So what exactly is Dynamic Dinning?

ACJT

We're booked for a cruise on the freedom in fall 2015. I've read something about it going to "dynamic dinning". What is that all about. How will it differ from the set early or late seating arrangement (or "my time" for that matter )?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, since the start of MTD some of us have been discussing how it was only a matter of time before dynamic dining was put into place. MTD wound up being VERY popular, so popular that more people requested it then they had room for. MTD basically is dynamic dining. MTD coupled with two standard seatings has made the dining room CRAZY. On our last cruise a couple of weeks ago - the waiters and asst. waiters at times were running through the dining room. The change has, more then likely, been pushed by the MTD standard and its popularity. But, as always change will be hard for some people. Now, lets talk about wrist bands LOL.

Explain?

I am not the poster of that comment, but I think I might know what they mean. It appears that the overall size of the 4 complimentary restaurants that are taking the place of the MDR are smaller then previous MDR's. If the time you want to make a reservation isn't available are you going to settle for a different time or are you maybe going to settle for paying for a specialty restaurant? Royal would want you to choose the specialty restaurant.

Now with all that said, I don't agree with that poster's statement, but it is what people are speculating.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

The only thing is the new. 5 complimentary restaurants not 4 are set for three sittings per night in lieu of two

They won't fit everyone at once if no one goes specialty but their numbers have shown a huge drop in main dining and increase in specialty

They know what numbers each night use mdr and have catered accordingly with excess for occasional overflows

They don't need and it would be business auicide to cater to have the whole ship be able to use mdr on one night if they wanted as that is not what happens

By having the equal if mdr as dynamic they don't have to keep the one specific seat open for a person who may attend once or twice in the cruise

Plus you are forgetting the windjammer

It is a good idea if they can get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only thing is the new. 5 complimentary restaurants not 4 are set for three sittings per night in lieu of two

They won't fit everyone at once if no one goes specialty but their numbers have shown a huge drop in main dining and increase in specialty

They know what numbers each night use mdr and have catered accordingly with excess for occasional overflows

They don't need and it would be business auicide to cater to have the whole ship be able to use mdr on one night if they wanted as that is not what happens

By having the equal if mdr as dynamic they don't have to keep the one specific seat open for a person who may attend once or twice in the cruise

Plus you are forgetting the windjammer

It is a good idea if they can get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stated that there were 4 because the 5th is for suite guests only. Sorry, should have specified.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We're booked for a cruise on the freedom in fall 2015. I've read something about it going to "dynamic dinning". What is that all about. How will it differ from the set early or late seating arrangement (or "my time" for that matter )?

IT is slick way to make you pay for diner.Sir six o clock is filled,we do have an open spot at nine.To late well we have a six o clock at the pay for your diner spot.Why would i want to spend vacation time fighting for an early spot for diner in the MDR.Another WOW FROM ROYAL Caribbean.:(

So this is potentially taking the care freeness of cruising. Instead of having your fixed time and table waiting its gonna take some planning ahead... Or possibly having to be prepared to pay$$

Might be too big of a deal planning and booking ahead for those of us who have been doing the Disney Dining Plan ... Reserving restaurants 6 months In advance.

We love MTD and we rarely, if ever, make reservations. We go to eat when we feel like it. If DD turns out to be crazy waits, we will end up in WJ. Not paying for Specialty Restaurants as I don't eat enough to warrant it and we have always felt the food in the MDR is just as good as any specialty restaurant we have gone to.

In fact, the last time we did do a specialty restaurant (and it was only the 2nd time we did it) was last year and the food was horrid, could not even eat it. So I would go to WJ any day of the week before I would pay for another specialty restaurant.

We love MTD and we rarely, if ever, make reservations. We go to eat when we feel like it. If DD turns out to be crazy waits, we will end up in WJ. Not paying for Specialty Restaurants as I don't eat enough to warrant it and we have always felt the food in the MDR is just as good as any specialty restaurant we have gone to.

In fact, the last time we did do a specialty restaurant (and it was only the 2nd time we did it) was last year and the food was horrid, could not even eat it. So I would go to WJ any day of the week before I would pay for another specialty restaurant.

Where is the like button.:)

Might be too big of a deal planning and booking ahead for those of us who have been doing the Disney Dining Plan ... Reserving restaurants 6 months In advance.

Please see this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096871

An excerpt taken from the second post:

"I just had a nice chat with the C&A desk. Like MTD, Q is prepared for the walk-up crowd at each venue... She told me as booked on the planner that I'll be seated alone and therefore my seat and time is guaranteed... BUT, just like MTD, walk-ups will be seated first come first serve and be asked if they wish to be seated alone or with others in larger tables just like it is right now in MTD."

The rep also said in that conversation that it's the same as MTD, and that they're prepared for space in the venues for walk-ups... of course, based on demand and availability. They just can't expect 1000 passengers to suddenly walk up to one venue at the same time and expect to be served.... no restaurant in the world can do that, and thus the reservation system... just like most all restaurants!:)

Hope this helps.

please see this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096871

an excerpt taken from the second post:

"i just had a nice chat with the c&a desk. Like mtd, q is prepared for the walk-up crowd at each venue... She told me as booked on the planner that i'll be seated alone and therefore my seat and time is guaranteed... But, just like mtd, walk-ups will be seated first come first serve and be asked if they wish to be seated alone or with others in larger tables just like it is right now in mtd."

the rep also said in that conversation that it's the same as mtd, and that they're prepared for space in the venues for walk-ups... Of course, based on demand and availability. They just can't expect 1000 passengers to suddenly walk up to one venue at the same time and expect to be served.... No restaurant in the world can do that, and thus the reservation system... Just like most all restaurants!:)

hope this helps.

Traditional dining can handle more then a 1000 passengers,With no problem.

Edited by caribbean sailor

Traditional dining can handle more then a 1000 passengers,With no problem.

And I can only assume 5 free traditional restaurants which make up dynamic dining at, say 200 seats each (only 50 tables of 4), probably will also easily handle 1000 cruisers at once.

I don't understand your comment?

A miserable experiment that will try to entice more people to go to Specialty Restaurants. :(:(:(

I agree. What Dynamic Dining does is that they take the Norwegian Freestyle model and then totally eliminate the Main Dining Room. Depending on the ship, there will be several "complimentary" restaurants in addition to the extra charge restaurants. While Quantum will have 4 with a 5th space for suite guests, Freedom is looking like it will have only 3 "complimentary" restaurants. Not sure how many Oasis will get.

In addition to not having the same table and same waitstaff with the same guests for the duration of cruise, there will no longer be rotating menus. It's the same menu each night for each restaurant.

Also, no more formal nights. While you can choose your own "formal" night by eating in The Grande, this probably means no more free champagne at the Captain's Formal reception on night 2 (or 1st Formal Night) that was held in between (or after) traditional 1st and 2nd seatings.

For large groups, they will no longer be guaranteed to sit together in the same part of the dining room (restaurant) if they have more than 16 (or even 12) people in their group.

For singles who enjoy sitting with other cruisers (same ones each night) instead of dining alone, they will have to request each night to sit with somebody else if possible or dine alone at a table.

This "Dynamic Dining" experiment is to force people into eating at extra charge specialty restaurants who otherwise wouldn't have in the past due to the comfort and enjoyment of a Traditional Main Dining Room environment. If you want variety in menus with waitstaff, you would have to eat at 3 extra charge restaurants and 4 complimentary ones on a 7 night cruise to get a different menu each night like the MDR currently offers.

Edited by TM38Rob

And I can only assume 5 free traditional restaurants which make up dynamic dining at, say 200 seats each (only 50 tables of 4), probably will also easily handle 1000 cruisers at once.

I don't understand your comment?

So why fix what is not broken:confused: A restaurant that can seat well over 1000 at one time with more choices than is offered by DD!

All cruisers will eventually have to pre pay their grats for DD and as said some will be inclined to pay for speciality that they usually wouldnt do and just to get the current variety and time preference that may not be available with DD., add to this those choosing speciality venues will pay an extra gratuity over the pre paid.

I am sure there are some that believe pre paid gratuities will not be introduced with DD but given the current MTD model it will be necessary to stop cruisers choosing speciality only and paying only the gratuity included in the speciality price.:)

Please correct me if I mis-understand. On a 7-night cruise, there are 7 different menus in the MDR on RCL ships. If I'm not a suite guest, there will be 4 dining rooms (not counting the Wind Jammer) on the Quantum. Aren't the choices on the Quantum now much more limited? Doesn't seem as interesting to me. :(:(:(