HMC -- Are they worth it?

Krazy Kruizers

We would also agree that the benefit is not worth the cost. For any new folks worried about finding shade, there are plenty of palm trees a bit further down the beach with loungers already set up.

We feel the same way.

On our last visit, we went ashore around 10:30am, played in the water a bit, then walked down to the shaded lounges that you speak of and waited for the initial crush of the lunch lines to die down. Had an "OK" picnic-type lunch, then just headed back to the ship.

HMC is enjoyable, but not the highlight of the cruise for us.

Was there last week. The folding sunshades are not $26.

If you were there on Carnival, you probably paid less. We have read the prices are not the same for Carnival guests as HAL. HAL has not yet returned to Caribbean cruises for this season.

Our last visit on the Maasdam only three or four were rented. Interestingly it was one of the nicer and warmer visits. Calm, almost glassy seas, so no reason other than cost and the short visit for people not to book. The Oasis was not booked despite some fairly heavy "advertising" before we got to HMC.

Sounds like people are not going to spend big bucks for just a few hours.

You guys are correct. The prices are different as well as the times. I am sailing on Carnival in 3 days and we are going to HMC. We rented a cabana for $229 and it comes with 8 sodas, bottled water, chips, salsa, guacamole and fruit. We also get snorkel equipment for 4. They were sold out 4 months earlier. We will be there from 10am to 6pm. I suggest you start cruising on Carnival instead.

Edited by wuwh

You guys are correct. The prices are different as well as the times. I am sailing on Carnival in 3 days and we are going to HMC. We rented a cabana for $229 and it comes with 8 sodas, bottled water, chips, salsa, guacamole and fruit. We also get snorkel equipment for 4. They were sold out 4 months earlier. We will be there from 10am to 6pm. I suggest you start cruising on Carnival instead.

Change cruise lines because of a few extra hours at HMC on one (?) itinerary? :D I suppose if all one cares about is those few hours vs the whole cruise experience,,,,,, maybe. :D :cool:

Oasis is now $1399.95 and the upgrade package for it is $450.95

We didn't see a value to the upgrade package but in 2010 we did the Oasis and it was amazing. There was a group of 12 of us so the cost was reasonably split between everyone. It's a bummer to see it's gone up but even with an increase of $17/pp if you have a group of 12 I would absolutely consider it again.

If there were only 4 or 6 of us, absolutely not, but it was an incredible experience whether it was once only or on occasion.

Unlike many others, I don't really see the value to the smaller cabanas since it's really little more than a "lean to" with a couple chairs, some chips and dip and a few sodas.

Clamshell is good enough for me. By the time we are back from Caribbean, usually it's a bit chilly on the island comparatively. A few hours on the beach is enough for me. Paying big bucks for all the otherstuff is just plain crazy in my opinion.

Come up,to calgary. You'll see chilly then :D.

On my next cruise we're scheduled to be at HMC from 8 am to 4 pm, so the same amount of time. We usually just get a clamshell, which is very reasonably priced for 2.

We wouldn't sail on Carnival just for a couple of extra hours on HMC.

We didn't see a value to the upgrade package but in 2010 we did the Oasis and it was amazing. There was a group of 12 of us so the cost was reasonably split between everyone. It's a bummer to see it's gone up but even with an increase of $17/pp if you have a group of 12 I would absolutely consider it again.

If there were only 4 or 6 of us, absolutely not, but it was an incredible experience whether it was once only or on occasion.

Unlike many others, I don't really see the value to the smaller cabanas since it's really little more than a "lean to" with a couple chairs, some chips and dip and a few sodas.

On a couple of our cruises, when we got on the ship, they were offering a special price for the Oasis if they could get 6 or 8 people to chip in and share. Didn't work -- no one took up the offer.

You do know that Holland is owned by Carnival so cruising Holland America is paying extra for a carnival cruise. I'll save the extra money so I can spend it on the cruise.

Seriously? Have you sailed on ANY of the other Carnival family members? I would think not...based on your comment. You can't possibly believe Seabourn is just an expensive Carnival.

You do know that Holland is owned by Carnival so cruising Holland America is paying extra for a carnival cruise. I'll save the extra money so I can spend it on the cruise.

To clarify, Carnival Corporation owns HAL and has for over 20 years. Carnival Corporation, among other lines, also owns Seabourn, Cunard, Costa, Carnival, P & O and Princess. Each is a different product and offer different cruise experience.

A totally different experience than paying extra for a Carnival cruise.

Cruise each line, then compare cruises.

Carnival isn't referred to as the Kmart cruise line for nothing.

This is an interesting thread. I am one who doesn't even get off the ship at HMC, so I'm apparently saving between $230-300! I absolutely love the calm quiet of the ship this day. Now I'm not a beach person so of course, others may get a lot more satisfaction out of a cabana than I would.

My experience on Carnival and RCI is that they offer longer beach days than Princess and HAL. Seems to fit more with those brands - the party atmosphere on the island. The beach is also a money maker, none of your hard earned dollars going into a foreign port, all right back to the line.

I've actually cruised on HAL for less than the price I paid on my last Carnival trip (equivalent cabins), guess I am lucky!

This is an interesting thread. I am one who doesn't even get off the ship at HMC, so I'm apparently saving between $230-300! I absolutely love the calm quiet of the ship this day. Now I'm not a beach person so of course, others may get a lot more satisfaction out of a cabana than I would.

My experience on Carnival and RCI is that they offer longer beach days than Princess and HAL. Seems to fit more with those brands - the party atmosphere on the island. The beach is also a money maker, none of your hard earned dollars going into a foreign port, all right back to the line.

I've actually cruised on HAL for less than the price I paid on my last Carnival trip (equivalent cabins), guess I am lucky!

That's interesting, because an earlier poster mentioned the time the Carnival ship spent there, and it is exactly the same as we will be there next cruise - 6 hours.