" at all times. However, don't be surprised to see some people there who are dressed as if for formal night. Many people simply enjoy dressing up for dinner. :)

You will not be out of place if you dress "smart casual" even if some others are dressed up big time.

I soooooooooo wish I was on board and eating at Crown Grill tonight!!!

Edited by Thrak

We had the same situation as the OP on a recent Ruby cruise. We had done Sabatini's before the menu change and loved the experience. We wanted to take my son there to celebrate his birthday and we were very disappointed with the changes and found the food and service no better than the main dining room. We didn't do the Crown Grill this cruise so I can't comment there. We'll try the Crown Grill next cruise but we'll scratch Sabatini's in the future, it's simply not worth the extra charge.

We had the same situation as the OP on a recent Ruby cruise. We had done Sabatini's before the menu change and loved the experience. We wanted to take my son there to celebrate his birthday and we were very disappointed with the changes and found the food and service no better than the main dining room. We didn't do the Crown Grill this cruise so I can't comment there. We'll try the Crown Grill next cruise but we'll scratch Sabatini's in the future, it's simply not worth the extra charge.

Again, food and experiences are very subjective. We still enjoy Sabatini's. I would suggest that the OP give it another try. Heck, based on this thread your expectations will be so low that you're bound to be pleasantly surprised!! ;)

Hi There

Not sure how many times l have eaten in Crown Grill may be 30 or 40 times but this time service was so bad we got a full refund and a sorry from hotel manager,

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Ditto! I was on the Caribbean Princess 09/01/14 sailing & the service was as you described, we were celebrating our anniversary & walked out prior to desert. I am looking at the comments for Sabatini`s as I`m sailing again 9/29.The service is excellent in the main at all the other restaurants & have to pay for poor service.

Add me to the list of those not impressed with Sabatini's. On the first visit the service was horrible to the point where we did not tip extra. The second visit on a different ship, the service was better but the food did not WOW! I refuse to go there again.

For those that said the service was "bad" or "horrible", what do you mean? Can you give any examples so we can understand what to expect/not expect? Now I feel hesitant to go to Crown Grill or Sabatini's...why spend extra for it then? :confused:

Hi There

Service is one thing that can change from day to day.

What is more important is why service levels were not at the standard they should be.

May be not enough staff, then the question becomes why, is it cut backs, is it over booking, may be illness or training reducing numbers or a big event elsewhere on the ship taking staff away.

On my last visit to the Crown Grill main issue was slow service and cold food.

Reason we suspect a very large family group requiring serving all at the same time result although not even half full we got poor service.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Caribbean Princess & Sabatini`s menu listed veal rack not chop, On the Royal both Sabatini`s & Crown had chop listed. Does anyone know if it can be ordered at Sabatini`s? Our recent dining experience at the crown left us not wanting to go back.

For those that said the service was "bad" or "horrible", what do you mean? Can you give any examples so we can understand what to expect/not expect? Now I feel hesitant to go to Crown Grill or Sabatini's...why spend extra for it then? :confused:

The server was taking drink orders and I ordered an iced tea. He told me flat out that this was an Italian restaurant and I could drink either wine or water. I waited and then asked for iced tea again and he gave me lip about having to go elsewhere to get it. By this time, I didn't care if he had to go to He** for iced tea-I wanted it. When he finally brought it to me, it was barely colored water. He was also waiting on a large table who were ordering bottles of wine and his tip was going to be big. We barely got our plates put in front of us. We were not offered dessert-he was in a hurry to get rid of us. There were 6 of us and the others did order wine etc. I should have reported him, but I didn't.

We've been to Sabatini's 8 times, Crown Grill 6 and Sterling Steakhouse once. I've never had bad service. I think you would be hard pressed to accurately say that there is a pattern of bad service in the specialty restaurants. However, as Shogun has said, on any given night circumstances may cause that to happen.

That's not to say bad service is ever excusable. I'm just suggesting that you shouldn't have expectations of bad service. That's not likely to happen.

I cannot remember precisely how many years ago they stopped serving a bite of 7 or 8 cold appetizers and 7 or 8 warm appetizers, followed by soup and/or salad, then pasta (and Pizza if you wanted some) and then the entrée. You also had to select a dessert...decisions, decisions.

Now you select your appetizer from a nice array of cold and warm dishes.

We are returning to Princess early next year after a four year absence. For me, I am glad to see that the concept has changed. All of those appetizers was just way too much food, and then everything else. If I had not seen this thread, I am sure we would have skipped Sabatini's for the upcoming cruise. Now knowing that these changes have been made, I think we will likely try it again for dinner.

We have done both CG and Sabatini's multiple times but never Sabatini's the previous way so we don't know any differently than what is now (other than what we had read - including how it was when we booked our first Princess cruise and based on that weren't sure we'd like it but did when we experienced it the new way).

We also have never had a bad meal nor experience at either and always look forward to them both as some of our on-ship highlights.

And as suite guests we also absolutely love breakfast in Sabatini's - what a great way to start the cruise day!

We have done both CG and Sabatini's multiple times but never Sabatini's the previous way so we don't know any differently than what is now (other than what we had read - including how it was when we booked our first Princess cruise and based on that weren't sure we'd like it but did when we experienced it the new way).

We also have never had a bad meal nor experience at either and always look forward to them both as some of our on-ship highlights.

And as suite guests we also absolutely love breakfast in Sabatini's - what a great way to start the cruise day!

Next year will be our first Princess "small ship" cruise and we're looking forward to trying Sterling's for the first time as well as the small ship Sabatini's.

Next year will be our first Princess "small ship" cruise and we're looking forward to trying Sterling's for the first time as well as the small ship Sabatini's.

Sorry everyone for the triple posting! The app on my smart phone had a dumb moment and kept saying "processing" and then "submitting" and I didn't realize until later that it posted it 3 times...

Breakfast at Sabatini's is a quiet, relaxing time in a fancier setting (since it's a dinner restaurant) with the specialty restaurant staff.

Yes, it's both a different menu and they'll make just about anything you like - especially if you ask one day to have the next. And there's a great pastry tray, too!

After the first day they'll know you so you just walk in after that and they welcome you like family.

When on a cruise we don't always want to get up early but we do set our alarm every day for breakfast at Sabatini's!

I think there's a thread all about suite perks and one all about breakfast at Sabatini's if you'd like to check those out.

[quote name='KruzeKrazy!']
I think there's a thread all about suite perks and one all about breakfast at Sabatini's if you'd like to check those out.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to look at those threads. Does anyone know where they are to point me in the right direction?

Also, with the cover waived if dining there the first night for being a suite pax, can I make a reservation in advance? Can it include my brothers who are in the outside cabin, but will pay the cover for themselves?

[quote name='Ethel5']The server was taking drink orders and I ordered an iced tea. He told me flat out that this was an Italian restaurant and I could drink either wine or water. I waited and then asked for iced tea again and he gave me lip about having to go elsewhere to get it. By this time, I didn't care if he had to go to He** for iced tea-I wanted it. When he finally brought it to me, it was barely colored water. He was also waiting on a large table who were ordering bottles of wine and his tip was going to be big. We barely got our plates put in front of us. We were not offered dessert-he was in a hurry to get rid of us. There were 6 of us and the others did order wine etc. I should have reported him, but I didn't.[/QUOTE]

I agree, that is completely unacceptable! I would have told him off! I don't drink alcohol and I always order a Diet Coke (with soda sticker) at specialty restaurants and the waiters have always been very attentive about keeping me supplied with a full glass. This is *not* normal behavior.

[quote name='nschille04']Hello all,

My husband and I are going on a cruise for our five year anniversary! We soaked princess five years ago for our honeymoon. At that time, we were blown away by Sabatinis. I remember fretting over what to order and the waiter telling me not to worry about it. I just had to order an entree. He would just bring everything else out. We were there forever and it was a romantic and memorable experience. My understanding is that Sabatinis had changed quite a bit since then. Has it been a change for the better? I wonder if we should do the crown grille instead. I know things are never quite as magical as you remember them so some big terrible change might be a disappointment. If appreciate any insight or advice.

Best
NicP

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

I was just on the Regal and did not like Sabatini's as compared to past visits. They no longer have the pasta of the day that they bring over, and our waiter rushed us through the latter part of the meal. Food quality was not as good as on other ships either.

You make specialty restaurant res after boarding. And I would think you could all go and the fee would be waived for the suite guests and the others pay the fee.

Breakfast in Sabatini's is until 9am or 9:30am depending on if a port or a sea day - I don't recall which time is for which type of day. And I don't know when they start each day as we're not early birds (especially when on vacation!) so we always go closer to closing time.