Superbowl Sunday on HAL

acl12345

We will be just leaving Puerto Montt, Chile. Does anyone have any previous experience watching the Super Bowl onboard in that part of the world?

Check the latitude as compared to the Falklands. A few years ago I was sailing off the Falklands during the Championship games. We were able to get the earlier (NFC) game, but lost TV connection during the later (AFC) game.

A few years before that I was somewhat north of the Falklands, head there for a port the next day, on Superbowl Sunday, and we got the game fine for the entire time.

If Puerto Montt is more northerly (I think it is, by more than enough), the Superbowl should come in fine.

Also be aware that on a few ships the time zone will matter. In 2012 I was on the Zaandam between Singapore and Thailand. The game was 6:30 or 7:30 Monday morning local time and not a lot of people were watching. I'm pretty sure it was on stateroom TV, and also in a half full Wajang theater. There was an interesting combination of usual game foods and breakfast goodies.

Roy

Thanks for your quick response. I don't suppose there's a prayer of a chance we can get it in the room. A few years age we cruised out of New York and the Jets were playing the Patriots (who lost) but there was a VERY pro New York crowd. We are from MA and rooting for the Patriots but were concerned about the anti-Pats slant. We were actually able to get the butler to fiddle with the back of the in room tv and get the game in the room. Nice to avoid the jeers and catcalls during the game.................

I'm with you. If we happen to be on a ship during a crucial game or the Superbowl, there's no way we would watch in a large crowd setting. Our Patriots are way too special.:) Good luck today to our favorite team.

Also be aware that on a few ships the time zone will matter.

Good point. The ship off Puerto Montt should be two hours ahead of eastern time. Kick off would be about 8:30 ship time.

When I've been aboard for Superbowl, Championship games, or even playoffs, there has been a tailgating party in at least a couple of spots.

On the Veendam it was in the Mix and Wajang. The Rotterdam had it in the (then) Sports Bar and someplace else I don't recall. On the Noordam the parties were in the Sports Bar and Northern Lights.

We were on the Eurodam in 2012 and the game was aired in the Showroom on a big screen. It was odd to watch as we like the commercials as much as the game and due to the satellite feed there were no commercials. I believe rather than the commercial breaks the camera remained on the field. Hot dogs and burgers were served at the entrance of the Showroom as were two cakes decorated in each teams colors.

We were on Noordam one Super Bowl and other HAL ships through the years and they always have a great party. The serve game day snacks, play the game (satellite permitted) in one of the lounges or Queen's Lounge, and on all cabin TV's. They make it very festive and fun.

GO PATRIOTS !!!!

NE Patriots -45-

Colts -7-

Edited by sail7seas