Move over offer

Pinktrixie

I am sailing on Tuesday 16th sept from Southampton on the Emerald for 14 nights, I have just received an E mail with a move over offer, it is offering lots of different things if I sail on a different cruise, what does this mean? Have they overbooked? This is my 5th cruise with Princess and never had this before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've received two offers from Princess to move over. Yes, that means it's an overbooked cruise and they're looking for volunteers to switch to a different cruise in exchange for benefits.

The first time was the day before our first time on that line. The message on our answering machine assure us that we will still have our cabin, but if we were willing to postpone for a few weeks, we'll get a full refund and an upgrade to a balcony (from the lowest category on the whole ship).

Since we had booked through a friends and family discount, the cruise fare was pretty low, we didn't care about a balcony (yes, some of us don't), and we were already packed and waiting to go. Plus we were driving to the port so no flights or hotels. We didn't call to take them up on their offer.

We got an email a few weeks before our most recent cruise. The offer was for 50% refund of our fare, some sort of category upgrade. But this was the only sailing we could go (during the holidays) so we didn't respond.

If they don't get anyone jumping on the offer, they'll increase the rewards until someone says yes.

Would our cabin be safe, we are in the emergency services and would not be able to change holiday, can they cancel your holiday ?

If you don't take the offer, they will move on down the list until someone does. They won't cancel your booking.

Would our cabin be safe, we are in the emergency services and would not be able to change holiday, can they cancel your holiday ?

If you don't take the offer, they will move on down the list until someone does. They won't cancel your booking.

That's true. Once at the end of the list they start over with even better offers if they haven't got all the cabins they need.

Your cabin is safe, they won't cancel your booking, just let them know you decline the offer.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Our best move over offer was several years ago. We had a 7 day East Caribbean leaving on Saturday. They offered and we took a 7 day West Caribbean leaving the next day 100% refund pay only port taxes on the new cruise Upgrade to a Balcony cabin from an inside, paid for hotel room both before and after cruise and paid airfare changes also. Then we get to the airport and our flight is overbook the airline's offer was to change to a flight 2 hrs later, free upgrade to first class and $300pp airline credit. Never happened again.

I am sailing on Tuesday 16th sept from Southampton on the Emerald for 14 nights, I have just received an E mail with a move over offer, it is offering lots of different things if I sail on a different cruise, what does this mean? Have they overbooked? This is my 5th cruise with Princess and never had this before.

You will be fine - they will move on to another cruiser to get someone to take their offer.

Wanted to say - we have stayed in Bedford many times and it is such a lovely place!

Happy Sailing on the Emerald! We have been on the ship twice and had great cruises!

Nobody gets bumped except employees and Friends & Family... and they'd have to be pretty desperate to do that.

No one has reported getting involuntarily bumped by Princess. It happened on another cruise line (Carnival) several years ago when they could not get enough people to agree to move over.

The only time we've received a move-over offer it came too late. We had already left home and flown to Florida for our cruise before they sent it--and I did not get the email until after we got back home. We heard from other passengers on that cruise about the offer.

Not sure how the Cruise line could overbook. Once you book a cruise a cabin is pre assigned even if its a guarantee - once all cabins are assign the cruise should be shut off. Can someone explain how a Cruise Line Overbooks cabins?

There is a mysterious process called Yield Management to determine this. I gather it takes into consideration the likelihood of cancellations (among other things) so Princess is in a sense gambling that they will find places for those they overbooked. I really do not understand the details.

Not sure how the Cruise line could overbook. Once you book a cruise a cabin is pre assigned even if its a guarantee - once all cabins are assign the cruise should be shut off. Can someone explain how a Cruise Line Overbooks cabins?

Same way an airline does it and they too have only X number of seats. It's a crap shoot that X number of people will cancel at the last minute.

I had to cancel a cruise this year only three days before heading to South Africa. It does happen.

We had several cruises where move-over offers were given. Because of vacation restrictions at both our jobs we weren't able to take advantage of the offers, and we sailed with the cabins we had booked, no problem.

Then we got a move-over offer 3 days before a cruise starting in Italy (we live in Texas) that we found we could accept. It moved us from a balcony (we originally had an obstructed OV guarantee) to a mini-suite on a later Mediterranean cruise (on our bucket list) that we weren't able to afford, they provided a substantial and generous refundable onboard credit, and because we had booked Princess EZAir, they rebooked our air, absorbing change fees and refunding the difference in air fare as the cost was lower.

That cruise was magical!

So the moral of this story is that turning down an offer now apparently doesn't eliminate you from getting an offer later.

We got a great moveover offer last year (our only offer in 24 Princess cruises). Three days before our TransAtlantic 15 day cruise, inside cabin we were able to negotiate a 28-day Round Australia balcony cabin ($13,000) for this year, with all $3,000 of our original fare refunded as cabin credit. No additional fee for port charges, taxes or insurance. They also offered to refund our cancelled airfare, but it was non-refundable but it was only $400 each. Not a bad tradeoff, and being retired we have total flexibility now for such deals.....would probably take another if offered!:D