Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

In Italian we call people like that a Caffone (sp) . My dad used to say the definition of a caffone is a guy who owns a solid gold pen and a library full of rare first edition books, and he can't read or write

Yup, it's cafoneand it means loud and gaudy. Celebrity ships have their share of them, but so does every cruise line. Well, maybe not Cunard so much.

Of course there will always be some bobo's that make you shake your head no matter which line you choose, I am hoping for less that is all and a little better quality experience then royal.

I dunno. I guess it is just not a big deal with us. We've sailed 8 lines from Carnival to Oceania and everything in between and have noticed differences, sure, but not so to affect our cruise either negatively or positively.

I just think you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment by expecting too much of Celebrity. The itinerary, though, does make somewhat of a difference.

One of the mysteries I ponder late at night when I can't sleep is why so many folks book suites on Celebrity rather than sailing on other cruise lines which offer a "better" cruise experience (in other words, moving from a mass market cruise line to a luxury or semi-luxury cruise line). Clearly (at least to me late at night) Celebrity is trying to create a seaborn, crystal or at least an azamara, oceania experience on the larger ship. To me, it's a bit like moving up from a Toyota Camry to a Toyota Avalon when you could buy a mercedes/etc for almost the same price.

I'm not really trying to flame class wars here....but just poking at why folks book a suite on celebrity in the first place, given the prices they are trying to charge. I did understand paying for more physical space...but when they increase the price and try to mimic the "better" cruise lines, I get confused.

We don't often book suites but after sailing Azamara 3 times, Azamara, Oceania and luxury lines are not where we would put our suite/cabin $$$ unless there is a smokin deal. Azamara has greatly improved their night life but Oceania is almost dead in the evening. We like good food but are not the foodies that follow Oceania. We really enjoy the vibe on Celebrity ships, the Sunset, Martini, Molecular and now the new Gastrobar and the demographics are younger. (We are late 60's but are not string quartet or Capella people) We still find the food in the MDR very good and very seldom book specialties. We don't even feel it is worth the money to book Aqua Class. For us, Celebrity offers us "the better cruise experience"

I dunno. I guess it is just not a big deal with us. We've sailed 8 lines from Carnival to Oceania and everything in between and have noticed differences, sure, but not so to affect our cruise either negatively or positively.

I just think you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment by expecting too much of Celebrity. The itinerary, though, does make somewhat of a difference.

avoiding school vacations helps. my spring cruise was much better than my summer one to bahamas but bother were good on royal. i was going to try cunard but i thought heck ill try celebrity first before i go too snotty

We don't often book suites but after sailing Azamara 3 times, Azamara, Oceania and luxury lines are not where we would put our suite/cabin $$$ unless there is a smokin deal. Azamara has greatly improved their night life but Oceania is almost dead in the evening. We like good food but are not the foodies that follow Oceania. We really enjoy the vibe on Celebrity ships, the Sunset, Martini, Molecular and now the new Gastrobar and the demographics are younger. (We are late 60's but are not string quartet or Capella people) We still find the food in the MDR very good and very seldom book specialties. We don't even feel it is worth the money to book Aqua Class. For us, Celebrity offers us "the better cruise experience"

i cant wait :)

I posted early on this thread, but wanted to clarify that it is not about the cost of the cabin. My husband likes inside cabins for personal reasons. I feel they want to force us to get a better cabin at a much higher price to get the privilege to attend certain lounges, sit in certain pool decks ,sit in certain dining areas, etc. If I don't then to bad. I have never been on Celebrity before. I have sailed over 20 times with Princess, Holland, and RCCL but it has been several years. Are they doing the same thing now? I have never had a fellow cruiser make me feel less than equal , but the cruise line seems to be wanting to. If they raised the price of all cabins would it cover the special areas and everyone could have access to them? We decided to try Celebrity because of their smoking policy and because of a special itinerary we found. After reading these threads I am beginning to wonder if we made the right choice to book. We can afford a higher end cruise but enjoy meeting all the different people on the cruises we have been on. We. We are not very formal and have been worried maybe on the higher end cruises we not "fit in" as well. (And yes we do know how to dress and behave).will try it then decide if we want to stick with Celebrity .

Some factual information to think about.

I looked at cruises between may and december 2015 and the lowest cost "suite" price across many cruise lines for a Greek Island Cruise. Note: I didn't compare any specific time of year...just that whole block of dates...and I did not try to normalize for what each cruise line calls a suite or the perks included. Obviously, the numbers would be different if you looked at other cruise areas and prices are higher during school breaks/etc....but it's a snapshot.

Looking at all the greek island cruises offered by these cruise lines, I've shown the range of the "lowest priced suite" available on their cruises. Most lines also offer much more expensive suites...not shown here.

Azamara 442-682

Celebrity 354-571

Crystal 833

Oceania 606-669

Princess 267-635

Regent 693-789

Royal Caribbean 182-425

Seaborn 389-671

Silversea 438-564

Holland America 137-321

Looking at the above, I'd say that celebrity isn't trying to compete with Holland America and Princess (who has the highest range of prices) as much as they are trying to move up to "compete" with seaborn, Azamara and Silversea.

Draw your own conclusions....but it reinforces my earlier ponder....why would someone book a suite on Celebrity when they can book on a smaller, more personalized service ship?

Wally5446 - Agree with you completely. That's why we like tables for 8 in the MDR. If there's one jerk you still have 7 other people to talk to. We like the companionship there rather than the table for 2 set up in Blu. To me a good table in the MDR trumps a dinner in a speciality restaurant. Even at the Captain's Table we haven't seen any class distinction.

I looked at cruises between may and december 2015 and the lowest cost "suite" price across many cruise lines for a Greek Island Cruise. Note: I didn't compare any specific time of year...just that whole block of dates...and I did not try to normalize for what each cruise line calls a suite or the perks included. Obviously, the numbers would be different if you looked at other cruise areas and prices are higher during school breaks/etc....but it's a snapshot.

Looking at all the greek island cruises offered by these cruise lines, I've shown the range of the "lowest priced suite" available on their cruises. Most lines also offer much more expensive suites...not shown here.

Azamara 442-682

Celebrity 354-571

Crystal 833

Oceania 606-669

Princess 267-635

Regent 693-789

Royal Caribbean 182-425

Seaborn 389-671

Silversea 438-564

Holland America 137-321

Looking at the above, I'd say that celebrity isn't trying to compete with Holland America and Princess (who has the highest range of prices) as much as they are trying to move up to "compete" with seaborn, Azamara and Silversea.

Draw your own conclusions....but it reinforces my earlier ponder....why would someone book a suite on Celebrity when they can book on a smaller, more personalized service ship?

its like buying a bigger house in a medcre neighborhood or a smaller one in a good neighborhood ,personal preference.

Wally5446 - Agree with you completely. That's why we like tables for 8 in the MDR. If there's one jerk you still have 7 other people to talk to. We like the companionship there rather than the table for 2 set up in Blu. To me a good table in the MDR trumps a dinner in a speciality restaurant. Even at the Captain's Table we haven't seen any class distinction.

What you said:D:D Totally agree!

Azamara 442-682

Celebrity 354-571

Crystal 833

Oceania 606-669

Princess 267-635

Regent 693-789

Royal Caribbean 182-425

Seaborn 389-671

Silversea 438-564

Holland America 137-321

I just checked Mediterranean cruises for summer 2015 on Celebrity, Connie, Equinox and Reflection. Suites are 800$-$1000 per night, then factor in gratuities etc . Your prices must be PP

Seabourne includes gratuities, and what on Celebrity would be a premium drink package for approximately the same price.

I agree with an earlier poster, Celebrity has a larger ship with more to do, especially at night.

We did a B2B in the spring , Reflection, then Seabourn Quest..the differences were stark, especially the food.

There is no way to compare the quality of the food and preparation in all the venues especially the lunch buffet.

The main difference for me is the itinerary, ports, food and service.

Again, I sailed on Celebrity exclusively from 2011-2013. It was a great value,on nice new ships. The issue for me is the changes, cuts and fare increases.

This relates to the topic in this thread, class distinction and how Celebrity differentiates it to drive revenue and profitability. That's at the core what the new Suite class is all about. I hope Celebrity is successful with it as I would like to try it one day, maybe on a Tuesday special.

In the meantime, if I'm going to pay $800+ per night for a somewhat larger cabin it ain't going to be on a Celebrity ship....

Edited by Kevnzworld

For us, there are three reasons:

1. We like the Celebrity product and the people we meet on board Celebrity ship. See he post immediately prior to yours and that may help to explain why we would not necessarily fee; comfortable on some of the "better" ships.

2. In our opinion, you get a better suite for your money on a Celebrity ship that on the "better" ship.

3. We love the experience when we book a top suite on a Celebrity ship.

Ditto.

I guess I don't understand why ghstudio needs to know why people book suites. I think people book what they want. Why should it make any difference to others??? That's what I wonder.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I posted early on this thread, but wanted to clarify that it is not about the cost of the cabin. My husband likes inside cabins for personal reasons. I feel they want to force us to get a better cabin at a much higher price to get the privilege to attend certain lounges, sit in certain pool decks ,sit in certain dining areas, etc. If I don't then to bad. I have never been on Celebrity before. I have sailed over 20 times with Princess, Holland, and RCCL but it has been several years. Are they doing the same thing now? I have never had a fellow cruiser make me feel less than equal , but the cruise line seems to be wanting to. If they raised the price of all cabins would it cover the special areas and everyone could have access to them? We decided to try Celebrity because of their smoking policy and because of a special itinerary we found. After reading these threads I am beginning to wonder if we made the right choice to book. We can afford a higher end cruise but enjoy meeting all the different people on the cruises we have been on. We. We are not very formal and have been worried maybe on the higher end cruises we not "fit in" as well. (And yes we do know how to dress and behave).will try it then decide if we want to stick with Celebrity .

I don't believe Celebrity is trying to force you to do anything. If you enjoy your inside cabins, by all means continue to sail in them. But you can't expect to get the perks of a suite which costs many times what you pay for your inside. You will have a perfectly fine cruise without access to Michael's. Hardly anyone used it before it was turned into a suite lounge. There are plenty of places on the ship which are open to all.

Ditto.

I guess I don't understand why ghstudio needs to know why people book suites. I think people book what they want. Why should it make any difference to others??? That's what I wonder.

I don't need to know....I'm just wondering out loud. Obviously, everyone has many choices of cruise lines and accomodations. Celebrity is moving to increase the cost and services for suite passengers and that's pushing their prices into areas that used to be the higher priced cruise lines. To me, it's an interesting marketing move. Will people pay the (roughly) same amount to cruise on a larger Celebrity ship with improved dining or will they consider the now almost same priced cabins/suites on what is viewed as more premium cruise lines.

It's publicly expressed curiosity.

Thanks Happy Cruiser. I guess I have been worried about meeting other's who may want us to join them in a particular lounge,sun deck area, etc and then we have to decline because we are not in a suite. Like I said I am willing to pay more, but not by having to give up my inside room where my husband sleeps better. Oh well....

I don't need to know....I'm just wondering out loud. Obviously, everyone has many choices of cruise lines and accomodations. Celebrity is moving to increase the cost and services for suite passengers and that's pushing their prices into areas that used to be the higher priced cruise lines. To me, it's an interesting marketing move. Will people pay the (roughly) same amount to cruise on a larger Celebrity ship with improved dining or will they consider the now almost same priced cabins/suites on what is viewed as more premium cruise lines.

It's publicly expressed curiosity.

Every source I've talked to tells me the same thing: The new Suite strategy has been successful in meeting the financial goals of the company. Suites sales, especially for April, 2015 and beyond are extremely strong. This will create the higher margins that the Corporate bean counters desire. There have been many postings on Cruise Critic from people who say that the new Suite perks will move them to Celebrity. Of course some will leave, but the income from those remaining or adding will probably more than off set some leaving Celebrity. This was a high risk, high reward strategy. Nothing to do with class, class warfare, jealousy, Mainstream or Premium line. It's all about financial results and impact on bottom line margins.

I agree with Orator. Class in the cruise world has nothing to do with social status.

Like airlines that are improving and enlarging Business class while nickel and diming economy passengers, Celebrity is expanding it's new Suite category while cutting back what it offers in the basic Veranda category. All the " new " products are extra $. Like the Gastropub.

I think that Celebrity might have trouble filling Sky suites in the $1000 per day price range, but we will see.

Five years ago Celebrity was a single class cruise line , now it has three distinct classes.

Thanks Happy Cruiser. I guess I have been worried about meeting other's who may want us to join them in a particular lounge,sun deck area, etc and then we have to decline because we are not in a suite. Like I said I am willing to pay more, but not by having to give up my inside room where my husband sleeps better. Oh well....

Lots of places to meet these others in a lounge. Michael's is the only place off limits to those not in high end suites. No sun deck areas are off limits to anyone. Really, this will not affect your cruise in the slightest. Enjoy your inside!

Just my opinion, but unlike others that have gone this route to offer their current passengers an upgraded level, X is seeking new customers to fill the post April category. After 800+ days between Silversea/Seabourn we'll try this and are pretty confident it will work for us. It's an experiment. We're on Soltice next month and will return during August.

Just my opinion, but unlike others that have gone this route to offer their current passengers an upgraded level, X is seeking new customers to fill the post April category. After 800+ days between Silversea/Seabourn we'll try this and are pretty confident it will work for us. It's an experiment. We're on Soltice next month and will return during August.

You are the Celebrity demographic I've been discussing. Hope you enjoy your cruises.