Ventura-Never Mind The Sunbeds.....

Daftlad

Putting items on chairs instead of on the floor doesn't mean people are "blocking" - we move our things when we see people looking for a seat and offer those seats: and i have seen a lot of other people do this too. We are also "quick eaters" and don't indulge in several courses, we generally have a small main and a bit of fruit for dessert. When it's busy and we are finishing up with our mains we offer our table to people looking for one, and take our pudding to the poolside or our room. What we don't do is leave our bags on the floor for people to trip over, or open conversation with people we are sat with.

I think it's wrong of people to assume that people with things on chairs are being rude. I understand a bit where people sit diagonally - although the tables are quite small so some larger people, or people with long legs, probably find it quite uncomfortable having other peoples knees pressed up against them! :eek:

Putting your things on the empty chairs is blocking those chairs even if you don't intend to give that impression. Folk wandering round with full trays looking for somewhere are very likely to assume you are saving the chairs for someone. So for them the chairs are blocked.

Because we don't want a 3 or 4 course meal for lunch. Nor do we want to spend hours having lunch.

As I have already said, we will either wait for a table for 2, or if one is unlikely to be free relatively quickly simply sit at a bigger table. We will not put bags on chairs or sit diagonally, we will get on with it, so I am unsure why my wife and I hoping for some time alone on our homeymoon is any skin off your nose.

I can only assume you have confused me with one of the table hoggers?

If you go in the main restaurant you do not have to have a 3 or 4 course lunch you can ask for as much as little as you want just a main course or soup and a sweet it is entirely up to you.

I will share a table in McDonald's.

If P&O expect their customers to do the same, then they obviously have a low opinion of them.

Personally, if I cannot find a table for two straight away, then I hand the trays of food to the restaurant manager and tell them why. And then get another tray of food, and if still no table, then repeat previous.

If P&O expect their customers to do the same, then they obviously have a low opinion of them.

Personally, if I cannot find a table for two straight away, then I hand the trays of food to the restaurant manager and tell them why. And then get another tray of food, and if still no table, then repeat previous.

Seems a bit childish! P&O is not a six star line and you are not guaranteed a buffet table to yourself

Surely you can't be serious;)

If the buffet was looking full and we really wanted to sit as a couple and not with anyone else we would find a table for 2 first and then go and get our food one at a time, it doesn't bother us if one of us starts eating first :)failing that if there was not another dining option we would take the food back to our cabin or in fact we often do this for afternoon tea.

I wouldn't dream of wasting food like this :eek:

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

If you are serious then you need help! What a load of absolute nonsense.

If you go in the main restaurant you do not have to have a 3 or 4 course lunch you can ask for as much as little as you want just a main course or soup and a sweet it is entirely up to you.

Exactly. I don't like a large lunch, so I usually have the 'lighter option' and very occasionally a dessert. Far better than the buffet, which I generally avoid as much as possible.

But you DO have to wait to be served. We would rather (for lunch at least) just grab some food in the buffet. Quicker and easier.

For dinner we take our time and enjoy it. For lunch we just want to get back to enjoying the sun and activities.

As has been said by others; we all have different priorities and preferences.

As the originator of this thread, I did it in an attempt to see if others had similar opinions on the subject.

Having read your response though, can I ask have you actually you actually done as described? Its just that if I was the aforementioned Restaurant Manager you would not have got a second chance to carry out such a stunt.

Perfectly serious.

If everyone did this P&O would quickly get the message and deal with it.

If you want to put up with "McDonald's" service levels, then fine. Some of us expect better.

But not in a buffet

I don't mean to be rude but I sincerely hope I never meet you on a cruise

Your expectations are way high.

Why should you have the 'pleasure' of a table to yourself in a buffet. To make sure everyone was assured of a table at the time wanted then surely they would have to provide a table for two for every pair of passengers.. just in case they all turned up at once. In that instance you probably wouldn't have any room on the ship to move round...

Do you have butlers and flunkeys at home? Mind you those that do probably wouldn't be so ridiculous.

I too hope you are not on my upcoming cruise, during which I intend to have fun and not nit pick.

Why should you have the 'pleasure' of a table to yourself in a buffet. To make sure everyone was assured of a table at the time wanted then surely they would have to provide a table for two for every pair of passengers

What a novel idea, actually providing the sort of tables people want.

It will never catch on though, customers in P&O are willing to sit in silence suffering sitting with strangers. They may try to avoid people sitting with them but must NEVER actually say anything.

A friend of mine has just travelled on a 6 star line - Seabourn and I can assure you she was invited to share a table for 8 every evening, hosted by an officer. I assume you would not care for that either.

At lunch, everybody shared tables, just the way they do it on P&O, just not as crowded.

Agree Gadabout.... My partner and I spend quite a timed apart, due to business commitments on his side.

When we go on holiday we catch up on each other's company. Although we are well over retirement age we use cruises for ourselves and each other so are happy with just our own Company BUT we also like meeting others and mostly enjoy company and certainly would be polite to everyone...

A friend of mine has just travelled on a 6 star line - Seabourn and I can assure you she was invited to share a table for 8 every evening, hosted by an officer.

"invited" means she had a choice whether to sit with others or not.

What P&O do is not "invite" but to cut costs and force people to sit with others when they do not want to.

What P&O do is not "invite" but to cut costs and force people to sit with others when they do not want to.

You sound just the person I avoid, totally selfish and unreasonable.

Please let us know when you sail and on what so I can avoid.

No, she would have had to share a table with others. It's free seating!

I had no idea that there were so many anti-social people on cruises. I am just glad that we have not met any of them.

Perhaps they should adopt the system used on American Amtrak trains. When you go to the dining car the steward tells you where to sit and with whom. It is far more efficient.