Almost Live -Japan Grand Adventure 9/18 - 10/15 -

jayne62

Hi, we are flying out tonight to embark on the Diamond Princess tomorrow for 27 days of cruising around Japan and I'd love to share the trip here with fellow cruise lovers.

I'm not sure how 'live' I'll be able to be but I will be posting regularly throughout the trip and I'm happy to try and answer any questions if I can. I have got the tapatalk app and we'll get a sim card when we arrive so I should be able to post as we are out and about. I know how much pleasure I have had following other peoples cruise threads so I thought I'd give it a go. It's also great to share the excitement - which at the moment is pretty high!

I have also set up a blog for family and friends that you're welcome to visit ( http://www.bucketlisttraveller.com/ ) but I will probably post more detail here, and share things that non cruisers might not be interested in.

OK, I still have my bag to pack and need to make a last minute run to the corner store for a few things. Only nine hours till we start the first leg of our journey to Japan! :D

Edited by jayne62

Hi, we are flying out tonight to embark on the Diamond Princess tomorrow for 27 days of cruising around Japan and I'd love to share the trip here with fellow cruise lovers.

I'm not sure how 'live' I'll be able to be but I will be posting regularly throughout the trip and I'm happy to try and answer any questions if I can. I have got the tapatalk app and we'll get a sim card when we arrive so I should be able to post as we are out and about. I know how much pleasure I have had following other peoples cruise threads so I thought I'd give it a go. It's also great to share the excitement - which at the moment is pretty high!

I have also set up a blog for family and friends that you're welcome to visit ( http://www.bucketlisttraveller.com/ ) but I will probably post more detail here, and share things that non cruisers might not be interested in.

OK, I still have my bag to pack and need to make a last minute run to the corner store for a few things. Only nine hours till we start the first leg of our journey to Japan! :D

Will be interested in your views since our friends have been on for the first two legs and will also be on for your cruise. We've been getting timely emails and it's always nice to hear another point of view.

Enjoy. I'll be looking for it.

I'll be very interesting in following your posts, Jayne. My husband, our adult daughter and I will be embarking as you are disembarking on 15th October so I will look forward to reading about your experiences and any tips or suggestions.

I have read about the new toilets thanks to Lanwood's reviews and have also contacted Princess direct about food and menus as my daughter has a seafood allergy and we were a bit concerned about the changes to the menu for the Japanese market. But it's always good to hear about fellow Aussies experiences. Thank you.

I'll be very interesting in following your posts, Jayne. My husband, our adult daughter and I will be embarking as you are disembarking on 15th October so I will look forward to reading about your experiences and any tips or suggestions.

I have read about the new toilets thanks to Lanwood's reviews and have also contacted Princess direct about food and menus as my daughter has a seafood allergy and we were a bit concerned about the changes to the menu for the Japanese market. But it's always good to hear about fellow Aussies experiences. Thank you.

Not an Aussie here, more Kiwi, my wife having been born there but I'm sure you won't hold that against me.

We were on Diamond last July for an eleven day cruise. Food for Westerners was absolutely no problem, I'd say the Japanese food was in addition to the usual Western. From what I saw the Japanese ate as much Western as Japanese.

We're vegetarians and we had no problems although for us it wasn't, in the MDR, quite as good as P&O.

Edited by Turbofun

thanks so much for replies, It will be nice to share the trip with you all.

I'm flat out getting the last few things organised here so excuse me not replying to everyone.

sdngirl- I'll post more to this thread than on my blog -I find fellow cruisers enjoy more of the details about daily cruise life

lintywhite - I have celiacs and a few other allergies so I understand about the food concerns, I will let you know whats on the menu and how it goes in the dining room.

time to do one last check and the the bags are done!

sdngirl- I'll post more to this thread than on my blog -I find fellow cruisers enjoy more of the details about daily cruise life

time to do one last check and the the bags are done!

thank you. i'll be reading along! bon voyage!

Thanks for doing this. We will be cruising on the Diamond Princess next June so will be interested in anything you have to say. If possible, would like to know if there is any problem using non-chip debit cards in ATMs in the airport to get Yen. Read somewhere - don't remember where - that this could be a problem.

Not sure about the non chipped cards, all of ours have chips in them.

Will definitely post some pics so you can see the upgrades.

Bags are packed. Will be heading off to our local airport shortly. Next stop Sydney! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410931612.933849.jpg.279b05c454f6f9704a129dfa72266793.jpg

BonVoyage.jpg

Safe travels to your embarkation point. I am looking forward to reading your future reports.....:):):)

Bob

I have just returned from the 31st August 9 night Kyushu & Onsens cruise on Diamond Princess and can only tell you that you should be excited because it will be a great cruise. I just had a great time over there that I want to go back and see some more. You are well looked after on the ship and the crew are very friendly. It was an outstanding cruise I just had and Japan was a very friendly place.

Have a great trip. From my experience I had a awesome time there.

Thank you so very much for taking this on. I know that many of us are very interested in how the "Diamond" fared after the most recent refit for Asia. DW and I spent two weeks on her a couple of years ago (Sydney, Hobart, then on to New Zealand). I must say that she is a beautiful ship and IMHO wonderfully ran as well. We are again booked on the Diamond for a Singapore to Tokyo cruise in April 2016. Please have a wonderful and safe trip.

Thanks for the good wishes and lovely to hear from others who've been on the japan cruises. We've arrived at Sydney airport, cleared customs and have just sat down for a cuppa.

Our flight to Sydney was delayed a half hour but everything else has gone well.

We got some yen here rather than try and do it tomorrow.

Our flight is actually overbooked and they did ask us if we wanted to fly out tomorrow ... Of course we declined :)

Nearly Time to head down to the boarding area. Next stop japan!

Have a great cruise. My ssiter-in-law came back from a cruise on Diamond last week. They really enjoyed it. They were in a mini-suite so had the bidet toilet seats, which she really liked. They enjoyed the food on the cruise, including the buffet restaurant although she referred to that as "The Piggery" :eek:

Looking forward to your comments about the ship :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I am looking forward to seeing your comments regarding the cruise experience! I would love to know:

- rough passenger ratios (native English-speakers to native Asian language speakers)

- what kinds of entertainment are offered (musicals, comedians, magicians, hypnotists, musicians, signers. etc.)

- whether or not trivia and game shows are offered, and in what language(s)

- availability of English shore excursions

Thank you!

I am looking forward to seeing your comments regarding the cruise experience! I would love to know:

- rough passenger ratios (native English-speakers to native Asian language speakers)

- what kinds of entertainment are offered (musicals, comedians, magicians, hypnotists, musicians, signers. etc.)

- whether or not trivia and game shows are offered, and in what language(s)

- availability of English shore excursions

Thank you!

The following is an excerpt from email receive this morning from friends currently on board. The passenger ratio is mostly Australians; very little Japanese. They have been on for two cruises and will remain on for the next one too.

Treats for today courtesy of Princess Cruises: a concert on the movie screen called Mumford & Sons, The Road To Red Rock! ,

The movie Gravity with Japanese subtitles,

An old Paul McCartney concert (MUTS) followed by "X-men, days of future past, first in English immediately followed by the same but dubbed in, you guessed it, Japanese.

Evening show time: Rakugo, traditional Japanese story-telling.

And, of course, Karaoke.

Do you think there is a certain amount of pandering to a minority of passengers aboard this ship?