Sicily ports

midwestchick

I'm not able to find any information on ports in Sicily and we are going to Siracusa. Any information would be appreciated. Looking to do a private excursion or day tour.

Not many ships actually dock (or even tender) at Siracusa since Catania seems to have become the main port of the region. But we would sure love to be on a cruise that used Siracusa as a port of call. From their port once could easily explore the city on their own, but you would have to be on a tour (or arrange for a rental) car if you want to explore outside town. Since it is such a rare port of call, you might have a lot of difficulty getting much help here on CC. If we ever got there on a cruise (we have driven past the area in a rental car) we would go off on our own to the ruins (Neapolis) and a nice lunch.

Hank

Not many ships actually dock (or even tender) at Siracusa since Catania seems to have become the main port of the region. But we would sure love to be on a cruise that used Siracusa as a port of call. From their port once could easily explore the city on their own, but you would have to be on a tour (or arrange for a rental) car if you want to explore outside town. Since it is such a rare port of call, you might have a lot of difficulty getting much help here on CC. If we ever got there on a cruise (we have driven past the area in a rental car) we would go off on our own to the ruins (Neapolis) and a nice lunch.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. Taormina seems pretty popular as well. I'll nose around on tripadvisor and see what I can find. I do have one booked through the ship but wanted to cancel it for better options. I'm dreading being on a bus for a total of 3 hours.

I am surprised that Sicily is not listed under any ports though.

Thanks, Hank. Taormina seems pretty popular as well. I'll nose around on tripadvisor and see what I can find. I do have one booked through the ship but wanted to cancel it for better options. I'm dreading being on a bus for a total of 3 hours.

I am surprised that Sicily is not listed under any ports though.

DW and I really like Taormina (have visited the city 4 times) and nearby Catelmola. But that is a pretty long drive from Siracusa (about 1 1/2 hours one way) and there are several ports (Messina, Catania and Giardini-Naxos) that are closer for those wanting to visit Taormina. Siracusa is quite well known for the ruins and we would probably recommend staying in that area and enjoying the local sites. Taormini is a delightful hilltop resort city (with a well preserved Greco-Roman Amphitheatre) but we would be hard pressed to recommend 3 hours round trip when Siracusa is at your feet.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would love to do a cruise of all Sicily. DH's ancestors were from Sicily.

Having been to Sicily on multiple cruises and also driving trips we would strongly recommend a driving trip to really see the island. Cruises are just too limiting in terms of time and location...for anyone that wants some time to appreciate Sicily. It is actually a great place to just have a rental car and go at your own pace.

Hank

We have been on numerous cruises to Sicily with ports of call at Trapani, Messina, Catania and Taormina. I have to say Taormina was my favorite. The hike up to Castelmola was wonderful. We are tempted by the April cruise as we are interested going to Syracusa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May I ask what company you are using for your private tour?

Thanks!

Barbara

I am using a lady named Rosy Bartolotta. She was highly recommended on tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1199297-i13056-k4859627-Fantastic_Geneology_Tour_found_relatives-Scopello_Castellammare_del_Golfo_Province_of_Tra.html

We did an Azamara cruise two years ago that had four ports in Italy: Palermo, Trapani, Porto Empodocle (for Agrigento) and Catania (for Syracusa). I ended up relying on old-fashioned methods, the Frommer's guidebook, for deciding what to visit and advice from sister website tripadvisor.

We had a fantastic all-day tour in Palermo with Conchita Vecchio, originally from the USA, who edited the Frommer's guidebook. I got her name (and the name of other Palermo guides) from the TA forums.

Edited by CintiPam

• 1 year later...

You do not go right into Taormina. It is on a hill, well up from the water. You will need to take a local bus or a cab. There is also a bus from Catania. It starts at the airport, stops near the port, and then goes along the coast...about 30 minutes or o.

We have had cruise stops in Sicily but they cannot compare to a DIY driving tour and a ferry to some of the Sicilian islands. Well worth a few weeks especially if you add a short hop to Malta.

We are tendering and going right into Taormina. We are not planning an excursion but will be hanging around town. Do you have any recommendations?

Info for Taormina here: http://www.whatsinport.com/Taormina.htm

Definitely don't miss the Greek theatre.

As the other poster said, you tender into Giardini Naxos and from there it is a short trip to Taormina. Much better than porting in Messina. Enjoy!