lecturers, exercise programs, crafts and others

NCP

We are new to Oceania and have read great reviews and we are looking forwards to our first O cruise. This cruise is going to have many sea days and we would like to find out the following information

1. How are the lectures in O cruises? We are used to have magnificent lecturers for topics related to the places we will be visiting while traveling with other cruise lines. Also we enjoy very much the port lectures who provide not only history but also very useful information about each port for the passengers who like to travel independently.

2. We have heard great reviews about the food and realize that we need to keep a good exercise program for our own health. Does O provides a free classes program (for example Zumba) for their passengers? I am aware of the gym but would like information about free classes.

3. Does O offer free Crafts, photography classes, etc?

Can someone share their experience? Thanks

We are new to Oceania and have read great reviews and we are looking forwards to our first O cruise. This cruise is going to have many sea days and we would like to find out the following information

1. How are the lectures in O cruises? We are used to have magnificent lecturers for topics related to the places we will be visiting while traveling with other cruise lines. Also we enjoy very much the port lectures who provide not only history but also very useful information about each port for the passengers who like to travel independently.

2. We have heard great reviews about the food and realize that we need to keep a good exercise program for our own health. Does O provides a free classes program (for example Zumba) for their passengers? I am aware of the gym but would like information about free classes.

3. Does O offer free Crafts, photography classes, etc?

Can someone share their experience? Thanks

It looks like you're booked on the World Cruise, which is going to be the first in Oceania's history. Experiences that the rest of us have had on shorter voyages won't really apply as there are going to be all manner of special accommodations made for you.

Lecturers vary in quality. Some have been great; others a big snooze. O does not generally offer "port information" lectures -- what to do, what to see -- although you can glean this information from the videos that attempt to see you shore excursions. If I were you, I would do my homework ahead of time and educate yourself about the ports. A local rep may come on board with maps but that person is usually swamped and is not in a position to educate you.

There are free exercise classes -- mostly stretching and simple stuff. Other classes carry a small fee. On my last cruise they announced a "zumba" class but it was in fact illegal. It was "taught" by the entertainment team and it was not Zumba. Zumba is a trademark and may not be used by anyone other than a licensed Zumba instructor. (I was a trademark atty in a past life). Hopefully they will sort this out if they want to offer Zumba. They have it on Celebrity and it is great fun.

Arts, crafts and photography classes have been limited to the O class ships, but apparently they are going to integrate this program into the Insignia for the World Cruise.

Because you are on the World Cruise and they need to keep you entertained for 6 months, I expect there will be some variation from the standard offerings. You will find out when you board.

Oceania has a program on regular trips for speakers and I have found them very good. As for gym things I really do not remember. I agree with Jim&Stan, although not too often, if you are on the world cruise it will offer lots.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Can I find out who is giving enrichment lectures and the subjects in advance of the cruise? If so, how do I do that?

On one cruise I took, a somewhat famous lecturer was advertised ahead of time.

You can call Oceania and ask. If they know they will tell you.

It's often hard to know in advance, and quality of lecturers can indeed be variable. We've been to wonderful lectures and not so wonderful lectures.

On our Oct '11 Med cruise on Marina I was in contact with one lecturer's wife and so of course we went to all his talks and he was wonderful. (Praise be.)

On our first Panama Canal cruise when Oceania was new the lecturers were fabulous. They were also very cruise-specific. On other cruises, well, sometimes not so much.

But certainly calling Oceania is the best way to find out although I don't have an idea of how far in advance is the best time to call. Certainly shortly before the cruise they should know who will be doing the talks.

Our NYC-Dover cruise in May/June 2014 had several excellent lecturers on very different topics.

Mura

On our Oct '11 Med cruise on Marina I was in contact with one lecturer's wife and so of course we went to all his talks and he was wonderful. (Praise be.)Mura

And how did you identify this lecturer so that you could contact his wife in advance? As you can tell from my signature, we've cruised several times with Celebrity, and their web page advertises lecturers well in advance of embarkation.

Nothing suspicious! She was posting on our roll call and since I was going to be visiting my family in L.A., where they live, we met while I was there. In our early correspondence I wasn't aware that her husband was going to be a lecturer on the cruise.

We had several dinners and tours together as well.

That's not to say that the information about her husband could have been available at Oceania before I was aware of it ...

Mura