Which cabin do you choose and why...

kandj05

After your first RC cruise you may rethink that. I've stayed near elevators many times and the way they are laid out the noise is minimal. Now, you may end up with the rowdy bunch that changes that, but we have had no noise issues on Voyager or larger ships being near the elevator. I see your going on Oasis. Its at least 100 yards from the elevator to teh back of teh ship.

Yep, we're second from the end in the aft and looking forward to it. The walking is not intimidating to us. We went on the Disney Fantasy and were almost all the way forward, the ship is 1100 feet long and we walked it every morning to have breakfast.

Yep, we're second from the end in the aft and looking forward to it. The walking is not intimidating to us. We went on the Disney Fantasy and were almost all the way forward, the ship is 1100 feet long and we walked it every morning to have breakfast.

I'll bet you love it. We had the very last oceanview balcony on the starboard side and enjoyed it very much. The 100 yards to the stair or elevator helped work off the over eating.

Do you guys get upgrades very often? Or see price drops very often? I rarely check for those but it appears I should be. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We cruise in the summer (or during other school holidays), and have never seen a price drop!

I'm one of the ones who book the cheapest room available and do several a year. But that's just me. Occasionally I'll book a balcony or a suite. And a number of times I've booked an inside and the balcony prices end up going so cheap I upgrade.

Per the responses of others, we book based on cost- but always have a picture window or balcony. We also like to book midship, cabins above and below and not too far from the elevators. I would be clostrofobic without seeing the outside- at least a central park (Allure and Oasis) or promenade view if my budget is tight.

My #1 criteria to be "sandwiched" with cabins above and below. After that I prefer mid to mid-aft locations. Then I price out insides. My wife loves inside cabins. So once we are "on the ship" I watch for price drops or a way to upgrade to Oceanview. We have had balconies and did not feel we got our monies worth; did not spend much time on the balcony.

I agree with this 100%. I want to sleep without hearing chairs being dragged across the pool deck at 5:00 AM or a thump from the music in a nightclub or bar!

I generally book insides but we've had portholes, ocean view, and balconies.

I will book a ocean view if it is no more than $20pp more than an inside. I've only upgraded to a balcony when the price dropped to what I had already paid or within $20pp more.

Carnival considers porthole cabins to be insides and we will book them if available since we do not get ill.

Our upcoming cruise on FOS, the inside was $20 less than the outside....we chose outside. But we did flip a coin to decide ;)

As far as location, I generally pick a cabin that is between cabins (cabin above, cabin below) and a few doors down from the elevator landing.

Edited by rednose83

On Royal Caribbean, always a balcony. Preferably mid-ship, near the stairs, deck 8 or 9. Walk up a few decks to the WJ, down a few to all the action. Of course, that balcony discount factors into this.

On other cruise lines, either a balcony or OV. Vista class on Holland America is nice for OVs because the window is actually floor to ceiling glass, just like a balcony cabin but with no door to go outside. It really opens up the cabin (which is a generous size to begin with).

My #1 criteria to be "sandwiched" with cabins above and below. After that I prefer mid to mid-aft locations. Then I price out insides. My wife loves inside cabins. So once we are "on the ship" I watch for price drops or a way to upgrade to Oceanview. We have had balconies and did not feel we got our monies worth; did not spend much time on the balcony.

is this before final payment? plus how long before your cruise date?

Grand Suites and above for us for a couple of reasons:

1.) The wife likes the bigger cabins.

2.) Access to the concierge lounge.

3.) The double C&A sea points.

4.) All the other perks of having the gold card like the reserved chairs on the pool deck, dedicated check-in line, etc.

It's all those little things that add up to make the extra cost worthwhile.

[quote name='DonnaK']We cruise in the summer (or during other school holidays), and have never seen a price drop![/QUOTE]

We are lucky, our anniversary falls in between spring break and the end of the school year, seems like a good time for price drops.

Since I need a wheelchair accessible cabin, my choices are limited. Our first cruise we had an inside -- it was fine but we didn't know what we were missing. From then on it's been balcony cabins. Location doesn't matter as much as the balcony.

I sure wish there were a few accessible Grand Suites, or accessible aft balconies.

Since I cruise with my mom most often, I try to choose rooms close to elevators and more mid-ship when possible. I have never noticed added noise from the elevators, but I have definitely noticed added grumpiness when the walk to the room is super long! :p
My few cruises were all ocean view (extremely claustrophobic) and then we took a trip to Alaska. After much study I determined that the only way to see a glacier is from your own personal balcony-and so balcony it was! I loved it, and spent hours out there just reading and enjoying my own private world. So, balconies it is! I would love to do a JS-but only if the price drop allows for it. Speaking of which-how often do you check for price drops? I usually check once a week after booking, Wednesday or Thursday. I also keep a chart marking increases and decreases; but that just goes with my obsessive planning.
Megan

I've also been spoiled by aft balconies. We only take 1-2 vacations a year because of our hectic schedules, so we make the most out of them.

DH loves to tell people that he's an "Aft Man," which has earned him a few looks from eavesdroppers. :eek:

[quote name='Attapooch']Grand Suites and above for us for a couple of reasons:

1.) The wife likes the bigger cabins.
2.) Access to the concierge lounge.
3.) The double C&A sea points.
4.) All the other perks of having the gold card like the reserved chairs on the pool deck, dedicated check-in line, etc.

It's all those little things that add up to make the extra cost worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%

We are like your friends, we go for the lowest priced cabins.

We do prefer to be on a higher deck, like Deck 8 or 9 (depending on the ship). We also prefer to be mid-ship relatively close to the elevators. This usually means we are in Large Interior staterooms, Category K or L, again depending on the ship.

The money we save goes to other things, like shore excursions, or the bar tab! :D