Wharf extension OPT

Ive had 2 automated phone calls and 2 emails from Celebrity this morning about my 30 October cruise - that pax must adhere to allocated check in time AND complete online checkline.

We had the same sort of thing for our 23 October Cruise, tricky when the X site is so dodgy. I checked in last week when we booked but have been trying to sort a few issues and havent been able to get anywhere for days, if I can get on the site it goes round in circles and says my Captains Club number doesn't belong to my name (aaaah, yes it does!) or says come back later.

I hope people stick to the advice they are given about the check in times or Celebrity have someone at the wharf letting people drop their bags but sending them off to come back later if they come at the wrong time and there is a line!

I doubt that boarding/check-in would start much earlier than 11am at White Bay. I suggest getting there around that time, if you want to be really early. I would imagine that the first ferry will need to be filled before leaving to transport you to the OPT.:D

I'd expect they'd run it more like tenders and try to get loads out as early as possible, so they'd move every x minutes rather than just waiting to fill up.

It's not a long trip. Better to keep the flow going than bank up crowds.

Does anyone know what's going to happen at OPT end, will they let them out at Circular Quay and then walk to the ship, or board them like tendering straight from boat [ferry] to ship?

I'd expect the ferry would let them off at land nearby, then they get in the usual entry/exit area people can use to go on/off to the city and get on.

Otherwise they run entry/exit both sides, which just adds to manpower, and also forces people to go through the ship when they might want to visit some shop/sight see before boarding, again increasing handling. Lastly, the tender area isn't a great area for the main welcome/greeting area that they usually do.

The main issue is that the check-in processing and the luggage will be done at the white bay terminal so as to free up work space at the OPT (to get the next stage finished quicker).

As mentioned once checked in, embarking or disembarking would be a normal procedure without necessarily using much (or any) of the OPT terminal. :D

I'm coming in by train from southern NSW and was to get off at the Quay, so now how do I get to White bay and what is the aprox cost? I'm just a bit confused as I'm not familiar with the transport arrangements. Thanks for any help.

PS the ferry coming to and fro from White bay would be a good move if we could get that to the other terminal, just a thought.

I'm coming in by train from southern NSW and was to get off at the Quay, so now how do I get to White bay and what is the aprox cost? I'm just a bit confused as I'm not familiar with the transport arrangements. Thanks for any help.

PS the ferry coming to and fro from White bay would be a good move if we could get that to the other terminal, just a thought.

Also if you end up at OPT in error they'll bus you to White Bay.

As already mentioned, there will be always be cabs and they will provide a shuttle form the OPT for those who couldn't/didn't get the instruction. The ferries that they are putting on are only temporary but it would be greta if there was a permanent service eventually.:D

As already mentioned, there will be always be cabs and they will provide a shuttle form the OPT for those who couldn't/didn't get the instruction. The ferries that they are putting on are only temporary but it would be greta if there was a permanent service eventually.:D

Unfortunately there is nowhere to build a permanent wharf for the ferry to stop at. I believe they are installing a temporary pontoon for the chartered ferries on the days we have the check in at White Bay as there will be room there with no ship berthed.

Edited by gbenjo

Unfortunately there is nowhere to build a permanent wharf for the ferry to stop at. I believe they are installing a temporary pontoon for the chartered ferries on the days we have the check in at White Bay as there will be room there with no ship berthed.

That's what I thought, that the ferry service is a temporary measure only for those nominated days.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi all

I've posted this on another thread as well.

According to the Royal Caribbean website there are more sailing dates affected:

UPGRADE WORKS OVERSEAS PASSENGER TERMINAL, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

October – November 2014

Sydney Ports are currently upgrading the cruise terminal facilities at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney, Australia. Due to renovation works some departures in October and November 2014 will experience changes to the embarkation and disembarkation process.

The following cruises are affected:

- Rhapsody of the Seas departing 21 October 2014, details (pdf)

- Rhapsody of the Seas departing 28 October 2014, details (pdf)

- Celebrity Solstice departing 23 October 2014, details (pdf)

- Celebrity Solstice departing 26 October 2014, details (pdf)

- Celebrity Century departing 30 October 2014, details (pdf)

- Celebrity Solstice departing 3 November 2014, details (pdf)

- Celebrity Century departing 11 November 2014, details (pdf)

Please ensure you review the correct departure date instructions as the procedure may differ.

While we will endeavour to make the embarkation and disembarkation process as smooth as possible, we appreciate your patience and understanding during this time as the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.

Here's further information - mentioning 3 of the cruises. I haven't clicked on the Celebrity dates for further information though I should imagine it would be the same!?

UPGRADE WORKS AT THE OVERSEAS PASSENGER TERMINAL SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

October – November 2014

The following changes apply to the cruises listed below:

- Rhapsody of the Seas 7 night Pacific Island Getaway departing 21 October 2014;

- Celebrity Solstice 3 night Sampler cruise departing 23 October 2014;

- Celebrity Century 12 night South Pacific & Fiji cruise departing 30 October 2014;

Sydney Ports are currently upgrading the cruise terminal facilities at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney, Australia. Due to renovation works the cruises listed above will experience changed conditions at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Please note, during the upgrade works the Circular Quay West road that provides private vehicle access will be limited. Please ensure you arrange an alternative location for any private pick up or drop off transfers.

EMBARKATION

Due to the changed conditions, it is very important that all guests adhere to their allocated check-in times to ensure guests can be processed as quickly as possible. Please check your travel documents for your allocated check-in time.

We strongly advise that all passengers check-in online, which can be completed from now until 4 days prior to your departure.

Royal Caribbean International check in: http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/onlinecheckin Celebrity Cruises check-in:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/onlineDocumentation/home.do?

DISEMBARKATION

Disembarkation will take place at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. However, due to reduced luggage facilities during the upgrade works, in addition to our regular luggage collection service we will also be offering a fast and efficient self-assist disembarkation process, where guests can walk off the ship with their luggage. We highly recommend this option for guests wanting a quick disembarkation alternative and avoiding any possible delays.

AIRPORT TRANSFERS

For guests with connecting flights following their cruise, we will be operating complimentary coaches from the Overseas Passenger Terminal to the Sydney International and Domestic Airports. If you have already booked your transfer we will automatically refund this amount to you (via the original payment method used).

During check-in please ensure you advise us of your departure flight times so we can do all possible to prioritise guests accordingly.

While we will endeavour to make the embarkation and disembarkation process as smooth as possible, we appreciate your patience and understanding during this time as the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.

We recommend guests review our Frequently Asked Questions for any queries or concerns. For further information, on the Overseas Passenger Terminal upgrade, visit sydneyports.com.au

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Thanks Gae for the updates. As mentioned, anyone sailing should check the details for their cruise as close to departure dates as possible to make sure that they have the latest information. Things can and will change as the work progresses.:D Edited by MicCanberra

"[I]Yes the Ship did let us know about the change of departure - by
email and also they rang us but it was in the middle of the
night. Gave us a bit of a fright - just a recorded message."

[/I]Oops[I]. [/I]Looks like Head Office didn't take into account the time difference for their customers Down Under. Edited by MMDown Under

That would be why we didn't get the message. We turn our mobiles off at night. In emergency the police are a few doors up and if they wake us up we know it is something important enough for the middle of the night.

They wait days to get the info out, and then have to do it immediately!:confused: Probably don't even know where Australia is.

[quote name='gbenjo']To ensure that the OPT renovations proceed to completion as early as possible the builders have asked Sydney Ports and the cruiseline(s) for some "uninterrupted" time to complete some vital stages of the their work. Obviously every time there is a ship in they loose access to those areas of the terminal required to process passengers and with the season getting into full swing there are more and more of those days. So as not to delay the build any longer than necessary Sydney Ports have decided that they will shut the terminal "where possible" for about a fortnight to enable vital the work to go ahead. I think this work will include the installation of elevators and travelators etc.

To this end, as far as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are concerned, the dates and cruises affected are:

Sunday 26th October Celebrity Solstice
Tuesday 28th October Rhapsody of the Seas
Monday 3rd November Celebrity Solstice
Tuesday 11th November Celebrity Century

Obviously all passengers will receive details in emails etc about the changes from RCCL but basically what will happen is this.
The ships will still berth at the OPT. Debarking passengers will also get off at the OPT but there will be no taxis (or private vehicular transport) as far as I know, allowed at the terminal. There will be transport arranged for airport transfers etc and all the details for this will be explained to passenger via email etc.

Embarking passengers will be processed at White Bay (starting, I believe a lot earlier, around 8am I think) and then transferred to the ship at the OPT by chartered ferries. There will be coaches provided at the OPT to take guests to White Bay who may go to the OPT in error. I believe they will be able to drop their luggage off there if that is the case.

Don't know what Carnival will be doing and there are a couple of days where we will have to use the OPT because there is another ship using White Bay. I know every effort will be made to make this as easy as possible and if anyone has any questions please post away or if you like you can email me Happy to give my email address if you want it.
Any CCer going on one of these cruises may want to post this info in their roll call.... the more that know about it the better.

[EMAIL="gbenjo@bigpond.com"][/EMAIL][/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info, it's really helpful!

Am cruising on the 26th October Solstice, if we were to arrive at the terminal at around 8-9am would be able to check in straight away?

Some of the info we got from Celebrity says we check in at 11am but other info says otherwise so not to sure.

Was thinking that if we turned up early we might beat the crowds and be checked in anyway regardless of what check in time we have and how many different things we've read, just don't want to go to the effort of getting there early if it means we will have to wait till later anyway :p

If you have any info that might help in what would be best, would be much appreciated :D

[quote name='cruisin-m']Thanks for this info, it's really helpful!

Am cruising on the 26th October Solstice, if we were to arrive at the terminal at around 8-9am would be able to check in straight away?

Some of the info we got from Celebrity says we check in at 11am but other info says otherwise so not to sure.

Was thinking that if we turned up early we might beat the crowds and be checked in anyway regardless of what check in time we have and how many different things we've read, just don't want to go to the effort of getting there early if it means we will have to wait till later anyway :p

If you have any info that might help in what would be best, would be much appreciated :D[/QUOTE]

They rarely start check in prior to 11am.
However, as things have changed from the OPT to the White Bay terminal, they will notify you personally of these changes and will give you a time to check in so I would follow those instructions to avoid delays. Good luck.:D

Mic, I admire your belief that Celebrity will advise anything. They really haven't known much about these changes for people.

Gbenjo that works there has said that because the offloading passengers will be through the OPT, they can start the check in earlier with the check in at White Bay. He said they would be starting from 8am. Might just depend how many they wait for to make a full load to go around to the ship. So I would say a bit earlier will be an exception in this case.

Those cruises during this time that are still processing at the OPT will have restricted vehicle access and they are very much emphasising to stick to scheduled check in.

[quote name='goodycruising']Mic, I admire your belief that Celebrity will advise anything. They really haven't known much about these changes for people.

Gbenjo that works there has said that because the offloading passengers will be through the OPT, they can start the check in earlier with the check in at White Bay. He said they would be starting from 8am. Might just depend how many they wait for to make a full load to go around to the ship. So I would say a bit earlier will be an exception in this case.

Those cruises during this time that are still processing at the OPT will have restricted vehicle access and they are very much emphasising to stick to scheduled check in.[/quote]

I know I originally said we may be starting check in at 8am but that now unfortunately looks a" little ambitious":mad:. We will be starting check in as early as possible (well...well... before eleven) to give us the maximum time to move all the pax to the OPT but I cannot tell you at exactly what time that will be as they will need to get computers etc off the ship and over to White Bay and set them up.

[quote name='gbenjo']I know I originally said we may be starting check in at 8am but that now unfortunately looks a" little ambitious":mad:. We will be starting check in as early as possible (well...well... before eleven) to give us the maximum time to move all the pax to the OPT but I cannot tell you at exactly what time that will be as they will need to get computers etc off the ship and over to White Bay and set them up.[/QUOTE]

Glad we have you to keep us informed.:D