Copy of passport

Burrinda

We have recently moved and cannot find our passports or bcs. We have found copies of our passports. Can this be used? If not, what should we do?

You'll have to find either passports or your BCs (or get them replaced), you absolutely cannot travel on a copy of passport.

We have recently moved and cannot find our passports or bcs. We have found copies of our passports. Can this be used? If not, what should we do?

Order copies of your bc and have them expedited. It's the easiest, fastest, least expensive way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You dont need to have a passport to travel a closed loop tour. We just use our drivers license.

You cannot cruise with DL only. You have got to have a BC to go with it. Please don't pass these people wrong information. They will get to the port and be denied their vacation.

You dont need to have a passport to travel a closed loop tour. We just use our drivers license.

Driver's license + birth certificate. The OP said that's more complicated because s/he was born in Germany.

Search the house top to bottom again and look into getting an expedited passport. I've heard stories of people using copies of passports, but I think that was only in very unusual circumstances where people took pity on them --for example, they had a police report showing they were robbed on the way to the port.

yeah, we are going to turn everything upside down tonight to find it. If not, we will go to Houston tomorrow and apply for expedited replacements. I am glad I asked him to see them, he said he remembers putting them in a "safe" place. HA!

This info comes directly from the Carnival website. Copies are not acceptable.

These rules below only apply to cruises traveling to Canada, Mexico, and most of the islands in the Caribbean. They also must start and end in the US. Otherwise, the only acceptable document is a passport. A passport is recommended regardless but if it is a cruise that fits the above criteria, then you can get away with using something on the list below.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below. Additionally, the same document requirements apply when taking a cruise that begins and ends in a different U.S. port.

• Valid U.S. Passport

• Passport Card

• Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

• Original Certificate of Naturalization

• Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

• Enhanced Tribal Card

• A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – only acceptable at land and sea ports of entry. It cannot be used for air travel outside the U.S. The word ‘Enhanced’ must appear on the driver’s license. The following five states currently issue an EDL: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

Copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, hospital and baptismal certificates are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable.

Edited by yankee04

And while you are thinking about it, now would be a good time for you to request a copy of your "Report of Birth Abroad" from the State Department and for your spouse to request a copy of his/her birth certificate. Then you'll have them for any future need.

I highly doubt this. You need to prove citizenship. The drivers license just proves your identification.

You can NOT cross any border on a drivers licence alone UNLESS its an enhanced drivers licence AND you are crossing LAND borders ONLY. Otherwise its passport or drivers licence/birth certificate for cruises. Passport only for air travel. No copies of anything would be accepted, it would be the same as arriving by airplane from a foreign country you could not just show a picture/copy of your passport. That is why if your passport is lost overseas you are required to go to the consulate/embassy for an emergency temporary passport.

I think I am screwed if I don't find it. I am sure it is with my consular report of birth abroad and his birth certificate. I don't think I can get those in time to submit for a new passport. We are going to tear the house apart this weekend and go through all the boxes. If we don't find it by Monday we will go to Houston with what we have and see what we can do. I planned this cruise months ago, read about other people with these issues and felt smug knowing ours was safe in our file cabinet. Next time I will have them in hand when I schedule the cruise! Thank you all for your help. I think I knew I wouldn't be able to use the copies but hoped I would be wrong. I will let you know how it ends up. I guess worst case scenario would be paying the fee to change the date of the cruise in time to get it all done.

You cannot cruise with DL only. You have got to have a BC to go with it. Please don't pass these people wrong information. They will get to the port and be denied their vacation.

We have never brought a bc with us on any cruise.

Sorry, we have enhanced drivers licenses. that's all we use. Nothing else.

Edited by beyond2k

You can NOT cross any border on a drivers licence alone UNLESS its an enhanced drivers licence AND you are crossing LAND borders ONLY. Otherwise its passport or drivers licence/birth certificate for cruises. Passport only for air travel. No copies of anything would be accepted, it would be the same as arriving by airplane from a foreign country you could not just show a picture/copy of your passport. That is why if your passport is lost overseas you are required to go to the consulate/embassy for an emergency temporary passport.

Sort of. EDL's (and passport cards) may be used at sea ports of entry for both closed loop and open jaw sailings in the Western Hemisphere.

I think I am screwed if I don't find it. I am sure it is with my consular report of birth abroad and his birth certificate. I don't think I can get those in time to submit for a new passport. We are going to tear the house apart this weekend and go through all the boxes. If we don't find it by Monday we will go to Houston with what we have and see what we can do. I planned this cruise months ago, read about other people with these issues and felt smug knowing ours was safe in our file cabinet. Next time I will have them in hand when I schedule the cruise! Thank you all for your help. I think I knew I wouldn't be able to use the copies but hoped I would be wrong. I will let you know how it ends up. I guess worst case scenario would be paying the fee to change the date of the cruise in time to get it all done.

Do you need all of those documents to obtain a new passport for what is essentially a lost passport? Hopefully they will be in one of the boxes.

We have never brought a bc with us on any cruise.

Are you using Enhanced Licenses? That's the only way that I know of that you can get on a cruise with just your license (and it's really not just a license, which is only proof of identity. An Enhanced License proofs both identity and citizenship). I see that you edited your post to add that you are using EDL's and yes, if you have an EDL that is all that you need but they are only issued by 5 states so far so they aren't an option for everyone.

Edited by sparks1093