Cabinmate!

Topo Gigio

I suggest you price the cruise both as a single share (you have to call for that info) and as a solo paying supplement. Depending on the cruise there may not be much difference.

Note that the SS program is more than the regular double occupancy rate and if price drops occur you may not be able to get them as the rate is not readily published. At least that is what I found when I used it in January 13.

I suggest you price the cruise both as a single share (you have to call for that info) and as a solo paying supplement. Depending on the cruise there may not be much difference.

Note that the SS program is more than the regular double occupancy rate and if price drops occur you may not be able to get them as the rate is not readily published. At least that is what I found when I used it in January 13.

So, if I understand you correctly, you will be better of just paying the solo regular fare?

So, if I understand you correctly, you will be better of just paying the solo regular fare?

From what I've heard, yes. I'd call and get Hal to give you a quote. Usually the single share are a higher level of cabin within a category from my understanding. That said, I've never done it. I'd rather poke my eyes out than share a cabin:D.

Not necessarily and it depends on your situation and priorities.

Here's what I found:

I sailed in 2013 having booked 10 months out on a cruise I was waitlisted on. There were 2 cabin choices for SS: inside (k or better) and balcony (don't remember but out of my price point.)

A K cabin would have been 200% on that cruise, I saved close to $2k by doing the SS. The SS was about 150% of a K.

HAL opened another cruise of the same length and I enquired re: SS and single occupancy for a K. On that cruise single occupancy was 200% but SS was only a savings of under $75 for 3 weeks.

So for me, I would have done single occupancy on the second cruise as the delta between SS and single occupancy was so small. But $2k difference for me is an entirely different story.

The really big thing I think a lot of folks miss is that SS pax do pay more than half of the double occupancy rate. So your friends wallet may appreciate finding your own roomie.

I may have misunderstood, but I was told that you pay the same price as a solo cruiser even if they pair you up. We are wanting to do the Yukon tour in a couple years with 1 solo friend, but I think we'll have to find someone ourselves to pair him up with that wants to do the same land tour.

Why would anyone agree to share if they are going to pay the same amount if they had the cabin to themselves. Who would willingly share with a stranger except to save money? :confused:

I have a very dear woman friend who is solo and I would never share with her. We've been friends 'forever' and I want to keep it that way. :D We both agree were we to sail again together as we did when we were both couples, we would still get our own cabins. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I would not want to share a cabin. Just call HAL and ask what it would cost for you to stay in a cabin (have a couple of cabin categories in mind) by yourself.

We met a woman on one cruise who was beside herself. The "mate" that was chosen for her was one who stayed out until late, then came back and made noises by singing as she took a shower and prepped for bed which lasted a couple of hours. Then when the woman we met got up early, the other woman would scream at her to be quiet.

I've done a Guaranteed Share three times, and would happily do it again, if the financial arrangements were as they used to be. It's much easier to room with a stranger that you will never see again than it is to room with someone you know, but have never lived with.

Unfortunately, TiogaCruiser has it right that a solo no longer pays the pp/do rate on a Guaranteed Share, but usually pays a good deal more.

I don't find the price difference between Guaranteed Share and full single occupancy rate worth giving up the luxury of having a cabin to myself. If you can find a low single supplement (sometimes they happen), then run the numbers carefully. If the single supplement is the typical full double price, it may be worth it to take the chance.

Another thing- the single supplement appears to change even if the double occupancy rate doesn't. I've been watching a few cruises and have seen the fluctuation. If the price is right and I can break away for a few days I might just get some needed damship therapy.