Cabo San Lucas Hurricane Damage

AliMar

I agree, it appears it will be quite some time before cruise ships call on Cabo again. As the days pass, more and more photos/videos/news reports are available showing exactly what has and is happening there. Such a sad situation. So far, no new routing information from Princess... we sail next Tuesday, with a stop in Cabo scheduled on Friday. So hoping it's not too late to substitute a different port of call on our way toward the Panama Canal. We shall see...

As far as Carnival, I got an updated response on FB this morning that is still pretty vague:

John Raabe Here's Carnival's statement:

We don’t have a ship scheduled to call in Cabo San Lucas until early October (Carnival Miracle). We will continue to assess the situation during the intervening time period.

We are also looking at ways we may be able to assist with local relief efforts.

Cabo San Lucas has been a popular port with Carnival guests for many years and our thoughts and prayers are with the people of the community at this time.

1 hr · Like

The pictures make me sad, so much devastation in such a beautiful place :(. We sail on 10/4 and I can't imagine them keeping the same itinerary but according to the response I got on John Healds FB page, there are no changes at this time.

We, too, are scheduled to be aboard the Oct 4 sailing of Carnival Miracle. I can't see it as likely we will have a port call in Cabo. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see us anchor to offload relief supplies. I would like to go to Mazatlan instead, and add an overnight in Puerto Vallarta. The Secrets resorts we were going to visit during the Oct 5/6 port call won't even be open they said until weeks later than our scheduled port call. I'm not interested in visiting Cabo right now.

From AMResorts today: We are extremely pleased to confirm that all remaining guests have left Los Cabos.

As a reminder regarding hotel status: Based on initial reports with respect to clean-up time necessary, we have extended the reopening date of Zoëtry Casa del Mar, Secrets Puerto Los Cabos, Secrets Marquis and Dreams Los Cabos to October 15th.

Just received notification from Princess that we will not call on Cabo on Friday, 9/26. Instead we will be calling on Puerto Vallarta. I am relieved that they were able to make arrangement for this change so close to our sail date. Otherwise, we would have had 6 sea days in a row, which would have been fine, but happy to have the break in between.

We, too, are sailing on Carnival Miracle October 11th, were supposed to be in Cabo for two days, always one of our favorite ports. So very sad for the people of this beautiful town. I spoke with Carnival earlier in the week and they just said they would update us if there were any itinerary changes. I did suggest Catalina or even San Diego as replacements, but please not Ensenada. At this time without Cabo our only port for one day would be Puerto Vallarta. Waiting for further announcements and prayers for the people of Cabo.

FYI, a few years back there was a cyclone in the South Pacific and a Princess ship delivered tons of much needed supplies. That might be the case for ships calling in Baja...

RCCL did the same for Haiti after the earthquake there a couple of years ago since they were stopping at Labadee on the island.

This is the tender pier in Cabo:

I live in Cabo during the winter so I have been on several Face Book sites where you can really get the inside scoop. As for rebuilding, it is going much faster than many would imagine. One of the reasons I picked Mexico for a second home is the Mexican people are can do type of people. There is no welfare in Mexico, if you don't work, you don't eat. Many of the workers in the restaurants and hotels have lost their homes but continue to come to work and take care of the guest, and from what is being reported, in a kind and courteous fashion.

Power and running water has been restored to much of the town. As you can see by the picture, it will take awhile to put the tender pier back together, but you better believe, they want it back as soon as possible. All of the vendors on that side of the Marina have very long, slow summers because there are no ships coming in.

Many of the big resorts were damaged, but they are working hard to put them back together. Most will be back in business by mid-October, but a few will not re-open until early 2015.

I was very fortunate, my condo survived with one broken window. I have a wonderful neighbor who lives there full time that emptied out my freezer and fridge for me.

I'm happy to help with any questions.

This is the tender pier in Cabo:

I live in Cabo during the winter so I have been on several Face Book sites where you can really get the inside scoop. As for rebuilding, it is going much faster than many would imagine. One of the reasons I picked Mexico for a second home is the Mexican people are can do type of people. There is no welfare in Mexico, if you don't work, you don't eat. Many of the workers in the restaurants and hotels have lost their homes but continue to come to work and take care of the guest, and from what is being reported, in a kind and courteous fashion.

Power and running water has been restored to much of the town. As you can see by the picture, it will take awhile to put the tender pier back together, but you better believe, they want it back as soon as possible. All of the vendors on that side of the Marina have very long, slow summers because there are no ships coming in.

Many of the big resorts were damaged, but they are working hard to put them back together. Most will be back in business by mid-October, but a few will not re-open until early 2015.

I was very fortunate, my condo survived with one broken window. I have a wonderful neighbor who lives there full time that emptied out my freezer and fridge for me.

I'm happy to help with any questions.

That's good news. My family and I were forced to change our plans for a Cabo Halloween, to PV. The Condo that we have rented twice a year for the past 6 years suffered "significant damage" (the owner's words). Although I'm certain that we will have a good time in PV, we're heartsick over the destruction and hardships being suffered by those in Cabo.

We received this from Diamond Resorts this morning -

Update on Aftermath of Hurricane Odile in Baja California Sur

It has been nearly two weeks since Hurricane Odile hit Baja California Sur and is now widely recognized as the worst hurricane to make landfall in the area for 50 years. The Mexican Government declared a State of Emergency for the area, and there have been up to 7,000 military personnel keeping rule and providing security services in the aftermath. As you know, all guests at the resort were successfully evacuated along with 25,000 other tourists who were there at the time. Feedback from the guests has been very complimentary about the resort team members, who were completely dedicated to ensuring their well-being until safe travels could be arranged.

The hurricane has caused wide spread damage to the entire region, and has made even local travel extremely difficult. Many residents have lost their homes, which were completely destroyed by the strength of the winds and torrential rain. The Los Cabos International Airport, whose terminal buildings were devastated in the storm, is forecasting full recovery of the facilities will take place gradually and are anticipated being completed prior to November 25, 2014. The most recent information is that flights will resume tentatively on October 8, accordingly to Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico’s last press release, who operates the airport. Even now, only 20% of homes, resorts and hotels in the Los Cabos area have electricity and water services. Cabo Azul Resort is extremely lucky to be one of those resorts, and this has helped enormously with the clean-up efforts. Cabo Azul Resort itself did sustain some damage. There were blown out windows in a number of rooms, some ceilings that had collapsed due to the weight of water, and the pool is filled with sand and debris. We now have an insurance review team on-site along with a remediation team to help with the initial repair work.

At this time, all guests with reservations up to the end of November 2014 are being contacted to discuss their booking being cancelled and possibly rebooked elsewhere. Please e-mail us at CaboAzulInfo@diamondresorts.com if we have not yet managed to contact you directly. Currently, we are not taking new reservations for Cabo Azul Resort until after January 2, 2015 in order to give the resort time to regain all facilities and let the local area resume their usual services as well. This is subject to change. If the resort can be opened earlier, we will certainly review those booking conditions and let everyone know if anything changes.

Diamond Resorts has been overwhelmed by the dedication of the resort team at Cabo Azul Resort, who still returns to the resort each day to assist in the clean-up operations. We want to thank everyone involved for all their hard work. While we have been able to supply immediate aid, the Diamond Resorts Foundation(DRIF) has initiated an Emergency Relief Fund for the local community. Should you be interested in making a tax-deductible donation, you may write a check to the DRI Foundation or donate by credit card by visiting DRIFEmergencyReliefFund.org. The Diamond Resorts Foundation has partnered with a local non-profit in Mexico that will deliver necessary aid to our team members, their families and locals in the area who have been affected by this disaster. The funds raised will initially be allocated to the Mexico relief efforts. If the Foundation determines that sufficient funds have been distributed to support those affected in Mexico, additional funds raised for the Emergency Relief Fund of the DRI Foundation are anticipated to be used to support other emergency relief efforts that may arise in the future.

does not look good for our oct 4th visit on the miracle...no word from carnival ..any updated pier pics???..if the tender dock is still a mess it would be obvious that will bypass that port.

JGB

does not look good for our oct 4th visit on the miracle...no word from carnival ..any updated pier pics???..if the tender dock is still a mess it would be obvious that will bypass that port.

JGB

Carnival is insisting on calling Cabo next Mon and Tues, Oct 6/7 and I just heard from ShoreTrips that the excursion I tried to book is not possible yet as the vendors are not ready for excursions. Great. And there is a 100% chance of precipitation Mon and 80% Tues. They are not bypassing it. They are bring some pallets of relief supplies request by local authorities.

Edited by jgawne

From friends in Cabo, and the view of one of the web cams, Carnival is in the harbor at Cabo right now. From reports of locals, I have been told that there are ships scheduled each day, next week.

Although the damage in Cabo was, in many places, severe, it appears that the area around the cruise docks, and the marina, has been restored and the owner's of those businesses are eager to receive visitors.

As for Medano Beach, I've not a clue. Many of the restaurants and cantinas had an army of workers repairing the damage. As a long time visitor to Cabo, I would guess that although not all is back to normal, it is back to more than "comfortable".

If I were booked on a cruise ship in the next few weeks, I would most certainly look forward to tendering in Cabo.

From friends in Cabo, and the view of one of the web cams, Carnival is in the harbor at Cabo right now. From reports of locals, I have been told that there are ships scheduled each day, next week.

Although the damage in Cabo was, in many places, severe, it appears that the area around the cruise docks, and the marina, has been restored and the owner's of those businesses are eager to receive visitors.

As for Medano Beach, I've not a clue. Many of the restaurants and cantinas had an army of workers repairing the damage. As a long time visitor to Cabo, I would guess that although not all is back to normal, it is back to more than "comfortable".

If I were booked on a cruise ship in the next few weeks, I would most certainly look forward to tendering in Cabo.

Wonder from your friends what Carnival ship is in Cabo port today?

Carnival Miracle is suppose to be there on October 6th & 7th.

I think Holland America is in Cabo today,Star Princess tomorrow.