ID for in port

my1stcruise

If I remember correctly, DH and I brought our drivers licenses while in port, but I don't remember if we actually needed them to re board the ship. Also, do kids need Id as well? We're bringing BC's for our kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If I remember correctly, DH and I brought our drivers licenses while in port, but I don't remember if we actually needed them to re board the ship. Also, do kids need Id as well? We're bringing BC's for our kids.

We just had to provide our Sail and Sign cards. That way they know who has left the boat, and who has gotten back on.

It is hit and miss. Most of the time I have never had to show picture ID to re-board in Cozumel but last June we did. We always take our DL with us when we go ashore in the Caribbean.

Be on the safe side and take your DL or State ID and Sign and Sail with you when you leave the ship.

Take care,

Mike

It all depends on the port. Seems to me that more and more ports are requiring it. Safer to have it with you. Lots of times, the CDs will make announcements that you need them but most times you don't need it.

We make photocopies of our passports and carry them with our S & S and that seems to work.

To physically ding back on to the ship the sail and sign card should be sufficient. However to get into the cruise area many times we have needed some other ID for those officials. Better to have what you need than not so we keep them on us through our cruise. Also, your CD or other cruise line employee many times will host a going ashore "show" that details the specifics of each port. Remember rules and regulations can change so even when someone has experienced a port recently it is possible to not have the correct information. If I were concerned about a specific port I would make sure I found a cruise official to ask my question the day of.

Happy sailing :D

So this starts the conversation about whether to carry your passport in port. We always do because if there is an emergency, someone gets hurt, needs to go to the hospital, we never get back on the ship, etc etc then you really need the passport. Others say to take a copy of it or be sure to leave the actual passport on board. So I am not trying to open that can of worms (guess I just did!) but that is an option.

So this starts the conversation about whether to carry your passport in port. We always do because if there is an emergency, someone gets hurt, needs to go to the hospital, we never get back on the ship, etc etc then you really need the passport. Others say to take a copy of it or be sure to leave the actual passport on board. So I am not trying to open that can of worms (guess I just did!) but that is an option.

I am right there with you - I bring my passport with me for the "just in cases", but as you are alluding to others will say it is "not a requirement" and they will also be correct.

Happy sailing :D