Exiting Ship Early in Victoria

micruiser12

We are planning to sail to Alaska from Seattle r/t next summer and our last port before Seattle is Victoria. We only have the evening to visit there. We imagine if we exited early we would stay a day or two in Victoria and then take the ferry to Seattle.

If you have done this before we would appreciate any advise. Was it worth doing? Is there enough to do in Victoria to make it worthwhile? Did you take the ferry to Seattle and how did that work with luggage?

Disembarkation in Victoria is not uncommon however as you must clear Canadian Customs (CBSA) in a formal manner, not the wave through that you get when you are going to be re-boarding, you must let the cruise line know of your intention in advance so that arrangements can be made with CBSA. Yes, you will have no trouble finding things to in Victoria for a couple of days. There is not a ferry that operates between Victoria and Seattle but the Victoria Clipper does and they are very used to handling luggage....it's a downtown to downtown service.

http://www.clippervacations.com/

We left the ship early in Victoria but our circumstances were a little different. We were on a 14 day round trip Seattle cruise with HAL. The last port was Victoria; we arrived there at 1 pm. The ship sailed at 11 or midnight to Seattle.

We did request permission to disembark early. This was done through our TA at the time we booked the cruise. FYI, one does not receive a refund for the unused night (in case anyone else wanted to know) but we were not charged the hotel service charge for the last night, either.

We had to self disembark, handling our own luggage so pack accordingly so that you can handle it all. We did wait for a while before disembarking as everyone else was anxious to get off the ship and start touring. I would wait at least an hour, maybe longer. I think we left around 3 pm.

Canadian customs was easy; more than just a wave through but not much more. And, because everyone else had already gone, it was quite empty.

We stayed the night in Victoria and visited friends there. The following morning we went to Abkhazi Gardens which was very nice. We flew home that afternoon from Victoria.

As for things to do in Victoria, if you have time, I highly recommend Butchart Gardens. Abkhazi Gardens is much smaller and has limited hours but is in the city, whereas Butchart Gardens is about a 40 minute drive away.

There is the lovely Inner Harbour, with the Parliament Building on one side and the Empress Hotel on another side. High tea in the Empress is reported to be good but is quite expensive which is why I've never done it. There are some very nice shops along Government Street, Murchie's Tea (that also serves tea/cakes) and Roger's Chocolates to name two.

Hope that helps. Sorry, I don't know much about the ferry to Seattle, other than that there is one. I think it's called the Victoria Clipper.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

PVSA doesn't apply as the pax are being delivered to a non-US port. Effectively the same as the one-ways which start or end in Vancouver.

This is correct. However, recently, cruise lines are becoming more picky about allowing early debarkation.

The issue is that the Seattle/Seattle round trip (closed loop) cruise has a specific procedure for processing passengers when they return from a closed loop cruise. Debarking anyone early changes the closed loop cruise to a "foreign itinerary" cruise. The procedures for processing passengers returning on a foreign itinerary cruise is more involved and can take longer. Many cruiselines, who in the past have allowed early debarkation, are not allowing it any longer.

That's why it's crucial that OP contacts the cruiseline now and gets the approval for an early debarkation IN WRITING, so it can be shown upon boarding the first day and again at Customer Services to start the debarkation process.

We did it last year. Be sure to get advance written approval from the cruise line. When I got onboard the ship I reminded them that we were leaving the cruise in Victoria. Then, the day before we arrived in Victoria I again reminded the front desk and asked them what was required of us to leave the cruise in Victoria. We stayed on the ship for dinner, then went to our room, collected our luggage and walked off the ship. Have your passport ready as you will pass Canadian customs who will ask you where you are going and how long you will be in Canada.

Be sure to have your paperwork. We did this on the Oosterdam in September 2013. No problem.

And for this you WILL need a passport.

While there is often confusion about this, assuming they are US citizens, a passport is not required for reentry into the US through a land or sea port of entry which is what the OP is contemplating. Reentry by air would require a passport. In this case a passport card, EDL or other WHTI compliant document will suffice.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

We rode the Clipper ferry from Seattle to Victoria. It was a 3 hour ride. We actually went there the evening before to get our boarding passes and that saved waiting in line the next day. The man advised us to avoid sitting in the front as it moves up and down a lot more than the rear. He also said for us to stay on the main level. So we did as he said and we were near a beverage center in the rear.

He was correct. We saw quite a few were sick in the front (little sick bags being carried back to be disposed of). We were fine back where we were. The ride was pretty smooth until we entered the Strait (or at least I think that was what we entered). Then it was very choppy and made for walking back to the restrooms a challenge, but fun.

As far as scenery from the ferry, I was a bit disappointed. It was just okay.

Like I said, we did the voyage in reverse. The choppy part for us was towards the last part. (as I recall).

You'll have to check all your bags (even your carry on's). There was no room for bags where we were sitting...except you could keep your purse or a small camera bag with you. But there wasn't any problems checking it all.

I think when we arrived, it seems like they let all the ones with no luggage exit first.

As a side note, we had a lovely stay in Victoria at the Magnolia Inn. It's just a short walk from Government Street, and our view was the Capital building which is beautiful at night. The manager sent us a box of Rogers Chocolates with a nice note. Also we arranged for a horse and carriage to pick us up right at the hotel. We also walked down to the inner harbour and took a water taxi over to Fisherman's Wharf and had some Barb's fish and chips. Very good! On past trips, we've had tea at the Empress, and toured the Craig Darroch.

Have fun planning your trip!

We did a cruise tour in August and spent the night at the Empress in Victoria. It is a beautiful hotel, with a great view of the harbour. We eat at Nautical Nellies which is on the harbour front, amazing steaks and sea food. There was entertainment on the harbour front for a couple of hours in the evening, and when it gets dark the whole of the Parliment building is lit up it was very beautiful. Oh and by the way the afternoon tea was around $50. We didn't do it but there were plenty that did.