Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

As much as I would like to go to new Suite restaurant, I think as a Suite guest, I would want it kept to that. It will be interesting. What I wonder is how they can create sufficient increased value to charge double or more per passenger for Suite fares. I am not sure what other value is being added to the Suite experience. Any thoughts?

As I've previously written, Regent was my favorite cruiseline before I sailed on Celebrity. Hopefully your cruise is AFTER 4/15 so you will be able to experience the new suite restaurant, otherwise you may be disappointed with the food.

The ship itself is much nicer than the older Regent ships. Regent does have a newer ship being built for 2016.

The " extras " on Celebrity do add up. Hopefully you got the " pick your perk" promotion, so at least the basic beverage package is covered. You would need to upgrade to the premium package to be able to drink the types of wines included on Regent.

Yes our cruise is after 4/15 and we have the classic beverage package from 123 Go. Thanks for the info on upgrading to the premium package. I have been wondering if we would need to do that and now i know we will.

The ship that we will be on is the Millie which is one of the older Celebrity ships so not sure how it will compare to Regent's older ships. Our next cruise in a couple of months is on Regent Voyager and it had a big refurb late last year so it will be interesting to see how it looks now.

Thanks for all the advice.

I am wondering (I seem to do that alot) where those custom cooking gourmet chefs will be preparing the meals for the suite restaurant on the M-class ships....there isn't that much space for another kitchen. Will Celebrity move to TV dinners for the MDR? Will the Blu dinners become re-plated MDR dishes? Inquiring minds want to know, but I guess we all have to wait to see how this all plays out.

I'm wondering where they will fit in an entirely new kitchen on any of the ships.

This is supposing that they will actually build a dedicated " new " kitchen for the Suite restaurant. It needs to be in fairly close proximity for serving purposes, one would hope you won't hear " hot plate " , meaning the prepared food sat under a heat lamp until the wait staff got to it....

The $5.00 was pretty faithfully charged for the first few years....not so much since 2012 or so....

Am sure they won't do the same for the Suite restaurants and I believe you will find Blu much more like it was when it first came on board once the suite guests have their own venue. I love Blu....it is SO MUCH better than the MDR and obviously the suite guests came to realize that over the years which is why it has just gotten busier and busier....the new Suite dining room should bring things more back to normal for Blu and AQ guests.

I have been a realists lately in my thinking, however I hold out hope for this.

Once they move resources on board for a suite dining room, I hope they also service and menu lift Blu and the existing specialty restaurants. Hey, lets get what we pay for for those restaurants. Then some suite passengers will eat their too and there will be room for Zeniths in Suite class restaurant.

FYI I was charged over half the time to eat in Blu. I wish they had called it a charge, calling it a tip bugged me since we were prepaid.

I believe that these two posts point to why Celebrity have felt the need to add the suite restaurant. Guests in suites have always felt it to be an anomaly that Blu guests received a perceived higher perk than suite guests when, in all other cases, each higher category included all the perks of the lower category plus their own. [incidentally, the complimentary water in-stateroom was a similar anomaly they have also addressed.]

It was also becoming more and more common for guests in higher suites to eat only in the speciality restaurants and the restrictive menus offered was becoming a bigger and bigger issue. The specialty restaurants were clearly designed to be an occasional "special occasion" dining venue.

Introducing the suite restaurant addresses both these issues whist, at the same time, reducing the issues that were putting Blu and the specialty restaurants under pressure. It should be seen as the win-win that it is and not the negative that some of the posters on this thread want to make it.

I believe that these two posts point to why Celebrity have felt the need to add the suite restaurant. Guests in suites have always felt it to be an anomaly that Blu guests received a perceived higher perk than suite guests when, in all other cases, each higher category included all the perks of the lower category plus their own. [incidentally, the complimentary water in-stateroom was a similar anomaly they have also addressed.]

It was also becoming more and more common for guests in higher suites to eat only in the speciality restaurants and the restrictive menus offered was becoming a bigger and bigger issue. The specialty restaurants were clearly designed to be an occasional "special occasion" dining venue.

Introducing the suite restaurant addresses both these issues whist, at the same time, reducing the issues that were putting Blu and the specialty restaurants under pressure. It should be seen as the win-win that it is and not the negative that some of the posters on this thread want to make it.

It's a win-win if the new Suite restaurant is good enough to justify an additional 300$+ per night in price. That's a tall order . It's not any different than what many people post about their calculation on whether or not AQ is worth an additional $100+ per night to eat in Blu.

I've made the decision to cruise on premium lines on smaller newer ships vs paying the new Suite price of $1000 per night.

It's a win-win if the new Suite restaurant is good enough to justify an additional 300$+ per night in price. That's a tall order . It's not any different than what many people post about their calculation on whether or not AQ is worth an additional $100+ per night to eat in Blu.

I've made the decision to cruise on premium lines on smaller newer ships vs paying the new Suite price of $1000 per night.

If you prefer the smaller ships then, whatever Celebrity do, they are not going to be able to do anything to make themselves more attractive to you. The size of the ships is not going to reduce. For those, like me, for whom the negative aspects of the smaller ships well outweigh the positive, what Celebrity is offering with the new suite class is a huge positive. At this stage, long before anyone can experience the new suite restaurant, we have to believe that Celebrity will deliver something close to what it has proposed.

I haven't made the decision to leave X but will not be booking suites at the new price levels....we were SO lucky to get the CS that we have for our TA as it was before the announcement of the new suite perks....after that we will be back to AQ or just a veranda.....$1000+ a night per person most likely restricts those bookings to the proverbial 1% we keep hearing about in the USA. Or a lottery winner.....:D

$1000+ a night per person most likely restricts those bookings to the proverbial 1% we keep hearing about in the USA.

I think you would be very surprised at the financial position of cruise passengers in any class cabin. Based on experience, there are many suite guests who are not in the 1% and that will continue. Similarly, you find a number of 1% folks in Veranda cabins...and even some in inside cabins.

I think you would be very surprised at the financial position of cruise passengers in any class cabin. Based on experience, there are many suite guests who are not in the 1% and that will continue. Similarly, you find a number of 1% folks in Veranda cabins...and even some in inside cabins.

am sure you're right.....was being snarky in my comment based on what I see as horribly inflated prices for the suites beginning next year....(hence the "winning a lottery" comment too...)

I have no doubt that many of the "1%'s" are in insides/oceanview/veranda cabins....probably at least part of the reason they got to that "1%" level....lol....smarter than most of us...me included.....

I have no doubt that many of the "1%'s" are in insides/oceanview/veranda cabins....probably at least part of the reason they got to that "1%" level....lol....smarter than most of us...me included.....

That is so correct! My Daddy always told me that you don't get rich by spending money, investing yes, but not spending. I doubt that anyone can claim the money spent on a suite is "investing".

am sure you're right.....was being snarky in my comment based on what I see as horribly inflated prices for the suites beginning next year....(hence the "winning a lottery" comment too...) I have no doubt that many of the "1%'s" are in insides/oceanview/veranda cabins....probably at least part of the reason they got to that "1%" level....lol....smarter than most of us...me included.....

Appreciate these added items of "discussions" and interesting opinions, info, etc. On the above comment about "horribly inflated prices for the suites beginning next year", remember that the "market place" will work its "magic", up or down!!

Celebrity has to "guess", based on past sales and their view of the upcoming economic direction to set the prices at the "right" level. In some cases in the past, they set their prices for suites and other rooms too low for the value, timing and demand and certain suites got booked too quickly at too low of a price. In other cases, the "sticker price" was too high and they had to make downward adjustments to reflect the lack of market demand, interest.

Celebrity and other cruise lines have lots of space to sell every week. Their computers and staff are fairly smart, but there are always adjustments to be made to match customer interest and demand. Personally, I have seen these "trends" work both ways. On our Aust-NZ cruise noted below, many suites booked up fairly early and we could see how this cruise and its timing drove prices up, UP on remaining inventory. But for similar cruises in November and early December, Celebrity had to reduce prices to fill up the ship.

It's all Economics 101!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 78,716 views for this fun posting.

Guests in suites have always felt it to be an anomaly that Blu guests received a perceived higher perk than suite guests when, in all other cases, each higher category included all the perks of the lower category plus their own. [incidentally, the complimentary water in-stateroom was a similar anomaly they have also addressed.]

I agree. After booking SS after AQ it was odd. I loved the idea of the Aqua suite for that reason. We made these comments in evaluations as well. Although we never made it to Reflection.

I also agree if well executed the suite dining will be a good thing.

That is so correct! My Daddy always told me that you don't get rich by spending money, investing yes, but not spending. I doubt that anyone can claim the money spent on a suite is "investing".

Agree as well. Some people are more intent on keeping and growing money and are content with insides and verandas. There are no rules that certain income levels must spend and that those in the middle can't.

Never underestimate the value of a " lifestyle " investment. You only live once, and you can't take it with you. That doesn't mean booking a Sky suite for $1000 per night, given the alternatives at that price point is necessarily a good idea...

Re: smaller ships @ Project Gal : I agree that larger ships have attractive features, especially for TA's. For port intensive cruises, smaller ships ( 400-600 passengers ) can go to more interesting ports that the big boys can't go to. For some that cruise a lot, the same ports the bigger ships visit tend to get repetitive. Lastly, the food cooked for fewer passengers is often far superior to the assembly line food on larger ships, and the service is more personal, the lunch buffet has better food and is more civilized...no " Lord of the Flys " as is sometimes experienced at the Oceanview Cafe. My opinion only

Lastly , I hope that Celebrity succeeds at making the new Suite restaurant a true departure from its current restaurants. I am staying in a suite on the Silhouette for a month beginning in a few weeks, and I'm eying a cruise on the Solstice a year from now...I'm certainly not abandoning Celebrity

Edited by Kevnzworld

am sure you're right.....was being snarky in my comment based on what I see as horribly inflated prices for the suites beginning next year....(hence the "winning a lottery" comment too...)

:cool: All this talk about "CLASS" is humorous. I have been sailing for quite a while now. Sprinkle my cruises in with my land vacations. I started out with my wife and two daughters in a 117 sq ft inside on RCCL. In fact, have a few of them. Finally worked my way to balcony, then Jr. Suite, then suite. I always thought that once I at least had a balcony that I "could never go back". I was wrong. Friends were asked to go on a cruise with us. They declined. Their daughter overheard the conversation and arranged for the kids to give them the cruise for a anniversary present. In order to help them out, I booked inside cabins for all of us. I saved $$$, and actually enjoyed inside. I took my first Celeb last summer. 12 night Baltic. Remembering how shore intensive my previous 12 nt Med cruise was, I again booked inside thinking that I would not spend much time in cabin, and I could spend $$on excursions (St Petersburg etc). Again a good decision. Now I am booked again on Celeb, eastern Med. I have moved back to balcony. I want to see those great med views. I enjoy MDR. I eat 2 nights at spec rest. I am in Elite status and get some perks. I do not need Blu or anything else. I can afford it, but just don't need any more than what I pay for. If I do, I will:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Edited by sailawayjack

This talk of class, come on it's a cruise ship not the 1800's England.

There seems to be two topics in recent times which get the Celebrity boards debating in significant numbers, social class and children. I do sometimes wonder if these debates on class are as a consequence of Downton Abbey being popular around the world.

Like most of North America, the cruiseship passengers are very middle class, be it Upper middle (Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, large business owners)etc, Middle, middle (Teachers (That is what I was!) small business people, white collar workers, etc or Lower middle (blue collar workers). We have met many pax from each of these categories. That's what makes travelling on a ship interesting. (Can't you tell I studied sociology in University!!)

I have never, on a cruise, met the Upper class (aristocracy in Europe or Kennedy's in US) or the Lower class (Welfare recipients).

But this thread has morphed into a Suite discussion, which I find so amusing. So many in balcony cabins aspire to suites. We, however, remain faithful to our inside cabins and have no desire to spend more for a balcony!

Just FYI, I don't think we fall into the 1% (lol).

We sailed on Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Eclipse in inside cabins in the last few years.

As an American, I felt more of a class system on Cunard. I think that is because a lot of the wonderful activities on the ship such as afternoon tea and formal dances (including synchronized ballroom dancing) were unfamiliar and had us feeling that we were play acting. Obviously, no problem since we went back a second time for the right itinerary but as an American I might have said there was a class difference when it was more of a culture difference. I did both cruises without knowing or caring where the private areas were. What did bother me that there was no inside pool for everyone else on QV and QE. That is the only thing I missed.

As far as eating, I like traditional dining and I am only aware of the people at my table and maybe those at the tables next to me. I could not care less where the other people on the ship eat.

I never saw any class differences on Celebrity. Maybe perk differences but not class differences.

I didn't expect the amazing response this thread would generate! It seems to me that 'class distinction' has totally different meanings to we in UK and our American friends. I think I would now consider a Cunard cruise, in common with Celebrity, it's not upbringing, or inherited wealth that defines 'class' it seems that it's actually a lifestyle choice or affordability. I have sailed in inside cabins, outsides and balconies. I now choose balconies where possible because I like the idea that, when I want to, I can sit there in relative peace without the forced entertainment that cruise lines seem to think we all want. I do aspire to a suite and maybe in the future we will take one, but for now, a balcony will do fine. We tend to cruise for the itinerary rather than the ship. Having said that, our next celebrity cruise is the western med and we are doing that for the ship rather than the itinerary. We enjoyed Eclipse so much last time! Somebody once said to me that you should find your happiness level and stick to it, and for us, concierge is our happiness level, for now anyway. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And when space is available.

Never underestimate the value of a " lifestyle " investment. You only live once, and you can't take it with you. That doesn't mean booking a Sky suite for $1000 per night, given the alternatives at that price point is necessarily a good idea...

Exactly! When my thrifty (to put it kindly) MIL goes apoplectic about our travels, I tell her I'd sooner have the memories for under the bridge than a fat bank account I can't enjoy, should I make it to the assisted living years.

I also agree about spending that kind of money on a smaller, more luxurious ship. Although we've only three cruises under our belts, we're ready for Eastern Med ports where the big ships can't go. If I spend $1000 dollars a day, I want local cuisine, not generic cruise food and wine. On board activities, or lack thereof, make no difference.

Shot2bits, indeed, you started an interesting thread. My mom always told me that class is neither inherited nor bought. That, of course, is a matter of semantics. Cruise ship classes are merely purchases, and I really don't understand the obsession with it. As long as I have a balcony, the Sunset Bar, and amazing antiquities to visit, I don't give a rat's patoutie what amenities others have purchased. To each our own.

We sailed on Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Eclipse in inside cabins in the last few years.

As an American, I felt more of a class system on Cunard. I think that is because a lot of the wonderful activities on the ship such as afternoon tea and formal dances (including synchronized ballroom dancing) were unfamiliar and had us feeling that we were play acting. .......

What a strange observation. The ballroom dancing isn't to everyone's taste (certainly not mine) but it does appeal to a certain demographic. Generally, in the UK, ballroom dancing wasn't a pastime for the so-called upper classes, it was just a great way for my lowly dad to meet my equally lowly mum.

Even the fencing classes are multi-audience, no differentiation whether you are a rower in the bowels of the ship or looking over the stern with a balcony the size of a tennis court.

There ain't no pockets in a funeral shroud.

Re: smaller ships @ Project Gal : I agree that larger ships have attractive features, especially for TA's. For port intensive cruises, smaller ships ( 400-600 passengers ) can go to more interesting ports that the big boys can't go to. For some that cruise a lot, the same ports the bigger ships visit tend to get repetitive. Lastly, the food cooked for fewer passengers is often far superior to the assembly line food on larger ships, and the service is more personal, the lunch buffet has better food and is more civilized...no " Lord of the Flys " as is sometimes experienced at the Oceanview Cafe. My opinion only

Lastly , I hope that Celebrity succeeds at making the new Suite restaurant a true departure from its current restaurants. I am staying in a suite on the Silhouette for a month beginning in a few weeks, and I'm eying a cruise on the Solstice a year from now...I'm certainly not abandoning Celebrity

Kevin

The $1000 per night you are quoting, is that per couple? I am looking for next Sep/Oct and they are around $300-400 per night pp. Is that what you are speaking of?

Kevin

The $1000 per night you are quoting, is that per couple? I am looking for next Sep/Oct and they are around $300-400 per night pp. Is that what you are speaking of?

I have used that same $1000 per night figure and been talking only about suites which have the new benefits (CS and above) so maybe that is what Kevin is referring to, also. Everything I see is $1000 and above, double occupancy in the shoulder months. Go in the middle of the summer next year and you are looking at some cruises in the $1300 to $1500 per day range.