Are secret balconies really going away?

lah66

One logistical question brought up by my DH - the Secret Balcony on Deck 12, starboard side has the access to the light controls for the Aqua Shows. We were sitting out there and watching the show and the guys on the lights were coming and going the whole time. Is this balcony also being converted? If so, what would they do with the lighting people?:confused:

Yay a question I can surely provide some input on! Haha

Having worked Aqua Theater lights, this was also my first question when I saw this thread. My best guess is that the suite balcony will not wrap around the entire "secret balcony" space on deck 12 as it does on decks 8-10.

Here's a crude drawing which will hopefully explain my point. The Sound & Light booth's door is outdoors with the only access being through the current "secret balcony" space. I think what is most likely to happen is that the balcony space will be divided (red lines represent some possibilities) and only some of it will be used for the new suite (this also would make it a regular OV suite, probably a GS, not an AQ suite). The new suite space would also presumably eat up the little Electrical Locker adjacent to 12728 (random useless fact: this little room is currently where broken flat panel TVs are brought to be repaired).

jj60b6.jpg

There may be a few other very remote possibilities. I'm trying to remember what the space adjacent to 12729 is currently used for and am drawing a blank. It may be a circuit breaker room. MAYBE there exists some possibility to cut an entrance into the S&L booth either from there, but this would involve cutting into structural steel (the booth is considered an add on and is outside of the structure) and is probably more cost than they are willing to cover to gain a single revenue suite, if it is even possible. There's an emergency escape hatch in the floor of the S&L booth through which one can climb down behind the rockwall to deck 7, but this is not viable for everyday use; so it can be presumed that they need to maintain a real door somewhere and the cheapest option is most likely to divide the secret balcony and keep a path open to the existing door.

So perhaps there will still be room for a handful of lounge chairs out there for public use. Which frankly, is better use of the space as never in 6 months did I see more than 4 people lounging out there during quiet times of day (maybe up to 10 standing to watch during Aqua shows). No need for space for 15 lounge chairs to satisfy demand for the "secret balcony". :)

Note that this would also apply for the matching Stage Manager's booth on the port side. Deck 11 is another story, that balcony might get completely used up and made into a mini AQ suite with a similar wraparound balcony to the AQ suites below.

Edited by compuryan

Having worked Aqua Theater lights, this was also my first question when I saw this thread. My best guess is that the suite balcony will not wrap around the entire "secret balcony" space on deck 12 as it does on decks 8-10.

Here's a crude drawing which will hopefully explain my point. The Sound & Light booth's door is outdoors with the only access being through the current "secret balcony" space. I think what is most likely to happen is that the balcony space will be divided (red lines represent some possibilities) and only some of it will be used for the new suite (this also would make it a regular OV suite, probably a GS, not an AQ suite). The new suite space would also presumably eat up the little Electrical Locker adjacent to 12728 (random useless fact: this little room is currently where broken flat panel TVs are brought to be repaired).

jj60b6.jpg

There may be a few other very remote possibilities. I'm trying to remember what the space adjacent to 12729 is currently used for and am drawing a blank. It may be a circuit breaker room. MAYBE there exists some possibility to cut an entrance into the S&L booth either from there, but this would involve cutting into structural steel (the booth is considered an add on and is outside of the structure) and is probably more cost than they are willing to cover to gain a single revenue suite, if it is even possible. There's an emergency escape hatch in the floor of the S&L booth through which one can climb down behind the rockwall to deck 7, but this is not viable for everyday use; so it can be presumed that they need to maintain a real door somewhere and the cheapest option is most likely to divide the secret balcony and keep a path open to the existing door.

So perhaps there will still be room for a handful of lounge chairs out there for public use. Which frankly, is better use of the space as never in 6 months did I see more than 4 people lounging out there during quiet times of day (maybe up to 10 standing to watch during Aqua shows). No need for space for 15 lounge chairs to satisfy demand for the "secret balcony". :)

Note that this would also apply for the matching Stage Manager's booth on the port side. Deck 11 is another story, that balcony might get completely used up and made into a mini AQ suite with a similar wraparound balcony to the AQ suites below.

Very interesting post. Thanks for the insider view.

jj60b6.jpg

interesting points. Of course, they could mark the old door "crew only" and have it lead only to a narrow passage for access to lighting room, leaving the rest of that space for a wrap around suite balcony. (so one of your redlines makes sharp turn to run parellel to rear of ship. Such wrap around balconies are very popular, especially if it allows the suite occupants to watch the aqua show (good marketing). if they do replace public balconies with suites, I think they will maximize the suite's appeal, rather than leaving a primo part of that space for public

interesting points. Of course, they could mark the old door "crew only" and have it lead only to a narrow passage for access to lighting room, leaving the rest of that space for a wrap around suite balcony. (so one of your redlines makes sharp turn to run parellel to rear of ship. Such wrap around balconies are very popular, especially if it allows the suite occupants to watch the aqua show (good marketing). if they do replace public balconies with suites, I think they will maximize the suite's appeal, rather than leaving a primo part of that space for public

Yes good point, I also thought of this after I posted the response. It could very well become a crew only access and only a 3' wide or so passage maintained for the booth with the rest of the balcony becoming revenue space. I do have a feeling this could look rather silly from the outside though haha.

After looking at those plans it seems to me, that it would have been much nicer for all passengers if Royal had found a way in add stairs to those areas. Leave some space for a smaller public balcony, and use some to give everyone on the ship some way to go from deck to deck at that aft end. As of now, I won't even consider booking a cabin far back, because of the extra long walk to get to anything. Now that would improve utilization, even if it didn't put $$ in Royal's pocket.

I'm not quite sure why people seem to be mad at RCI for doing this. For years, it seems, people have booked an Oceanview and managed to also have access to the secret balcony. They were getting something special but paying nothing for it. I guess RCI just decided to use them for revenue. Can you blame them????

no from a revenue point of view it makes sense from a loss of being able to use them it is a little sad.

I am on the Nov 8th Oasis sailing. I got word on Monday that I have been moved from all 4 of our Boardwalk balconys on deck 11. 11729,11727,11725,11723.....not happy as now we are on deck 9 and not all in a row. Booked 2 years out. Went from being 3 steps away from a public deck, to a long hallway and 6 decks up. I have sailed this class 2x and spend alot of time on those aft decks.

I am on the Nov 8th Oasis sailing. I got word on Monday that I have been moved from all 4 of our Boardwalk balconys on deck 11. 11729,11727,11725,11723.....not happy as now we are on deck 9 and not all in a row. Booked 2 years out. Went from being 3 steps away from a public deck, to a long hallway and 6 decks up. I have sailed this class 2x and spend alot of time on those aft decks.

Feel your pain as I have enjoyed those cabins quite a few times. This is interesting since it either means those cabins are gone forever as Boardwalk ones or the construction period will be longer than expected.

If they start on Sept 30 when she arrives in drydock and your Nov 8 sailing cabins are not available that would be over a month to get this area ready for whatever it MAY become.

Edited by emmy

That's after the ship is back from drydock and back in the Caribbean.:eek:

How nice of them to let you know after the final payment date so you can't cancel. Total BS.

I am in 11329 end of November. I wouldn't be too happy either as this was the main reason I booked this cruise and like you, so far out.

Bill

I sure would miss the "secret place", as my friends and I used to call it. The view from that spot was really spectacular, and it was never crowded when we were there. It could, however, get hella HOT on that balcony in the middle of the day! :eek:

Hi Carebott555, That really stinks. I mean, even if they offered a full refund, it wouldn't do any good, as you likely have your transportation already paid, and not likely refundable . I would be furious. I don't suppose Royal did anything to compensate you for this mess. ?

Hey, By the way, why haven't you stopped by the roll call? Hubby and I are on your sailing too. We have a pretty big bunch gathered there, and all signed up for the Meet and Mingle. Come on by and we'll try to get you back into an eager cruise anticipation mood.

Edited by Gayle V

Yes. Really really really going away.

:(

Merion Mom...I am afraid you may be right! At least DH and I have the luxury of time to either suck it up or book elsewhere! I really feel sorry for those of you just finding out after final payment! I am so sorry!

So, if this truly is the case, I cannot imagine RCI continuing to put guests in these rooms when they know they will no longer be! Would they really rather beg for forgiveness later than be upfront with their loyal cruisers who spend thousands and thousands of their hard earned wages to book just the right cabin on their favorite RCI ship! Unforgivable!

carebott555, have you called C&A to voice your displeasure? I hope they have a nice OBC waiting for all of you!

Lauri

Are you kidding me? I just booked Oasis last week for Spring break next year in room 12727. I was able to book it with no problem and have received no notice yet.

Oh well, at least I have time to cancel it if it turns out I will be moved.

Yes I have perused several avenues on this without much from Royal unfortunately. They are sticking with $100 obc that was offered in the inital phone call. No offers for upgrades to move us to be closer as there are none available etc. Will I still have a great cruise, absolutely! It's how they have handled it that is bothersome to me. This is something that I am sure they have had in the works for awhile, would have been nice to have more notice, perhaps we could have been relocated easier.

I've been on the fence on whether I should just start looking now for a new location, since we hand picked 11729 for 2016, to be close to friends who booked across the hall. I think this may have sealed it. I'd rather pick our own now than get moved to whatever's available later. We'll be stuck with boardwalk, though, because prices have skyrocketed since we booked.

Edited by mspink98

I have 11729 and 11728 for Jan 2016, do you think I'll be looking for new cabins?:( I cant imagine a suite would fit in just the secret balcony alone.

Maybe I can lobby to get the suite :D

I had 11728 on the transatlantic and it was great to sit on the secret balcony late afternoon watching the sun going down, the wake and maybe a show at the aqua

oops

Most of the cabins we are referring to in this thread are Not aqua theater suites But, the last aft cabins on the upper decks that have a great view of the aqua theater and those wonderful secret balconies! And don't forget the view of the ocean. This is why we booked 17 months early. To score "those" rooms. And now they are going away.

Have Plan B booked already. Will probably cancel this cruise once there is a definitive answer. I like my Plan B better...14 day cruise! Allure is not so alluring without 12329!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

I just did a "DragDecks" on Cruisedeckplans.com and to me it looks like no problem to add suits to decks 11 & 12.

I did the same...I can see them adding a suite using the available space, but I can also see them incorporating an adjacent cabin to increase the suite footprint and still have a large balcony.

I do think RCI could have made the changes clear earlier rather than notifying cabin changes and reduced public space 4 weeks before the sail date (and after all the final payments are due).

On the transantantics with so many sea days cabin choice is more important to some people than on a 7 day port-intensive.

I chose a Grand Suite fairly close to the current CL for the October transalantic and now find it will be a long hike to deck 17 if the planned changes to the CL location go ahead. It's fine for us, but could be a problem for somebody less mobile.

It's not that big a deal, but it would be fair to give passengers a heads up of known changes earlier on.

Their ship, and they can do whatever they want to it, but I agree with you that they owe paid passengers more timely notification when their vacation plans will be directly impacted.

Most of the cabins we are referring to in this thread are Not aqua theater suites But, the last aft cabins on the upper decks that have a great view of the aqua theater and those wonderful secret balconies! And don't forget the view of the ocean. This is why we booked 17 months early. To score "those" rooms. And now they are going away.

Have Plan B booked already. Will probably cancel this cruise once there is a definitive answer. I like my Plan B better...14 day cruise! Allure is not so alluring without 12329!

Lauri

But are those specific B1 cabins going away??? or have people been relocated because of construction noise???

I hope the latter.

Edited by emmy

But are those specific B1 cabins going away??? or have people been relocated because of construction noise???

I hope the latter.

Is it even a possibility that the construction workers are staying in those cabins whilst work is carried out. I know they would normally be in crew quarters but with so many workers onboard I would think they have to use some guest cabins and since these cabins are close to the working area they could make use of them that way whilst keeping a buffer between the work and the guests.