Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

Everyone has to find their own niche as to price and cruise experience

For us it's AQ....we enjoy the food, format, decor and service in BLU, enjoy the spa and relaxation room, daily water and herbal tea.,,upgraded shower, priority boarding etc,,,

so far it is worth the price...and we can still swing some specialty dining for variety,.,

suite for us not in reach but happy with AQ...will not miss Michaels

Every source I've talked to tells me the same thing: The new Suite strategy has been successful in meeting the financial goals of the company. Suites sales, especially for April, 2015 and beyond are extremely strong. This will create the higher margins that the Corporate bean counters desire. There have been many postings on Cruise Critic from people who say that the new Suite perks will move them to Celebrity. Of course some will leave, but the income from those remaining or adding will probably more than off set some leaving Celebrity. This was a high risk, high reward strategy. Nothing to do with class, class warfare, jealousy, Mainstream or Premium line. It's all about financial results and impact on bottom line margins.

The new suite perks won't cause us to leave X but it WILL cause us NOT to book suites anymore. We were lucky enough to book our CS on a TA for next spring BEFORE these new perks were announced. That suite is NOW selling on the same sailing for over 3 times what we paid....at $11,000 PLUS per person. Nice room, nice perks, but sure not THAT nice!!!:eek: We'll go back to AQ and be happy.....no way I drink enough, eat in Spec Rest enough or chatter on the internet enough to pay those kind of prices!!!:eek:

Edited by Gracie115

It's the new cruise dynamic. As I recently posted, the CEO of RCL was recently on CNBC

He said that their business plan was to cut costs and expand revenues by 15% per year.. That translates into higher fares, and a diminished product for us the cruiser.

One hasn't any further to look than the now extinct MDR buffet, the new lower grade steaks in Tuscan Grill etc ....

The effort and money is going into the venues where they can increase revenue...suite restaurants, gastropubs, etc....

Oh please, don't say that the steak in the Tuscan Grill has gone down a notch. When we dined there 10 months ago the steak was the most glorious meat I had encountered in a long while. I still talk about it to friends. Surely, they wouldn't do that !!!!

This will all be very interesting to track and watch the bookings and prices through this next year. I'm 57 and dh is 60 - we take one cruise a year - usually in a C1 because we love the aft cabins, Aqua is not for us as we don't care for Blu, but we did have a S1 aft wrap on our last cruise.

We loved the suite experience and we were considering moving up to try a Celebrity suite - with the prices climbing sky high - I'm just not sure I can justify it. Last cruise we spent a good bit of change at the Hot Glass Show auction and bought home two stunning pieces - one was their Breast Cancer Research piece which was highly sought after - so I guess I'd rather spend some of my money else where ;) a choice that we all have to make. If I'm paying top pricing for a suite - I'll most likely do it on a more upscale line - but for now - I'm happy in my aft cabin. Time and pricing will tell.

The new suite perks won't cause us to leave X but it WILL cause us NOT to book suites anymore. We were lucky enough to book our CS on a TA for next spring BEFORE these new perks were announced. That suite is NOW selling on the same sailing for over 3 times what we paid....at $11,000 PLUS per person. Nice room, nice perks, but sure not THAT nice!!!:eek: We'll go back to AQ and be happy.....no way I drink enough, eat in Spec Rest enough or chatter on the internet enough to pay those kind of prices!!!:eek:

In the end it's all about personal choice. Different people, different priorities. A Suite is not attractive to me since I receive Suite perks in whatever cabin I book . However I might book one once the new Suite Restaurant is open just to give it a try. The Restaurant might be e key to the success of the new strategy. It really needs to be knockout great!

Finally..I have figured out how to rethink Celebriy's position in the marketplace in my head.

For us it had been the best of the premium lines. But no longer for balconies and below. And the entertainment cuts may make it less than some other mainstream. So as others have said..it is just mainstream now.

AQ well I am on the fence, maybe still premium but after so many cuts there, I also may think of it as a little better than mainstream.

Suites, who knows how it will be but there are some itineraries I maybe would rather go on another line. We are trying it in 2015

Celebrity has been gutsy with many of it's marketing moves going back to the smoking policy, which is what brought us here in the first place. My feeling that celebrity is our cruise line is up for grabs however. Particularly with so many others pointing out Princess entertainment and Luxury options.

Much of the debates I think have been from people who wanted Celebrity to stay in a premium spot on all levels rather than just suites, and those who have always thought it just one of the crowd.

If celebrity suites quality was as high as luxury I would see why people would sail it for the entertainment, although it has been cut. We do not go anymore. I have never had the opinion celebrity cared to compete by itinerary. Maybe because they have so few ships.

Kevin...I am happy you found someone special on a celebrity ship. Congratulations.

Edited by hulamoon

Thanks, both Shari and Orator...we met on an Equinox TA , 4/13. We both were/ are Celebrity fans. So to the other fellow solo travelers , it can happen!

I always considered Celebrity the best of the mid level cruise lines. I had only sailed on Regent prior to being introduced to Celebrity in 2011. At that time I found Celebrity to be a great value.

Since then, fares have doubled and for me the good value aspect disappeared.

The new Suite restaurant is what I thought Blu was supposed to be originally. Instead Blu turned out to be just a somewhat better version of the MDR, with a set 14 day menu. I have found that menu execution in Blu has deteriorated.

I wonder if the new restaurant will employ " real " chefs, and cook ala minute, have the ability to create menus , specials etc...can and will they source local ingredients, FRESH fish etc...all things Celebrity has never done.

The smaller " premium " cruiselines can and do this, that's what makes them special. I experienced it on Seabourn in May. We saw some of the chefs in port buying fresh. food for the menus.

As I and many others have noted, Celebrity Suite prices for 2015 are now in the same price range as the premium, smaller cruiselines so they had better offer a superior premium product. One of the reasons I'm going back to the smaller premium cruiselines is that they now have new ships. ( something Azamara needs to consider ). The smaller ships visit ports that the large Solstice class ships can't. For many of us that have sailed in Europe a lot, docking at smaller and different ports is great. It's nice to be able to get off a ship and be in or close to a town and not be in a large industrial port,....

We are considering a few future Celebrity sailings on Solstice ships where the suite prices are still in the 6-700$ per night range....depending on future CC reviews, I'm excited to try the new restaurant...

Ditto.

I guess I don't understand why ghstudio needs to know why people book suites. I think people book what they want. Why should it make any difference to others??? That's what I wonder.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would anyone wonder, or care what other people book? It's also kind of presumptuous to assume that everyone prefers a smaller ship.

Hmmm. We seem to alternate between Cunard and Celebirty. Last time out was Solstice in New Zealand, next is Cunard to the Med. Here's the long and short of it:

Cunard has a well defined class system, usually most strongly visible in the minds of people who have never set foot on a Cunard ship. For the majority of pax, there's no noticiable distinction.

Celebrity has a very active community of people who seem willing to book a cruise just to advance up the Captains' Club loyalty scheme toward the little know "obsidian black, rolled up trouser leg" level. These people are significantly more profitable than the suite pax, who are paying top dollar for cabin real estate and are not so keen to gorge on the freebies. But as we all know, loyalty is worth so much more than revenue.

The bottom line is that you find class distinction where you go looking for it. Whether it actually exists or not. In reality it's just good, old-fashione capitalism - the more you pay the more you get.

Appreciate these above comments of wisdom from our UK friend. Plus, many other varied and interesting viewpoints. For us, it is not about worrying about "class" and other "status" things. Our first and prime priority is about ports and the itineraries visited. We have done two different cruises with Celebrity. Very good value and service, including on our last Aust-NZ cruise being with a Celebrity Suite. That was a 14-day cruise and our prime motivation in having a suite was to get the added "room" and comfort during this long of a cruise at not too much of a higher price difference. It was not for us about "perks" or class as our priority needs/interests. Have also done three other cruises with smaller, more luxury cruise lines.

Lots of factors and options to consider. We are busy with the friends traveling with us, the ports, enjoying the experiences and many options, etc. We are not focused on worrying about any "class distinctions", who else is getting "more" or "less" than what we have. We book based on general "value" and where going.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 78,135 views for this fun posting.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would anyone wonder, or care what other people book? It's also kind of presumptuous to assume that everyone prefers a smaller ship.

I read this as he was studying perceived value and figuring out his own. I spent a few years in marketing and I also occasionally look at businesses I like and try to figure out the angles and who values what and why. And of course, will I like or dislike it too?

I also occasionally want to know why people do what they do and think like they think. That is why CC is fascinating.

While I see benefits of small ships, I did like the entertainment on large ones when it was good.

I think it's interesting to read why some prefer one category over another. Especially with the increased differentiation on Celebrity now.

Regarding ship size, I guess it also depends on preferences.

For TA's with a lot of sea days, I like bigger ships like Celebrity, there's more to do. The nightlife is also more active.

For port intensive Mediterranean cruises, smaller ships can and do visit smaller and often more interesting ports. They also prepare food for much smaller numbers which allows for a much better dining experience.

Lastly, when talking about Class in the cruise ship context, it ISNT about social class....it's how levels of service and accommodations are defined, as with airlines...economy, business or first class.....

Regarding ship size, I guess it also depends on preferences. For TA's with a lot of sea days, I like bigger ships like Celebrity, there's more to do. The nightlife is also more active.

For port intensive Mediterranean cruises, smaller ships can and do visit smaller and often more interesting ports. They also prepare food for much smaller numbers which allows for a much better dining experience. Lastly, when talking about Class in the cruise ship context, it ISNT about social class....it's how levels of service and accommodations are defined, as with airlines...economy, business or first class.....

Appreciate these excellent above and very smart summary points by Kevnzworld. YES, size and where going/what doing are important factors to consider.

We are planning a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silver Cloud with Silversea. Doing a smaller ship with a more personalized style. To visit many of these locations, a large, 2850-passenger, Solstice-class ship just would not work well.

It's great to have so many different choices and styles available to us as consumers.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 184,209 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We have put a deposit on our first Celebrity cruise for 2015. Our favorite cruise line at the moment is Regent. We like the all inclusiveness of Regent as well as the size of the basic suite, the reasonable upgrades to Business Class airfare and the size of the ship.

We chose this Celebrity cruise for the itinerary and time of year. We couldn't find the equivalent on Regent. We looked at the Sky suite as it is close in size to what we are use to but ended up booking a CS as we wanted the suite benefits that we hope will get us closer to the luxury experience we enjoy. As we get closer to sailing time and work out the additional costs such as airfare, shore excursions, gratuities and internet I suspect the price of this cruise will end up being close to the same as an equivalent Regent cruise. If Regent comes out with a similar itinerary for 2016 we could end up switching back. We really prefer smaller ships.

To the poster that expressed concern about not fitting in on a luxury cruise I can assure you that at least on Regent it has the least 'class' obsessive cruise passengers I have ever sailed with. We had some of the same concerns for our first Regent cruise but it was in fact the most casual and relaxed group I have ever cruised with.

I suspect Celebrity is going this route to attract or keep cruisers that would otherwise go on a luxury cruise line or that want that kind of experience but on larger ships.

We have put a deposit on our first Celebrity cruise for 2015. Our favorite cruise line at the moment is Regent. We like the all inclusiveness of Regent as well as the size of the basic suite, the reasonable upgrades to Business Class airfare and the size of the ship.

We chose this Celebrity cruise for the itinerary and time of year. We couldn't find the equivalent on Regent. We looked at the Sky suite as it is close in size to what we are use to but ended up booking a CS as we wanted the suite benefits that we hope will get us closer to the luxury experience we enjoy. As we get closer to sailing time and work out the additional costs such as airfare, shore excursions, gratuities and internet I suspect the price of this cruise will end up being close to the same as an equivalent Regent cruise. If Regent comes out with a similar itinerary for 2016 we could end up switching back. We really prefer smaller ships.

To the poster that expressed concern about not fitting in on a luxury cruise I can assure you that at least on Regent it has the least 'class' obsessive cruise passengers I have ever sailed with. We had some of the same concerns for our first Regent cruise but it was in fact the most casual and relaxed group I have ever cruised with.

I suspect Celebrity is going this route to attract or keep cruisers that would otherwise go on a luxury cruise line or that want that kind of experience but on larger ships.

As I've previously written, Regent was my favorite cruiseline before I sailed on Celebrity. Hopefully your cruise is AFTER 4/15 so you will be able to experience the new suite restaurant, otherwise you may be disappointed with the food.

The ship itself is much nicer than the older Regent ships. Regent does have a newer ship being built for 2016.

The " extras " on Celebrity do add up. Hopefully you got the " pick your perk" promotion, so at least the basic beverage package is covered. You would need to upgrade to the premium package to be able to drink the types of wines included on Regent.

This thread has been an interesting read. And it's all about "Class" and what it is perceived to be.

We have booked Suites for the past several years. But it is for the additional space. I confess...I'm an over-packer. An affliction that I doubt will ever be brought under control. I like the addtional closet space, the bathroom space, and the drawer space.

So in our case...size matters. Not the traditional "class" distinction...just size. We usually travel with friends, that book in all different cabin categories, so the "suite perks" aren't applicable in our situation.

In the end it's all about personal choice. Different people, different priorities. A Suite is not attractive to me since I receive Suite perks in whatever cabin I book . However I might book one once the new Suite Restaurant is open just to give it a try. The Restaurant might be e key to the success of the new strategy. It really needs to be knockout great!

We will be elite plus in one more cruise so we will have most all the suite perks too except those upper class suites with free bev pkg, free internet, and free spec rest. It will be interesting to go to the "suites only" restaurant on the TA next April and you're right it needs to be "knock out great" to justify the cost for a non-suite guest to eat with a suite guest. But we just could never justify paying $23,000 for any stateroom for a single cruise...unless of course we win a lottery!!!:D

I wonder if the new restaurant will employ " real " chefs, and cook ala minute, have the ability to create menus , specials etc...can and will they source local ingredients, FRESH fish etc...all things Celebrity has never done.

The smaller " premium " cruiselines can and do this, that's what makes them special. I jexperienced it on Seabourn in May. We saw some of the chefs in port buying fresh. food for the menus.

Two Executive Chefs told me that what you suggest will in fact be the case. They will use fresh, locally purchased ingredients and will be able to prepare most requests. I suggested to one Hotel Director that Zeniths should be allowed to dine there if space is available at an additional charge. He agreed and said that the dinner charge should be at least $50 per person since it will be much better than any Specialty Restaurant. Only time will tell.

He agreed and said that the dinner charge should be at least $50 per person since it will be much better than any Specialty Restaurant. Only time will tell.

$50.00 per person is the announced price for any guest of a suite guest so I gather he was saying that Zenith will pay the same....

$50.00 per person is the announced price for any guest of a suite guest so I gather he was saying that Zenith will pay the same....

This remark was made well before the announced price. At this point Zenith level passengers will not be permitted to dine in the new Suite Restaurant and I don't think it will change. It will be a small venue and they need to see how it is used. IMHO they need to keep it as exclusive as possible or else it will lose it's appeal to many. New concept and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

the dinner charge should be at least $50 per person since it will be much better than any Specialty Restaurant. Only time will tell.

At $100 a couple . . . or maybe HIGHER . . . then the dining experience had better be very, very special. Look forward to hearing more details and reports of those visiting there in the future. Some will spend more, just because it is the most costly. Most, including us, will not.

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 24,794 views for this posting.

At $100 a couple . . . or maybe HIGHER . . . then the dining experience had better be very, very special. Look forward to hearing more details and reports of those visiting there in the future. Some will spend more, just because it is the most costly. Most, including us, will not.

I would definitely pay $50 if that option is available.

Suite guest are going to be very popular if it is! I can't believe that they would have enough room...but I guess it will be on as is available with reservations basis.

Tuscan Grill is $45, and it is barely better than Olive Garden. The NY strip steak is 1/2 thick and tough, the fish is frozen and the pasta is choose a sauce.

This thread has been an interesting read. And it's all about "Class" and what it is perceived to be.

We have booked Suites for the past several years. But it is for the additional space. I confess...I'm an over-packer. An affliction that I doubt will ever be brought under control. I like the addtional closet space, the bathroom space, and the drawer space.

So in our case...size matters. Not the traditional "class" distinction...just size. We usually travel with friends, that book in all different cabin categories, so the "suite perks" aren't applicable in our situation.

Us too and we both have one other problem...snoring husbands so it's nice if I have to move just a little farther away. With the increases I'm seeing in prices, I don't know how many more suites I'll be booking since we probably wouldn't use many of the other benefits. I guess it's time for the earplugs. LOL

Edited by Ma Bell