Do you remember yours?

1of4

Found my Mariner number on the HAL site "My Details". I seem to remember a long thread about numbers some time ago. Very technological, way beyond me. :eek: POA1 was involved, I'm sure..... I think the end result was that the final digit of the number is a "check" number, and becomes some sort of proof of the number's legitimacy. Anybody else remember that?

Anyway, if you remove the final digit from your number, then are your numbers consecutive? I'm not sure how it worked, but something like that..:)

Oooooohhh. I always wondered why DH & I were 8 digits apart, but if you delete the last digit, they ARE consecutive. Aren't you the clever one to know/remember that?? Thank you!

I admire the poster who can recall their passport #. I know my credit cards, drivers license, Skymiles, Mariner, the VIN # for my last 3 cars, and probably 100 phone #s but not the passport number. My next goal :)

What struck me as a little strange is DH and I sailed all our cruises together; we both were assigned Mariner's numbers same day yet our numbers are 18 digits apart.

My first two cruises were with my parents when I was a teenager. I just looked this all up. My dad has the lowest mariner number, my mom's number is 8 away from his, and mine is 8 away from her's.

My husband who just took his first cruise last month (and 15 years after mine where I got my Mariner #..)... he is 261759912 numbers away from me :p

I have mine in saved in my phone.

As far as the non consecutive numbers, this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048611

from a couple of months ago explains it. In short,

the last digit is a "check" digit, discard it and your

and your spouses number may be consecutive, or at least

close

Found my Mariner number on the HAL site "My Details". I seem to remember a long thread about numbers some time ago. Very technological, way beyond me. :eek: POA1 was involved, I'm sure..... I think the end result was that the final digit of the number is a "check" number, and becomes some sort of proof of the number's legitimacy. Anybody else remember that?

Anyway, if you remove the final digit from your number, then are your numbers consecutive? I'm not sure how it worked, but something like that..:)

Hmmm..Looks like many posters don't read the entire thread before posting...:):)

That is exactly what Richwmn stated in his post several posts above Victoriann & at least one hour earlier..And Rich gave us the original thread..

BTW my DH's & mine are consecutive..

Edited by serendipity1499

I guess I missed that:o I didn't get past the first sentence and thought the rest was part of the signature, the type was so small! Oh, well, better luck next time.

Well you've been told:D:rolleyes:. How are you ever going to appear in public again after that:p;).

I guess I missed that:o I didn't get past the first sentence and thought the rest was part of the signature, the type was so small! Oh, well, better luck next time.

Gee, I used the same (default) type as most everyone else. 24 of the 29 posts so far, including yours, are in the same type.

Maybe we should all use larger type?

Edited by richwmn

I have a manila folder I use as a mouse pad and keep a list in there with our numbers for the different lines we sail.

DH and I signed up like you and are 20 or so numbers apart.:)

I just looked and my estimation above was wrong ...

Mine ends in 17 and DH ends in 62

The "drop the last number rule" doesn't always work.:confused:

Now you guys are picking on me!:D

I am definitely not maligning richwmn's type, just my eyesight! Maybe I do need that cataract surgery after all.... I read the first line of your original post, and didn't continue to the second paragraph. My bad.:eek:

Edited by Vict0riann

Yes! They are consecutive if I do that. I once was told that credit card numbers have a "check number" embedded in them and that certain digits have to add to that number in order for the number to be valid. I don't know if that's true.

Yep, credit cards, social security cards, NPI's, lots of identifiers use Luhms validation.

Credit cards also use a specific "mask" or pattern for the numbering so one can identify the brand of card. It all helps with data validation. (So next time you enter a credit card number in a webpage and before the screen can blink you have a message you made an error.... Probably the page is running a check and it didn't pass Luhms).

Just chiming in. Late at night and quiet here.

DH and I started on HAL in 1988. Our numbers start with 004 . But are 18 digits apart on the end.

And yes, credit cards have a certain number they start with.

AX and Diners start with a 3. Visa cards with a 4. Master cards with a 5 and Discover card starts with a 6.

I keep all the info on most everything in my iPhone and iPad. Some of it coded.

Example Holland America I put as last name or Company. Then I use notes for the numbers, etc.

When I book a cruise I do the same with the date of cruise under the last name field.

Under notes the booking #, cabin number, airline name, confirmation, you name it.

This way I have total access, on the go. Has saved me many times from having to remember.

As a Realtor I do the same on all the houses I have currently listed. It saves me a lot of checking and remembering. It is all there with the push of a button under Contacts

The miracles do technology. Hope I did not bore anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, credit cards, social security cards, NPI's, lots of identifiers use Luhms validation.

Credit cards also use a specific "mask" or pattern for the numbering so one can identify the brand of card. It all helps with data validation. (So next time you enter a credit card number in a webpage and before the screen can blink you have a message you made an error.... Probably the page is running a check and it didn't pass Luhms).

Credit card types are identified by the leading digits. The first digit is the MII (major industry Identifier.) The first six digits comprise the IIN (issuer identification number.)

Most web pages use either jQuery credit card validator or credit card.js to check the number using javascript. This is done in-page without sending any data. If the number entered passes this initial check, it's sent to a processing server.

Yes, I can remember mine.

. Just don't ask me to spell anything. I've always wondered why in the US, when we get our passport why that number doesn't stay with us always. I don't like having to remember a new one ever 10 years. I ask this since in Texas our drivers license does.

Edited by 2bout2c

Yes, I can remember mine.

. Just don't ask me to spell anything. I've always wondered why in the US, when we get our passport why that number doesn't stay with us always. I don't like having to remember a new one ever 10 years. I ask this since in Texas our drivers license does.

Here in PA when we get our new driver's licenses every 4 years -- new numbers.