Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

Arno - I agree. (The "not sarcasm" comment was actually insulting.) The cut backs (however minuscule to some) are starting to pile up, and to me, they are noticeable. Those small things are what used to help Celebrity stand apart from the rest. They still have excellent staff, but the other things - food included - are on the decline. Sad to see, especially with the cruise prices continuing to climb!

Agreed.

My history began in 2011 for goodness sakes. Good grief, if people can't report changes in amenities, food and service without getting attacked what is cruise critic for? If someone misses something how does that take away from someone else's pleasure? Move on and let those who are concerned post. It's not like anyone is broadcasting in your living room and forcing you to respond.

My last cruise was April and it was pretty good except for some stressed staff due to cuts. All of these things mentioned changed since April. RCL does not appear to be struggling. I am paying forty percent more for cruising these days.

That El Bacio chocolate? It is not always available.

Edited by hulamoon

I'm still waiting to hear a response from my online comment card...a MAJOR cut that nobody has seemed to notice. I did, and am quite surprised Celebrity haven't responded. I would like to hear from them before I post what happened...

For some reason, those on line comment cards are valid for a very short time. Twice already, by the time we returned home from our vacation, it had expired. So I couldn't comment on anything.

I'll bring my own Godiva or Lindt chocolates and Q-tips, but I can't bring my own a capella singers. I really missed them on our April cruise on Eclipse. I really do feel bad about cuts that involve live entertainment. The a capella group was something unique to Celebrity.

I'm not sure, but I think the orchestra has lost a musician or two also in recent years. I dread the day that Celebrity decides pre-recorded music for all of the theater shows will be cheaper and easier.

Chocolates, bouquets of flowers, a sparkling wine to greet guests as they board the ship may not be essential to the cruise, but they were niceties I appreciated. Losing those little treats makes me wonder what will be lost next...maybe the cold towels and cold water outside the ship for guests returning from excursions, maybe robes, who knows what else? Maybe a service charge added for room service? Maybe an extra charge for song and dance shows? Maybe a daily charge to use the gym? Maybe a rental charge for poolside deck chairs?

People keep talking about the millions cruise companies are saving on chocolates, but lets actually look at the sums.

Lets assume X carry 25,000 passengers at any given time across the fleet [and it would appear it is a lot less than that] and 2 cents per chocolate that's $500 a day so about $183,000 a year. I doubt, that with the volumes they buy, they pay 2cents per.

Not Millions, but not exactly chump change either

Edited by GUT2407

I rethinking my 2015 Aqua A1 Panama Canal Cruise.

Maybe I can get an inside cabin on Carnival, deck 3 next to the engine room?

CaptDave

Yeah. That would be better than the horrible conditions the OP must be dealing with. No flower, pillow chocolates, Q-tips and cotton balls - oh, the horror of it all!!!! How the cruise lines can think that people can survive without these absolute necessities is beyond me. :eek:

I am calling Celebrity right now and cancelling all my future cruises. That will teach the bastards! :mad:

And no surprise, I recognize several of the posters who agree with the OP as part of an exclusive club of habitual chronic complainers who would never pass up an opportunity to criticize Celebrity about anything. :rolleyes:

(And that last comment is definitely sarcasm, and not in a fun way)

Edited by sloopsailor

We are Elite+ as well. No Captains Club rose on our Infinity cruise in July. However, our friends who are Elite got one and we had the same cabin attendant.

$1.50 rose is too much to pay for the truly loyal guests. How embarrassing since I have been a cheerleader for Celebrity for 15 years. Jerry

I just got off Sunday. I did notice some missing things, and changes. Did I miss my chocolates? Not really, but I did used eat them, just because they were there.

There were other changes onboard Celebrity last week I really liked. The new internet system is much better. Michael's Club was a great improvement. Drink packages?...I like them.

I travel, A LOT (read, 250+ days a year). Sometimes I stay in the lower end hotel chains (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, etc) and other times I get to stay at wonderful luxury hotels like JW Marriott, Renessaince, Autograph Collection Hotels, the Cosmoplitan in Las Vegas, the Ritz, etc. Those hotels have some great service and are generally beautiful, but with a few expections, most don't have Q-Tips, chocolates or flowers in my room, and for heavens sake they even charge for internet. If Celebrity is going to compete, I guess that is what modern luxury is.

I can't say I always like changes, but I'm neither surprised or going to worry about it. If I was going to list my biggest concern it would be the lack of chanes in menus in the MDR or Specialty dining. I guess I still feel compared to my other options, it's still a great value whether I get, Q-Tips, Chocolates or flowers.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Gotta love it when a poster who is ready to go on their 150th Celebrity cruise (not DAYS, CRUISES) comes here with some reasonable input and is pooh-poohed by people who constantly say "nothing to be concerned about" whenever anyone comments on cuts.

And sorry, comparing to making my own bed, doing my own dishes or cooking my own food is NOT a bonus. When I do those things I don't pay $3000-5000 per week.

Gotta love it when a poster who is ready to go on their 150th Celebrity cruise (not DAYS, CRUISES) comes here with some reasonable input and is pooh-poohed by people who constantly say "nothing to be concerned about" whenever anyone comments on cuts.

And sorry, comparing to making my own bed, doing my own dishes or cooking my own food is NOT a bonus. When I do those things I don't pay $3000-5000 per week.

Concise, and to the point- bravo!

I for one appreciate folks taking the time and passing along their experience/disappointment with what's currently transpiring onboard Celebrity cruises. Certain cutbacks may not impact my enjoyment of a cruise, but never would I chastise or belittle those who feel it does.

Tony

I just got off Sunday. I did notice some missing things, and changes. Did I miss my chocolates? Not really, but I did used eat them, just because they were there.

There were other changes onboard Celebrity last week I really liked. The new internet system is much better. Michael's Club was a great improvement. Drink packages?...I like them.

I travel, A LOT (read, 250+ days a year). Sometimes I stay in the lower end hotel chains (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, etc) and other times I get to stay at wonderful luxury hotels like JW Marriott, Renessaince, Autograph Collection Hotels, the Cosmoplitan in Las Vegas, the Ritz, etc. Those hotels have some great service and are generally beautiful, but with a few expections, most don't have Q-Tips, chocolates or flowers in my room, and for heavens sake they even charge for internet. If Celebrity is going to compete, I guess that is what modern luxury is.

I can't say I always like changes, but I'm neither surprised or going to worry about it. If I was going to list my biggest concern it would be the lack of chanes in menus in the MDR or Specialty dining. I guess I still feel compared to my other options, it's still a great value whether I get, Q-Tips, Chocolates or flowers.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

A hotel is not now and never has been a cruise. A cruise is a complete experience and when it ceases to be that, the industry will be in trouble. I always take the wait and see approach. The bean counters seem to be willing to push it as far as the consumer will let them. I just hope they realize when they have gone too far before they alienate too many good customers.

Edited by Ma Bell

A hotel is not now and never has been a cruise. A cruise is a complete experience and when it ceases to be that, the industry will be in trouble. I always take the wait and see approach. The bean counters seem to be willing to push it as far as the consumer will let them. I just hope they realize when they have gone too far before they alienate too many good customers.

I agree only in part. Yes, the cruise is the experience, and yes, the bean coutners are pushing, to see how far they can go before it hurts their bottom lines.

Hotels used to have many of these things that Celebrity is eliminating, and have also eliminated them. Hotels, and specifically, resort hotels like AI and other resort hotel chains are most definitely competing with the cruise experience with entertainment, food, and simply competing for my (all too limited) vacation $$.

Let's just hope they don't push too far. I really don't feel like paddling that ship!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We sailed Reflection in April this year and we had flowers, roses, cue tips cotton balls and chocolates on the pillow. Now with that said our cruise was a long one so the flowers died, we never used the cue tips or cotton balls. Never ate the chocolates, we left them in the drawer next to the bed when we left. With this said, I really don't care about those things. What I care about is the service that I get. The staff was wonderful and this last cruise was one of the best we have ever been on with Celebrity.

Pat

My wife and I started cruising on Celebrity 14 years ago. Since then we have cruised RCCL, NCL and Azamara; however, we always gravitate back to Celebrity.

We have noticed many changes over the years, OMG remember the midnight buffets, the spectacular and immaculate dining room waiter service back then. Oh wait, my wife and I paid the same price for a 12 day European cruise last year with a balcony as our 10 day Caribbean cruise in 2001, outside cabin on the Zenith.

There weren't the special offers back then, nor we're there perks such as the "pick1/2/3 " etc. Yes the service has deteriorated slightly over the years, but just think what you would pay in 2014$ if the service remained the same. To remain competitive, Celebrity has kept their costs in check to make cruising still affordable to travelers such as my wife and me.

If I want the level of service that Wereceived in 20010 we would have to book Siverseas, Crystal, or other 6 star rated ships; however I would be paying hundreds, if not thousands more.

Celebrity has a right to make a profit and if that means failing to provide a rose, chocolate or cotton ball, so be it. I do understand that cruisers may be upset, and if so there are other cruise lines that will provide these items, but at a cost I'm not willing to pay.

In 2011 we had flowers in bathroom and cabin. These are nice touches. Of course there isn't a lot of space but I liked them. Then they dropped to one and now none.

I used to really like the AQ shampoo etc, better than what I got in the suite. With the changes this is gone too, replaced with white tubes.

We have been in the Caribbean this year, but most of where we go does not allow us easy access to drug stores. Now I know I need to bring all these things myself. The joke around our house is we will need to bring our own flowers, shampoo and place chocolate on each other's pillow. The joke used to be we needed to take the staff home wih us.

Many people report as long as the service stays they are fine, but there have been changes, not horrific but they are felt. The day I feel I am putting the staff out I will be rethinking. Food menus are designed for people sailing less frequently I think, as we are also bored with some of the menu items as Jenna stated in another post. The original way they made the goat cheese soufflé, was magnificent.

The entertainment was amazing in 2011, we were so impressed. Now it seems less professional wih a few highlights. But mostly we don't go anymore.

Of course the Belgian chocolate would be a waste to toss out. It seems only a few of us ate them or liked them. Which I do not believe or they would have stopped it before. But there are ways around wasting just like with canapés and ice buckets on request. Of course I can live without it.

It would be nice if celebrity explained these changes. I wasn't planning on stopping sailing, but the question is how much further is this trend going with the rates going up? Are they planning on upping the food budget? Or is this for executive bonuses?

Will this be a package we buy now? Upgraded shampoo, flowers, chocolate and maybe a towel animal? :rolleyes:

Now I am writing this so you may not realize I haven't lost any sleep over it, nor am I crying buckets. But I have cruised enough to know when cuts feel like cuts rather than an update of amenities. And worse this didn't happen when the fares were low, it happened after they soared.

A lot has changed since yesteryear, the good old days of 2011 and 2012. We have five cruises booked through spring 2016. Of course I want to know what I might expect.

These small things, like flowers, bathroom niceties, belgian chocolate, Ice buckets are some of what set cheaper hotels from the nicer ones. There is also a change in dining staff and quality of food over a few years. Entertainment costs are also cut.

If all anyone cares about is someone making the bed, there really are less expensive cruises.

Since the stock is at an all time high, I expect the issue is to make more money, not stay in the black.

Am I sweating no, but I do notice.

Well said. What matters is what matters to me. Cut it so close to NCL and the sheep wander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cancel my flight - because they did away with the minuscule bag of peanuts! Qtips? Really? Cheap chocolate? I'll stop cruising when I have to change my own sheets and wash dishes. Why sweat the small stuff.

The chocolates are one thing but removing "essentials" such as cotton wool balls and cotton buds when you expect them because you have had them before is another. I use both daily [and have never considered them gross if a tad poor quality] and would happily bring my own BUT do need to know in advance. It is similar to when [most] UK hotels stopped providing face cloths.

I always thought Cruise Critic was about asking for/giving information. I'd like to thank the OP for letting me know what to expect, and therefore what I need to pack for my cruise next week. I hate it when people belittle someone for passing on information. If it doesn't bother you, move on.

Just one question though - do you still get the fruit tray in AQ? We had one in February and I was very grateful for the green apple on our first night, as the weather wasn't great!

Thanks

Used to be a whole bowl of fruit, the last time we sailed it was just apples 2 green 1 red.

All the little extras made your cruise more special, when will they stop chipping things away, what will be next? I think I saw somewhere that you can no longer get savouries from cafe al Bacio.

I always thought Cruise Critic was about asking for/giving information. I'd like to thank the OP for letting me know what to expect, and therefore what I need to pack for my cruise next week. I hate it when people belittle someone for passing on information. If it doesn't bother you, move on.

Just one question though - do you still get the fruit tray in AQ? We had one in February and I was very grateful for the green apple on our first night, as the weather wasn't great!

Thanks

I have to agree with you - there are some people on this site that are very good finding fault with fellow posters comments - sarcasm being the lowest form of wit!

If it is any help -- we were on the cruise before the OP and did have Cotton Wool & Q Tips so there is a service inconsistency.

Thanks

I have to agree with you - there are some people on this site that are very good finding fault with fellow posters comments - sarcasm being the lowest form of wit!

If it is any help -- we were on the cruise before the OP and did have Cotton Wool & Q Tips so there is a service inconsistency.

I don't think anyone flamed the OP for posting, but we too are entitled to our opinions about the post and changes. I'd also add it was not so much a post informing sailors the items are gone, but a post lamenting the missed items. "Oh My" and "Where is Celebrity Heading" are the comments that open the OP up to the commentary.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have to agree with you - there are some people on this site that are very good finding fault with fellow posters comments -

I always value the observations of returning posters who notice the changes from previous voyages. I find most of the attacks come from those who have never or seldom experienced many Celebrity cruises. Celebrity offered small touches superior to NCL and Carnival and Princess and Royal that set them above the others. Each small cut brings X closer to average.

The great majority of cruises are now more expensive than they were last year but the cuts, even minor ones continue. Posters who have never even stepped foot on a Celebrity can only offer ridicule to people who are aware of the changes.

Opinions do not have equal weight. One's cruise history is very important to give a perspective to observations. We all have our own perspective on what enhances our cruising experience. Just because one does not agree there is no need to attack the poster for making an observation.

I miss the pitcher of ice water being in the room when I arrived. (In its place is a large bottle of water with a card saying this will cost you $5.00) Now that is a real welcome! :( I also do not like the fact that the ice bucket has been removed, and if you want ice service, you need to ask!

To me, removing these items, was very "petty" on Celebrity's part. I feel sorry for the new cruiser who does not know that they can ASK for ice service.

Just small things, I know, but they all add up.

Like a previous poster I look at the bigger picture . When we started cruising 10 years ago we could do it for around £100 per day . There were no OBC offers , 123 etc . Next year , 2015 , we are on the Eclipse for just over £100 a day with OBC etc . Now in that 10 year period fuel costs , food costs and just about every other cost has increased . So in my opinion I am still getting a good deal . The few ( and they are few ) 'cutbacks' that I have noticed don't really bother me and I understand and support Celebrity and any other cruise line trying to reduce waste particularly food . In my city here in the UK we have just opened our 12th food bank ..... I know that some people say that they miss the Brunch and the extensive midnight buffets that used to happen but are they really neccessary when so much excellent and varied food is readily available ?

We always return from a cruise , check how much it has cost us and then decide whether we have had value for money . At the moment Celebrity are providing that . If and when they fail to deliver we will vote with our feet and choose another cruiseline .

:cool::cool::cool: