Pretty Disappointed in Princess...

TracieABD

Hi Friends-

My mom and i are traveling to Indonesia on the Sapphire in January. This cruise appears to be close to sold out. There are no suites or minis available for quite some time.

As I was stalking the website, I noticed a family suite came open and they were offering it for $2300 per person. I jumped on it and booked it through the internet. I called the next day to put down the deposit. The deposit was accepted and my card was charged. I repeatedly asked the rep if this was acceptable for just 2 of us. She repeatedly stated it was. We were quoted a price of approx $4900 (after taxes and port fees).

I, then, turned the reservation over to my TA.

Later, on the phone with a Princess rep from customer service, we were told that we should not have been able to book that room AND we could not have that room for just 2 of us. I then received an email booking us into suite B107- premium suite for $7500 for the two of us!:eek:

In spite of the fact that this is their error, they have been unwilling to budge on price, instead they have offered $100 OBC and dinner at Sterling.

I think they should honour what their website was programmed to accept. Yes, they acknowledge the error is theirs, but that is where their graciousness ends.

Needless to say, we are very disappointed in Princess right now. Not sure what to do. Do we have any legal standing?

Hi Friends-

My mom and i are traveling to Indonesia on the Sapphire in January. This cruise appears to be close to sold out. There are no suites or minis available for quite some time.

As I was stalking the website, I noticed a family suite came open and they were offering it for $2300 per person. I jumped on it and booked it through the internet. I called the next day to put down the deposit. The deposit was accepted and my card was charged. I repeatedly asked the rep if this was acceptable for just 2 of us. She repeatedly stated it was. We were quoted a price of approx $4900 (after taxes and port fees).

Later, on the phone with a Princess rep from customer service, we were told that we should not have been able to book that room AND we could not have that room for just 2 of us. I then received an email booking us into suite B107- premium suite for $7500 for the two of us!:eek:

In spite of the fact that this is their error, they have been unwilling to budge on price, instead they have offered $100 OBC and dinner at Sterling.

I think they should honour what their website was programmed to accept. Yes, they acknowledge the error is theirs, but that is where their graciousness ends.

Needless to say, we are very disappointed in Princess right now. Not sure what to do. Do we have any legal standing?

Hi Tracie, I am surprised you were able to access the Family Suite Cat on the Princess booking website. I have never seen it anywhere on the Princess website. :eek:

Think I misread your post, yes Princess should be responsible, if you booked direct through them.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

if you were trying to book d105 or 104, it must be booked in combination with d101 or d100, so you must book the two rooms, it says that on its website. So unfortunately, no, there is no recourse that you have unless you want to book the two rooms and then pay single supplement on each cabin.

Wow! I would be upset, too! I honestly don't know the legal issues but it seems the right thing to do would be to give you the premium suite for the same price. The OBC and dinner is just the norm for booking a suite (the dinner anyway). I don't know what they're thinking. Your travel agent hasn't had any luck on your behalf?

if you were trying to book d105 or 104, it must be booked in combination with d101 or d100, so you must book the two rooms, it says that on its website. So unfortunately, no, there is no recourse that you have unless you want to book the two rooms and then pay single supplement on each cabin.

Do you have a screen shot of that? Because I have never seen the Family Suite offered on the Princess booking site for booking at all. You always had to call Princess to book it.

This is Princess's mistake. I feel sorry for the TA who gets to deal with this. It is not going to be easy for them.

I am sure there is some clause somewhere that says Princess is not responsible in the Passage Contract.

BTW - I have been in that PS and it is an odd layout. I am not sure if I would like that cabin. I think I have pictures somewhere if you want them.

Edited by Coral

This is Princess's mistake. I feel sorry for the TA who gets to deal with this. It is not going to be easy for them.

I am sure there is some clause somewhere that says Princess is not responsible in the Passage Contract.

BTW - I have been in that PS and it is an odd layout. I am not sure if I would like that cabin. I think I have pictures somewhere if you want them.

Thanks, Coral-

I would love to see the photos if you can find them.

I am tempted to let this go. I am super grateful that I get to go to Bali. I am not sure if I want to taint the whole deal by fighting with Princess. Truth is I can be happy anywhere (though it is truly amazing to be be happy in a suite). I have 6 weeks to think this through. Thanks for the offer!

even with a booking confirmation showing the price you were sold that cabin at, they won't honour it?

how far up the chain of command have you gone?

I think they should give you what you were expecting. I hope they realize its good customer service as well as public relations to honour the price you were given...it wasn't even a quote, you booked it!

Thanks, Coral-

I would love to see the photos if you can find them.

I am tempted to let this go. I am super grateful that I get to go to Bali. I am not sure if I want to taint the whole deal by fighting with Princess. Truth is I can be happy anywhere (though it is truly amazing to be be happy in a suite). I have 6 weeks to think this through. Thanks for the offer!

Tracie - I have Baja104 which is the opposite of B107. If you want these, email me (link in signature).

Let it go. It obviously is in violation of their stated policy and was a mistake. If you found a $5000 for sale online for $50 and purchased it and got confirmation of your purchase would you really expect that purchase to be honored?

I'm sure it is extremely annoying but it was a mistake. Move past it and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Friends-

Have your TA contact their BDM and see if he/she can help.

Let it go. It obviously is in violation of their stated policy and was a mistake. If you found a $5000 for sale online for $50 and purchased it and got confirmation of your purchase would you really expect that purchase to be honored?

I'm sure it is extremely annoying but it was a mistake. Move past it and enjoy your cruise.

Easy for you to say. :) If I bought a $5000 ring for $50, paid for it and took it out of the store, I say I bought it. I'm not giving it back. With a cruise, however, the cabin stays put and they can then extort the remainder (even though it was their mistake to begin with.)

Even if you booked it online, you said the booking was transfered to your TA

After that its your TAs problem, princess should have not talked to you about it, as you are now a third party

Really? That's the issue in this thread that you think most worthy of remarking upon?

Tracie, ignore those who seem to think it's no big deal and you should suck it up. The fact is that Princess made an error in pricing, compounded it by allowing the booking to go through, and thus they should stand behind it. When the airlines mistakenly load a cheap fare into their CRS, they have to honour those tickets. It's not unreasonable to request accommodation at the price you had a confirmation for. Agree with the previous poster: have the TA escalate to her District Sales Manager. Good luck.

Easy for you to say. :) If I bought a $5000 ring for $50, paid for it and took it out of the store, I say I bought it. I'm not giving it back. With a cruise, however, the cabin stays put and they can then extort the remainder (even though it was their mistake to begin with.)

It was purchased online. There is plenty of legal precedent for online listing errors.

It was purchased online. There is plenty of legal precedent for online listing errors.

If we follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion, just about anything could have been an error, and the price on just about everything could be increased AFTER the sale. Princess messed up. They won't be going out of business if they have to do the right thing and honor the sale.

Sounds like the cabin is designed for more then 2 people and this is what part of the passenger contract states.

Carrier reserves the right to refuse booking of passage on a Cruise to any person or to cancel Your existing Cruise reservation for any lawful reason and regardless of a passenger's Captain Circle loyalty level or existing benefits. Any person(s) refused booking or passage in advance of the scheduled sailing by Carrier will be given a refund of their Cruise Fare.

With that being said do you really think Princess will do the right thing and let the OP keep the cabin. I doubt it.

Hi Friends-

Do you have a booking confirmation? I would keep going up the ladder on this. It is not an obvious mistake by princess on the pricing $2300 per person is a good price but not a ridiculous one. If they booked and took a deposit, I think they have to honor it!